"Big Kid" Fishing Gear

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

"Big Kid" Fishing Gear

Post by wolfe »

Hey, everyone.

Just made a nice purchase, which I hope was a wise one, for my 6-1/2 yr old son. Up until now, he has fished with kiddie gear, but as he is showing real promise for the sport, I wanted to get him a "real" fishing pole this year. My first idea was to pass on my ultralight rod/reel to him for everyday fishing. However, upon contemplation, I don't think that would have been wise. It's great for pannies, but there are some lunkers in Wolfe Lk., where we spend 90% of our time. If he got lucky enough to hook one, then lose it due to the line snapping, we would BOTH be upset. (He is not adept enough yet to manipulate the drag while landing a fish.) So...I went with a Shakespeare Ugly Stik combo package; the rod is about 60" and has nice, sensitive action. It should help clue him to hits, as he's moving away from worms towards artificial baits, like jigs. It's got a smooth ball bearing, open spinning reel, which he has successfully handled last season. I'm just a bit worried about the size (length), but figured at the worst, he'll "grow into it". We will be working on casting this season (get out the protective face & head gear!!) ... should be fun.

What do your (little) kids use for their standard gear?? A guy in the sports shop seemed to think it was a bit of a pricey investment for a little fella. But I figure it's time to move up from the "Snoopy" & "Sponge Bob" type poles, as this kid is starting to get his groove on with gamefish. (Also got Ty a big boy fishing box; we'll pass on the "Scooby Doo" box to 3 yr old Shane!) :wink:

W.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Wolfe,
Hang on to the Scooby Doo, Snoopy and Sponge Bob gear as they get older... once they are in their mid teens it will be KOOL agian! :D :D :D
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

dont worry about the little guy! most everybody else his age was getting their first big boy stuff, and you might just be surprised at how quick he figures it out. Spool it with old line and take him out in the backyard so he will get used to it, that way when it comes time to really go fishing he and you won't have as many problems. Good luck to you both.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

wolfe

My kids (6 1/2yrs & 9yrs) are both using spincast reels ($20-$25 ea I think) and 5ft collapsible rods rigged with 8lbs line. The rods are great for the pan fish and not bad for the slightly larger catches.
The collapsible rods are great for traveling and when they forget to "KEEP THE ROD TIP UP" while walking.
And if they go into the drink they are not to overly expensive too fret much about. (Unless both at the same time. :lol: :lol:

My son (who's just getting into this fishin thing) last year landed a couple 3 lbs small mouth with this set up. I might try him on one of my older spinning reels if he can get the bail and line fingering figured out.

My daughter had a 2 lb hammer handle in her's (she needed help with that one). She'll likely be more of a fishing nut then her older brother.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

wolfe-

Post by Cancatchbass »

I think you made a wise decision.

I've seen a lot of well-meaning parents buy the cheapest rod/reel combo- usually consisting of a glass pole and a spincast reel that has a drag with two settings- totally on, or so loose you can't reel in anything over 6 ounces. These rigs usually come pre-spooled with line that is thick as 20 pound mono, but snaps like 1 pound line. Add to this the fact the line is so stiff it comes pre-coiled so that it's almost impossible to work with. These outfits are a recipe for disaster. :evil:

I started both my daughters out with 5 foot ultralight spinning combo's when they were 4 or 5, and never had any problems. The 4 pound Fireline can more than handle anything we encounter. When they were about 8-9 they took over the spinning part of my bass arsenal and have never looked back. They both made the cover of magazines by the time they were 10. :D (no emoticon for super-proud???)

The first shot is my daughter Amy at age 8 with a 4+ Big Rideau largemouth. The second is my daughter Marissa (in pink sweater to the right of Bill Saiff) with a Charleston smallie.

The hardest part now is getting them out on the water with any regularity. Seems at ages 15 and 19, they have other priorities... :cry:

CCB
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

The gear I have for my kids is the KRP100 one peace rod and reel I had them in my store when it was open went through a wack of them, But since then I haven't seen them around.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Heck it was never an issue...Oh! there's one of Dad's rods :!: :lol:

If they can cast it, they use it :!:

My son has his own tackle box now so that's good :roll: guess who's lures are in it :?: :shock: .....

My daughter just uses Dad's stuff still :!:
SNAGMAN
Participant
Participant

Post by SNAGMAN »

Wolfe,

Ya did good me thinks! You didn't go way over board and in the long run for durability and lots of memories that combo should last the lad into
his early teens. But alas along will come the lassies lol and fishing will be only a memory. But until that time G'Luck and don't forget the camera!

Respectfully
SNAGMAN :lol:
SNAGMAN
Participant
Participant

Post by SNAGMAN »

Wolfe,

Ya did good me thinks! You didn't go way over board and in the long run for durability and lots of memories that combo should last the lad into
his early teens. But alas along will come the lassies lol and fishing will be only a memory. But until that time G'Luck and don't forget the camera!

Respectfully
SNAGMAN :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

WIG, I remember it being a great privilege to use Dad's stuff! Then, even more exciting when he started to give me some of his stash to keep in my own tackle box. Now that he has passed away, when on occasion I lose something of his to the lake, I always say that Dad is taking some stuff back! I keep some of his lures tucked away and don't even use them, though, just as a keepsake...

Snagman, with regard to losing the lads to the lassies...you just gotta match him up with a gal who loves to fish!! It's possible!! Just look at me!!! :wink:

W.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Oh the dreaded double post :!: :lol: :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

CCB,

those are some adorable pic's of your girls...big smiles...big fish!! I've said it before: it's a good feeling to see your kid land a nice one all on his/her own. They are so excited and proud :D (but not as proud as Mom and Dad!)

I hope that your girls will come full circle and rekindle their love of fishing. The teen years have a way of derailing the best of us! :wink: But we usually come back to our senses soon enough.

W.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D My son Jonathan is 7 yrs old . His current weapon of choice is a 5 1/2 ' ugly stick with a Abu Garcia Cardinal 302 six ball bearing spinning reel. It has 8lb line and I check the drag before he starts to fish..He has caught all his fish so far without line breaks. And the rod can stand any abuse he gives it.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Salmon, that's encouraging to hear your (similarly aged) son handles that tackle so well. I, too, think Ty will do fine and will check his drag frequently, as usual. It's just the casting that's got me a bit concerned, but we'll practice that. To date, we've done the casting for him...

I chose the "Ugly" as it is virtually indestructible. My older son is fairly respectful of his belongings, anyway...
it's the 3 yr old that's hell on wheels! :twisted: :lol:

W.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Wolfe, sounds like you are on the right track. Might be a bit long and clumsey to start. Next time show him a 10' noodle rod, and he'll think that 6'er is a breeze.

At this point, I have 5 year old boy and a 3 year girl. What I have done for them is we use ice fishing rods. 2' to 3' long, they are easy to handle for the kids. I had used a spincast, but as CCB noted, it was garbage. Moved them to spinning gear. I still do most of the casting for them, cause the boy would rather play with worms than catch fish.

Should be lots of fun this year with the fishnski. Tubing will be a new element on the water for us as well as fishing.

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell