Bay of Qunite - Walleye World

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you fish for spring walleye?

Oh Yeah!
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 18

roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

VHF channel change

Post by roughrider »

Sounds fine to me fishforfun ,I'll mention it on wed. that we will monitor VHF channel 72. Thanks for the info,always willing to help out. :wink: roughrider
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Thanks roughrider I'm sure next weekend you won't see a lot of recreational boat traffic in the BOQ but it's stopping bad habits forming that counts. Eg my boat is 30 ft long I tow an 11' dingy with a 8hp merc, overall including the down riggers I have 43' by 14' of boat weighing 12,000 lbs all of this driven by a single cylinder 8hp diesel. I head down the wrong slip, look out it's a nightmare getting turned around, not to mention the damage you may do trying. The bigger the boat the bigger the problem, clear communication with the dock guys is a must.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Hello Fishforfun...
I am in the process of completeing my ROC - operators licence here in Canada. In Canada we need a ROC to operate-transmit on a Marine VHF radio. I was figuring it was OK to montor 68 then switch to another channel like 72, but your recommendation is even better. Here is some of the reserved channels in Canada based on RIC-13.http://boating.ncf.ca/vhfchannels.html
Also another good canadian and international reference is:
http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/marine.txt

Thanks again fishforfun, I really see why I have to do the licence and test...never knew all of this stuff a few months ago.

Cheers'
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

eye-tracker wrote:Hello Fishforfun...
I am in the process of completeing my ROC - operators licence here in Canada. In Canada we need a ROC to operate-transmit on a Marine VHF radio
ET, are you 100% sure you have to have this. I'm installing a marine radio and I'm told you only need the ROC if you plan to transmit internationally (other then USA). I thought recreational boaters are exempt from this? Am I mistaken?

http://boating.ncf.ca/vhf.html
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

A good number of years ago you had to be licensed, renewed mine every year now it would appear its as regulated as CB's. If there is still a course take it, as well as basic boating, navigation and seamanship, believe me there may be the day your'e glad you did! Point being the guys in the 14' aluminium this year in bad weather. How prepared were you for that? Sometimes a little education can mean the difference life and death on the water.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Hello Markus,
I got the same type of conflicting information so I called my local CPS - Canadian Power & Sail Squadron and asked if I needed the ROC (Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate) to operate a VHF in Canada and they said Yes. The course and exam (life time licence) was only $55.
...Markus read the section on the website link you gave me about the VHF Operator's licence. We no longer need to have a "owner" radio licence, but still need an "operator's" licence.

Here is a blurb from the CPS site:
"The VHF course teaches you that protocol. Industry Canada requires that everyone who wishes to use the VHF have a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate". This course will enable you to pass the exam for that certificate."

Give your local CPS a call, they are very helpful...

Cheers'
Sheldon Hatch
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

fishforfun wrote: If there is still a course take it, as well as basic boating, navigation and seamanship, believe me there may be the day your'e glad you did! Point being the guys in the 14' aluminium this year in bad weather. How prepared were you for that? Sometimes a little education can mean the difference life and death on the water.
Please note fisforfun, I'm not offended by your comments, but I just want to state...we had 3 very knowledgable and safety concious men in the boat. We pushed the limits, but at no time exceeded them. We all have lives we want to live and children to return home to. We are not reckless.

I also want to note that your comments are well validated. Everyone should be educated in safety/operating procedures if they are going to be on the water.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Eye tracker could you check that more closely? I'm inclined to beleive that the number you receive will be ship to shore phone calls through the coast guard. These calls are $7 $8 a minute, good for those who will pay not to lift a finger, myself I use my cell. I could be wrong but if I need a license why aren't they asking me to renew? Not to say that you won't get a lot from the course.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Fishforfun,
The Operators licence is for life, so I don't think you need to renew.
The oprerators licence covers all of the functions of using marine VHF.
Sheldon Hatch
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Sorry markus didn't rememember who was in that boat. Regardless how many survival suits were on board how many PFDs what signalling devices did you have flares etc. and did you ask the skipper those questions before you boarded? All questions you will learn in a boating course. Not to diss anyone just a fact. This from a man that has been in 16' plus seas.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'd trade a 8' chop on Lake erie for 16' seas anyday! :P

I've been on both and the power and closeness of the waves on lake erie are extremly dangerous.

As far as safety equipment goes on the boat...Jammer's little craft is fully equipt with all the safety goodies and he navigated a safe route through the waves. It was uncomfortable, not life threatning. Jammer treats his boat and passengers with the highest regard. He's a great example as to how all boat owners should be. If it were too dangerous we'd still be sitting on the beach at the tip of longpoint discussing snakes and zebra mussels. :D

But like I said, everyone should know what equipment they need to have and how to use it. You bring up a very good point.
ken & Jo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Radio Frequency

Post by ken & Jo »

eye-tracker wrote:
Seaweed wrote:

Fish-Hawk Frequency = ? :mrgreen:

Open to suggestions.... weren`t you guys using Channel 6 last fall?
Any comments on a FRS channel for opening weekend?

I will pick up a FRS radio this week if that is what everyone is using, I only have a VHF Marine radio in the boat :wink:
I usually monitor 4 & 0 and 3 & 0. You'll pick up traffic from Perfect Vue and Bayview Resort residents respectfully. I'll probably be trying by the Glenora Ferry area as well as Deseronto throughout the weekend. See you all up there!

Ken
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Countdown to Friday - three agonizing days of waiting

Post by Seaweed »

Well the countdown is on and I am prepping nightly when I get home.

Things To Do (Please input if you think I forgot something)

1 Change Line on rods
2 Run some Floro-leaders.
3 Find Rain Gear (Looks like it will be wet)
4 Inspect and re-inspect lure count and color selection, scent etc.
5 Put out layered clothing
6 Talk someone in the Bay of Quinte area into buying derby tickets for Carlco and I - willing to do money exchange on water if necessary.
7 Contact partner and ensure that he has a list going too.
8 Bring GPS and Maps (very important)
9 Pack Lifejacket (Supersize and hard to find)
10 Visit local tackle store in case I don`t have enough stuff (Just kidding honey... my budget is running slim)
11) Pack Fish-Hawk.net Hat for podium appearance.
12) Timmys Thermos and Drink and Food

We got enough room in that boat for a cooler Carlco..... for food and pop only of course. :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I never forget to bring a zipped locked bag with a roll of toilet paper in it. It comes in handy often for me! heh heh

I like to have my binoculars with me too.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Seaweed,

I'm on track with the list!

I have added some rod holders to the boat, re-spooled my rods, got the tackle ready... You almost forgot the net!

As for a cooler there's a built in one for those beverages you have to hide.

All we need is a fish!

Carlco