Bay of Qunite - Walleye World

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you fish for spring walleye?

Oh Yeah!
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 18

Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bay of Qunite - Walleye World

Post by Seaweed »

Seaweed and Carlco are heading off to the Bay of Quinte on May 1 to get an early start on the season in Area 8 and at the same time to capture some monster walleye. Anyone else planning on going?

I thought it would be an interesting idea to create a discussion string that might help us to get to the trophy presentations with our Fish-Hawk hats securly in place where everyone can see them.

Basically I guess I am calling on the experience of our members to share what the would throw at these early season walleye or pike (tagged and largest pike prizes too). Having read last falls postings I have already a plan of action to get us started but I thought .... hey ask the boys at the board and lets see if we can`t win this thing. We will do the best we can and with Carlco's new boat it will be a fun day for sure.

We are both planning on hitting Baitcasters this weekend for Eye-Trackers walleye university course too. Lots to learn there I am sure. :P

So everyone who knows a little something about post spawn walleye be it in the Bay of Quinte or not..... share your style with us and lets catch more fish this season.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I had to vote no, because I've never fished for walleye, but I sure would like too!

I'll be keeping an eye on your reports and will definately plan a trip accordingly.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Markus,
You are sitting on the Meca of walleye fishing (Lake Erie)...

Go get em'....

Hey maybe we should get together on Erie, I will share my walleye wisdom and you can pass on some salmonoid vibes. :D
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Jamesh
Participant
Participant

Post by Jamesh »

When I use to go there qiute a few years ago we use to troll with #1 or#0 blue fox spinners tipped with a peice of worm and always got our limit. Trolled near the mouth of the river in Deseronto and the one day I personaly boated 107 pics by myself :D and the following year I had a couple buddies with me and we each had between 90-110 fish each for the day :D . Just add a couple split shots above the spinner to be just off bottom and hold on.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Jamesh...
How many years ago? I remember the walleye fishing at the mouths of the rivers was great around 1985, but that is almost 20 years ago. Now the water is gin clear and shallow water fishing during the day does not produce as many walleye as it did during the turbid days of Quinte. Night time is better, but I have not boated a large number of fish like you mention since the 80's.

cheers'
Sheldon Hatch
turkeyman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by turkeyman »

well guys
this topic I know something about I have fished for quinte waleye since 1984 and have boated to many to count on any given day. That is up until 1996. I started with the blue fox and a worm back trolling in big bay and trolling the weed bed on the south side of hay bay from 85 to 90 then it was the down and dirty yellow or red trailing a long worm and it had to have a full worm otherwise you would troll for hours without a hit. this method worked up untill 96 when the water became clear, and the other so called (real) canadiansfound out how easy it was to net them in the spring and sell them by the hundred thousands at a time that was when i quit fishing them although i still have a trailer there at the narrows i have not been there in four years. oh yea there was a time when trolling a shad coloured shad rap (white) in big bay also produced this fine eating fish by the limit. My best fish from the bay is a 14.5 lb caught ice fishing in the middle of the channel in front of fosters i have the picture of it somewhere and it is mounted and on the wall in the trailer.
Jamesh
Participant
Participant

Post by Jamesh »

Yes it was back in 95-96 when I was last up there.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Jamesh wrote:Yes it was back in 95-96 when I was last up there.
I did not do much fishing in mid 90's on Quinte...I was living in the U.K. :(

Boy those where the days when you could go out for a few hours and catch your limit with a spinner and worm... easy and cheap. Now I have enough gear on board to huntdown a sub! :D :D
Sheldon Hatch
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Quinte Opener

Post by Superdad »

We'll be out on the water MAy 1st and 2nd. hoping to repeat last years 9.33 lber on opening day - First fish ever on opening day. Couldn't make anything on the derby board.

Any fish this year has to be 12 lbs before we enter it.

We'll use the fall specials and fall patterns for the first couple of weeks.

As the May passes, we start hitting the weed growths with the Uzick Spinner and if produces like it does - then we'll have a good year.

Hope everyone comes to Quinte for the opener - Watch for the Black hat with SUPERDAD on it - SAy hi.
David Delcloo aka Superdad
(Retired)

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturer of the UZICK Spinner
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Radio Frequency

Post by Seaweed »

We should set up a Hawk-Tawk Frequency or channel for everyone while we work the bay just in case someone else is out that we don`t know about. So that we can brag on the water.... :lol: Or scream for help :oops:

Fish-Hawk Frequency = ? :mrgreen:

Open to suggestions.... weren`t you guys using Channel 6 last fall?
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Radio Frequency

Post by eye-tracker »

Seaweed wrote:

Fish-Hawk Frequency = ? :mrgreen:

Open to suggestions.... weren`t you guys using Channel 6 last fall?
Any comments on a FRS channel for opening weekend?

I will pick up a FRS radio this week if that is what everyone is using, I only have a VHF Marine radio in the boat :wink:
Sheldon Hatch
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

FRS radio

Post by roughrider »

I'm all for a station for Fish- Hawk monitors 8) ,I'll have FRS along on station '4 and 0' in may and June,also have VHF radio on board,will monitor 68 on that radio. :idea: How about if I post a " who is fishing Quinte this weekend" message every week on Wed. on the great lakes board. We can share info and pictures on results on Monday,tuesday the following week here on this site.If you feel you'd like to join in,lets see a show of hands.Quinte is a big place and can be frustrating to the visiting guys for the first time. :wink: roughrider
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Holding up Hand...count me in Roughrider...

I will also use those same channels on FRS and VHF.

Five days til' Quinte opener :D
Sheldon Hatch
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Quinte Radio Squak

Post by Seaweed »

Count me in.....

I don`t have a radio though so ...... :lol:

I will see what I can do about getting a loaner.... or buy one.

I was kinda hopin to get a rhino 120 GPS and Radio combo.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Just a word on VHF channels. Canadian marinas operate on and monitor channel 68 only. This is how they do their business, fishermen operating on 68 are interfering with that business. I realize that the majority of Ontario anglers chat on channel 68 but out of respect and fairness to Marina operators we should use a different channel. I have been both a sailor and an angler for nearly 40 yrs now and I find it frustrating trying to communicate with a Marina when the hand helds they are using to bring you into a berth are being over powered by anglers.

Type of Message Appropriate Channel(s)
DISTRESS SAFETY AND CALLING - Use this channel to get the attention of another station (calling) or in emergencies (distress and safety). 16
INTERSHIP SAFETY - Use this channel for ship-to-ship safety messages and for search and rescue messages and ships and aircraft of the Coast Guard. 6
COAST GUARD LIAISON - Use this channel to talk to the Coast Guard (but first make contact on Channel 16). 22
NONCOMMERCIAL - Working channels for voluntary boats. Messages must be about the needs of the ship. Typical uses include fishing reports, rendezvous,scheduling repairs and berthing information. Use Channels 67 and 72 only for ship-to-ship messages. 96, 68, 69, 71, 72, 78,
794, 804, 677.
COMMERCIAL - Working channels for working ships only. Messages must be about business or the needs of the ship. Use channels 8, 67, 72 and 88 only for ship-to-ship messages. 15, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18,
19, 635, 677,
79, 80, 881
PUBLIC CORRESPONDENCE (MARINE OPERATOR) - Use these channels to call the marine operator at a public coast station. By contacting a public coast station, you can make and receive calls from telephones on shore. Except for distress calls, public coast stations usually charge for this service. 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84, 85,
86, 87, 882
PORT OPERATIONS - These channels are used in directing the movement of ships in or near ports, locks or waterways. Messages must be about the operational handling movement and safety of ships. In certain major ports, Channels 11,12 and are not available for general port operations messages. Use channel 20 only for ship-to-coast messages. Channel 77 is limited to intership communications to and from pilots 15, 53, 12, 14, 20,
635, 65, 66, 73, 74, 77
NAVIGATIONAL - (Also known as the bridge-to-bridge channel.) This channel is available to all ships. Messages must be about ship navigation, for example, passing or meeting other ships. You must keep your messages short. Your power output must not be more than one watt. This is also the main working channel at most locks and drawbridges. 13, 67
MARITIME CONTROL - This channel may be used to talk to ships and coast stations operated by state or local governments. Messages must pertain to regulation and control, boating activities, or assistance to ships. 17
DIGITAL SELECTIVE CALLING - Use this channel for distress and safety calling and for general purpose calling using only digital selective calling techniques. 70
WEATHER - On these channels you may receive weather broadcasts of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. These channels are only for receiving. You cannot transmit on them. Wx-1 162.55
Wx-2 162.4
Wx-3 162.475

Note channels 67 and 72 for ship to ship messages. If your radio has a dual monitoring function you can listen to the other guys on 68, but the hawk talkers could communicate on 72 without fighting all the other radio noise. Just a thought. Martin.
Forgot to point out what I posted was US, but the Canadian channels are very close except in regards to 68, that is why if you monitor channel 16 on the great lakes you will often hear US sailors trying to hail marinas on 16, the Canadian coast guard usually sets them straight. Sorry I just couldn't find the canadian site!