Spring?? Tackle boxes ready yet?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spring?? Tackle boxes ready yet?

Post by Fisher Dude »

I get the itch around this time every year. It’s been a couple of months since we've been able to dip a line in "real" water (no offense to the ice guys). So, like everyone I'm sure, I usually spend some time going through the tackle bag and boxes ... preparing for and dreaming of the new season. I was wondering ... does anyone try to keep one lure per tray slot, or does everyone pile their lures into any available space. I always worry that more than one lure in a slot will end with all the lures getting all scrapped up. But now I’m getting too many boxes. What's everyone's preference here?
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

Organization is the key to a good day. you dont have to have one lure designated to one compartment. But try to keep lures in order, example, crankbaits together, lipless crankbaits together, plastics together, although all sorted out... worms with worms, tubes with tubes, lizards with lizards... you catch the drift? also.... DO NOT MIX COLOURS of SOFT BAITS!!!... very important here as the heat of the summer will end up either melting the plastics together or just mixing up the colours in the baits... not a fun time trying to clean that mess trust me... i keep my plastics in their original bags, and i organize all my other baits by size, colour, and type of lures... once i got the hang of which lures where in which tray in my box switching up baits became as fast as casting almost... another helpful idea(if you have access to one) is using a lable maker... label example: Med. Crank. Dark. another example would be Tubes 4" Lights... size, colour, and style of bait should always be labeled... hope this helps

Jason
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Spring?? Tackle boxes ready yet?

Post by Mr. T. »

Fisher Dude wrote:I get the itch around this time every year. It’s been a couple of months since we've been able to dip a line in "real" water (no offense to the ice guys). So, like everyone I'm sure, I usually spend some time going through the tackle bag and boxes ... preparing for and dreaming of the new season. I was wondering ... does anyone try to keep one lure per tray slot, or does everyone pile their lures into any available space. I always worry that more than one lure in a slot will end with all the lures getting all scrapped up. But now I’m getting too many boxes. What's everyone's preference here?
If you asked me this question a month ago, the answer would've been pile two or three lures in one slot. Now, after selling some of them off, I keep one per slot except for the spoons. I always hated trying to separate the lures because the hooks would be stuck together. I'm not to worried about them being scratched because they will get scratched from the rocks, logs or whatever else is in the water. I know there are hook bonnets but I think they just take up space.
MattSymons
Participant
Participant

Post by MattSymons »

Some guys will remove all the hooks from their baits and keep them all in a seperate compartment in the same box. Lures don't tangle, feathered trebles don't get mashed up and hook points are not dulled as easily.

Of course them it becomes a bit of a chore to equip each bait with a set of hooks. But, if you're quick with a set of split-ring pliers its not too bad, and one good thing is that you always tend to be fishing with new, sharp hooks and you're inspecting the hook points more often for damage, so damaged hooks tend to be removed and discarded more frequently.

Having said that, my crankbaits and jerkbaits are all hook-equipped and tangled in the box, with between 2 and 5 baits per compartment. I just shake them free, scratches add character.

Matt
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

Same here "Fisher Dude" I start itching to organize my tackle box. Just about the time I start planing my summer vacation. I start out pretty organized, but that all goes out the window after the first few fishing trips.

Have moved to a smaller separate box for all my soft plastics. That seems to work out better for me.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I use a Tackle Logic tackle bag. It's quite huge. the 2 side compartments will hold 2-3 plano 3700 series boxes each. The two end compartments hold all the little things, tools & line. The main compartment holds 5 large BPS finesse binders. one each for senkos, worms, tubes, grubs & flippin'. I leave all my plastics in their origional bags.
I went through the hook bonnet thing, looks good on paper, but leaves a lot to be desired in reality.
I don't have the time to get into an argument with 3 X-Raps forming a symbiotic relationship in the same compartment, so all my hard baits are stored individually in Plano 3771 boxes. The 3771 is only 1 3/8 in high. Each row has the ability to be ultimately adjustable due to it's construction. I catigorize the 3771's as to bass, pike & walleye. Bass is sub-catigorized several times. This gives me the ability to grab whatever boxes are needed for the day and leave the rest at home.
Really it's all personal. What works for me might not work for you and visa-versa. After all, it only has to work for you and no one else.

Just don't mix soft plastics.

DropShot'r
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

I just finnished putting the last few touches on my spoon boxes for ice fishing. Nothing to get ready, all my crappie and trout gear is the same way I left in May, ready to go :P
Last edited by Tip-up on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Organizing the tackle box

Post by Joey Rat »

If I could ever get caught up on all my chores, organizing by tackle box would be the new priority. Trouble is my wife keeps thinking up new things for me to do. :shock:

That's sort of the deal though, indoor chores in the cold weather, outdoor play in the warm weather. :D

I really should sit down and have a good hard look at what is there before I run off the the spring fishing shows and get mesmorized by all those shiny new lures. "Gee I must really like those, I have 5 now" :oops:

With apologies to the hard water guys, I can not wait for the soft water. I picked up a new Shimano Calais baitcaster from a fellow "hawker" this week and can not wait to hit the water.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

I usually carry 30 or more 3700 Plano trays full of cranks in my boat when fishing. I have so many cranks I sort by manufacturer or style (Deep, Stick, Shad etc) and place a photocopy of the dive curve in the tray. To save on hook tangles and to keep the hooks razor sharp I use hook bonnets on all the hooks.

Here is a picture of 4 Trays of cranks with the green hook bonnets...

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Every lure should have the hooks removed , light spray with rust preventative, kiss for good luck, then put in a hook keeper,
Then keeper and hook should be wrapped in wax paper individually with a 1 inch piece of scotch tape to keep the paper closed for safety.
THEN every hook/keeper package shall be placed in a snack size ziplock bag
The lure bodies can be cleaned with a mild cleanser, then wrapped in a piece of paper towel or bubble wrap, dont forget the kiss for good luck, placed in a properly sized ziplock bag, then into a padded envelope with a happy face on it.
And thats how it's done you big sillies :P
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisher Dude »

TLunge: Funny, very funny ... just humor us type 'A's will ya :lol:

Sheldon: Where do you find those hook bonnets??? I've never seen them before in stores.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Fisher Dude,

good post.

It is definitely one of those "spring cleaning" type chores that gets you chuffing at the bit for soft water and casting.

My inventory is long overdue for some cleaning, tossing and updating. Thx for reminding me it's just about time to address this!

PS: I have not found the perfect tackle box yet. :roll: Every few years, I update and rearrange.
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Fisher Dude wrote: Sheldon: Where do you find those hook bonnets??? I've never seen them before in stores.
LeBaron's has them and some Walmarts.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Sorry, but I find the detail everyone goes to for sorting things out and making it all look pretty kinda funny. It's good for keeping you busy on a winters day and letting you get to know what you have, but, to keep it going throughout the summer just never seems to happen. Been there, done that! One day on the water and most everything has been shaken, dropped, upside down, and returned to the most convenient container available. I never have the room nor the compartments to break all my tackle down too detailed. I keep it simple. And you know what...I quite like it that way.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Lunker Larry,

our "filing systems" sound very similar! :lol:

I do try to keep things organized, but it's a degenerative process for sure.

W.