Bay of Qunite - Walleye World

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you fish for spring walleye?

Oh Yeah!
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 18

eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Countdown to Friday - three agonizing days of waiting

Post by eye-tracker »

Seaweed wrote:Well the countdown is on and I am prepping nightly when I get home.

Things To Do (Please input if you think I forgot something)

1 Change Line on rods
Seaweed and Carlco,
You may wan't to leave a float plan at home so the family know what to do or mention to the Coast Gaurd if anything should go wrong.

My wife or family has never had to use my float plans over the years but they feel secure knowing my boat details, where I am and what to do.

Everyone have a safe and good time this weekend on the Bay of Quinte...

Good Luck! Hope to see some hawk-talkers on the leader board.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Early Anniversary Gift

Post by Seaweed »

Well got home from work today and the wife laid an early 1st anniversary gift on me.

2 FRS radios.....

Whooo Hoooo I will be online and listening for the word on where the schools are.

They will be a real nice thing to have just in case. Confidence is a good thing on the water.

Picked up a couple of other treats at the tackle shop too on the way home.... something that will take me deep if necessary.

It is always a good plan to let someone know where you are launching and when you plan on being home just in case but thanks for the reminder Tracker.

Calling for south winds .... might keep us off the big water. At least it looks less likely that we will be getting constant rain. I am liking that... lets all hope for good weather.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Seaweed, I picked 3 of them up last summer and I use them all the time. You will find tons of uses for them. Another fun way to use them is when you're traveling in a car with other cars. It's great for making lunch decisions, bathroom breaks, directions and "how ya doin's".
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Off to Quinte

Post by Seaweed »

Well off we go to the Bay of Qunite :)

I am totally chomping at the bit to get a line wet. Hopefully the weather will bear with us and the winds won't rip up the water too much. I can deal with rain... no problem.... but the wind.... different story.

We are basically in good shape equipment wise. Still having a bugger of a time figuring out how we will get derby tickets..... hate to think we have to drive all the way to Trenton just to come all the way back to launch at the Glenora ferry. That is so stupid they need to come up with a better way for people coming from a distance to get tickets. :x

Well we will post our results when we wake up on Sunday.... we will be monitoring the FRS 4 Channel. Say hi.... we will be working the general area of Glenora Ferry and Long Reach area... lots of water to cover and some great spots to angle for those tagged beauties. 8)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Heading to the walleye opener at Quinte sounds like a lot of fun. If it wasn't for the crowds, I would have join you guys.

I look forward to hearing reports about everyones day. Good luck!
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Someone ring the bell will ya!

Post by Seaweed »

Well the weather forcast is a heck of a lot better than they called for on Monday for the Opening on the Bay of Qunite.

Folks never trust the weather man when making plans. I have seen this time and time again where people have cancelled making trips to a place because the seven day forcast said it was going to rain. Just do it... go and make the call when you get there.

Weather for tonight will be warm with light winds from the south with a slight chance of showers for tomorrow afternoon. I checked the water temps off of Amherst Island and they were in the mid 40's this morning and with todays sun they will push the temps in the Bay itself to the 50's perfect temps for the big hungry walleye sows to be chowing down.... :lol:

Can`t wait.... 8)

By the way anyone heading down and not having a derby ticket you can pick them up at the Kiwanis Club in Napanee before midnight tonite.... c ya on the water and from the podium hopefully.... will be monitoring FRS Channel 4 .... give us a shout. :lol:
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Our Day on the Bay

Post by Seaweed »

Carlco and I enjoyed a marvelous day on the bay. Carlco nailed a couple of real nice pickerel.... entered one 7.4 pounder all caught early morning between 4-5 am.

Afernoon we caught some nice pike in Hay Bay.....

Absolutely marverlous... good weather and great day.

Thanks for the tips ... it worked fine for us...... worm harness actually trolled slow on electric motor.....

Tried to raise everyone on Channel 4 and 6 but got no replys....

Pictures to follow... I need some sleep bad. 8)
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Our Day on the Bay

Post by eye-tracker »

Seaweed wrote:Thanks for the tips ... it worked fine for us...... worm harness actually trolled slow on electric motor.....
Great to hear you and Carlco caught some eye's and also beat-up on a few pike.

cheers' to opening weekend and soft water fishing season :D
Sheldon Hatch
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Markus wrote:
eye-tracker wrote:Hello Fishforfun...
I am in the process of completeing my ROC - operators licence here in Canada. In Canada we need a ROC to operate-transmit on a Marine VHF radio
ET, are you 100% sure you have to have this. I'm installing a marine radio and I'm told you only need the ROC if you plan to transmit internationally (other then USA). I thought recreational boaters are exempt from this? Am I mistaken?http://boating.ncf.ca/vhf.html
Here's more info that may help. I tried asking the same question awhile back on the Quinte site. Check it out..
http://forums.quintefishing.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1298
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Hello Wall-I-Guy...

I have just completed my ROC. I asked the question if a ROC is needed in the course? I was told to transmit on a VHF marine band radio in Canada you must have a ROC (Operators Licence) you now longer need a station licence. Now that I have taken the course, trust me you need the course just to understand how to use the radio in a Mayday or Pan Pan situation...also you need to know how to recieve and relay a Coast Gaurd call. With out an understanding how to use the radio all you will do is jam the radio channels...

I recommend that you contact CPS in Ottawa.

Cheers'
Sheldon Hatch