Bay of Qunite - Walleye World

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you fish for spring walleye?

Oh Yeah!
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 22

Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bay of Qunite - Walleye World

Post by Seaweed »

Seaweed and Carlco are heading off to the Bay of Quinte on May 1 to get an early start on the season in Area 8 and at the same time to capture some monster walleye. Anyone else planning on going?

I thought it would be an interesting idea to create a discussion string that might help us to get to the trophy presentations with our Fish-Hawk hats securly in place where everyone can see them.

Basically I guess I am calling on the experience of our members to share what the would throw at these early season walleye or pike (tagged and largest pike prizes too). Having read last falls postings I have already a plan of action to get us started but I thought .... hey ask the boys at the board and lets see if we can`t win this thing. We will do the best we can and with Carlco's new boat it will be a fun day for sure.

We are both planning on hitting Baitcasters this weekend for Eye-Trackers walleye university course too. Lots to learn there I am sure. :P

So everyone who knows a little something about post spawn walleye be it in the Bay of Quinte or not..... share your style with us and lets catch more fish this season.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

I am heading down to opening weekend at the Bay of Quinte in Picton, with my Father and Brother-In-Law. They always look forward to opening weekend so I take them out and help them catch some spring walleye on the Bay of Quinte. I fish easy with them in the boat, we spend lots of time in restaurants eating and usually go to bed early, and get on the water late...but we have a great time. I usually start fishing this body of water hard after opening weekend and have caught some very nice spring walleye.

Spring is different then Fall on Quinte and the water temp along with the time of the spawn has a lot to do with finding walleye. I have never targeted pike so I can't give any info in that area.

If it is a late spawn then target the river mouths and near by flats in Trenton, Belleville and Napanee. Due to boat traffic jig'n is a good approach for these walleye.

If it is an early spawn then look for big walleye heading back out into Lake Ontario. Picton area is great for this...dusk and night time trolling or jigging on or around the points is a good bet.(Sherman's Point and Thompson’s Point ) During the day look for large schools of bait fish, troll around and through the bait fish. Look for hooks on your sonar to the sides of the bait fish schools...these are the fish you are targeting, note the depth and then try to run lures just above them. The B of Q is now a clear water fishery so you have to use Planer Boards to get the lures out and away from the boat so you don't spook the walleye. The stick baits like Rouges, Husky Jerks and Original Rapalas along with spinner rigs work best in spring trolled at 0.9 to 1.3 mph.

Seaweed: I will bring my Quinte maps on Saturday and help you and Carlco get on some post spawn walleye.

Good luck and have fun on a great body of water.

BTW here is some Bay of Quinte pike info...Quinte Spring Pike
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's what this site is all about!...Good Luck guys!

RJ
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Come on you guys ..... share the magic

Post by Seaweed »

Not too much being shared on this.... everyone hoarding thier walleye techniques?

Oh well I guess it will be up to just us guys to get a Fish-Hawk hat in the news down there. 8) I will no doubt hear everything I need to hear from Sheldon this weekend at Baitcasters at the first installment of Walleye University.
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Spring techniques

Post by roughrider »

Only having fished the bay last fall,I'm not sure I can help but I know tracker can give all you'll need to know for spring. 8) I won't be up till the 3rd week of may then the 1st. week in June.I'll be trolling the 30ft.plus depths from Picton out to the big lake.I'll be using cranks and worm harnesses off of planer brds and will also be trying spoons off of Dipsey divers. I'm looking for 60 degree waters to troll. If you research the Quinte board go back to last spring and see what others are doing in the spring.www.quintefishing.com :wink: good luck :wink: roughrider
ken & Jo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ken & Jo »

Sorry Seaweed,

while I've had a trailer on the BOQ for the last few years, I've never had ANY luck until around the begining of June. Tell ya' the truth I was waiting for Eyetracker to give us some tips :oops: If you have an FRS Radio bring it with ya'. Sounds like there'll be lots of Fish-hawkers on the Bay this year. Good luck and maybe see you next weekend! Can't wait!

Ken
the walleye hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by the walleye hunter »

A lot of planning must be done when going at the opener in Quinte. I can almost garantee you, if it's the first opener you do, you probably won't do too good. You must know all the holding spots and like eye tracker said, water tempurature is also key factor in finding those Quinte eyes. There is also lots of pressure on these fish as their are probably over 4000 boats in the whole bay. Lots of traffic. My best advice for you is probably to experiment with lots of techniques. If you are two in the boat, don't use the same thing unless you find a working pattern. Also, you may fish an area with no luck, and come back a few hours later, and it produces fish. If you find an area that produces lots of Pearch, trust me on this one, the Walleyes will eventually bite. Also bring extra clothes, because weather changes quick on Quinte...Good luck, and maybe we'll see you on the water.
Hunter.... :wink:
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

BoQ Openner

Post by Superdad »

I thought Eye-Tracker did a great job highlighting areas and lure combos.

Here's a place for those looking for more info on opening action plans and areas.

http://www.quintefishing.com/winning%20 ... 0picks.htm

Ken, Use the fall techniques and forget the summer patterns, you'll get a fish this year. Your confidence level is tops after last fall, nothing to stop you now. See you April 30th around 2000 hrs.

Best of luck to all on BoQ
David Delcloo aka Superdad
(Retired)

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturer of the UZICK Spinner
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Wow.... amazing

Post by Seaweed »

That is why I love this board. I am sure with this new info combined with the seminar tomorrow we will have the best chance to pull up a few walleye.

You guys are great! :wink:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I too figured eye-tracker covered it very well, thus no post. I am however more of a fall Quinte visitor. I like to eat the Wallies I catch so I tend to concentrate on my own area. That being the west end of the Ottawa River.
Just my opinion but, the big Quinte Wallies are not my idea of a good eat!
Don't anyone be offended :!:

I have so many places to try get to this year..as well as my usual haunts.

Goodluck Seaweed! With the new boat too :!:
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Off We Go

Post by Seaweed »

Well the countdown is on and I am prepping nightly when I get home.

Things To Do (Please input if you think I forgot something)

1 Change Line on rods
2 Run some Floro-leaders.
3 Find Rain Gear (Looks like it will be wet)
4 Inspect and re-inspect lure count and color selection, scent etc.
5 Put out layered clothing
6 Talk someone in the Bay of Quinte area into buying derby tickets for Carlco and I - willing to do money exchange on water if necessary.
7 Contact partner and ensure that he has a list going too.
8 Bring GPS and Maps (very important)
9 Pack Lifejacket (Supersize and hard to find)
10 Visit local tackle store in case I don`t have enough stuff (Just kidding honey... my budget is running slim)
11) Pack Fish-Hawk.net Hat for podium appearance.
12) Timmys Thermos and Drink and Food

We got enough room in that boat for a cooler Carlco..... for food and pop only of course. :lol:
the walleye hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by the walleye hunter »

Make sure you have your boaters liscense and all safety gear. Bucket, rope, flashlight, whissel, fire extuiguiser(if inboard tank). They will probably check you out. Just a heads up....
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Boaters License

Post by Seaweed »

Now correct me if I am wrong but you only need the operators license if you are born after '74 or if you are driving a craft that is 14.5 or shorter isn`t that correct. I understand that sooner or later I will have to do this but it isn`t this year is it? Dang that would be good to know .... good topic Walleyehunter :oops:

I guess I better visit that website and find out for sure.

Sure enough it reads as follows.

September 15, 2002
All operators of powered watercraft born after April 1, 1983.
All operators of powered watercraft under 4 meters, including PWC's, regardless of age of operator. more info...

September 15, 2009
All operators of powered watercraft

I have a few years yet..... that is dating me for sure though

Thanks for the heads up. :shock:

I think you needed to add a paddle to that list of important things in the boat too.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Off to Quinte

Post by Seaweed »

Well we are off to Quinte tonight and will launch around 11pm and be on top of fish to drop a line at midnight. We will fish until we can`t fish any more or until 5pm Saturday. :lol:

Anyone out check Channel 4 FRS for updates on how everyone is doing.

Watch for an update on Sunday ..... hopefully we will be posting some wild stories and some pics of pics to back them up. :P
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Wow the weather is gonna be fine

Post by Seaweed »

Well the weather forcast is a heck of a lot better than they called for on Monday for the Opening on the Bay of Qunite.

Folks never trust the weather man when making plans. I have seen this time and time again where people have cancelled making trips to a place because the seven day forcast said it was going to rain. Just do it... go and make the call when you get there.

Weather for tonight will be warm with light winds from the south with a slight chance of showers for tomorrow afternoon. I checked the water temps off of Amherst Island and they were in the mid 40's this morning and with todays sun they will push the temps in the Bay itself to the 50's perfect temps for the big hungry walleye sows to be chowing down.... :lol:

Can`t wait.... 8)

By the way anyone heading down and not having a derby ticket you can pick them up at the Kiwanis Club in Napanee before midnight tonite.... c ya on the water and from the podium hopefully.... will be monitoring FRS Channel 4 .... give us a shout. :lol: