Pike and bass on the fly!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigAl
Participant
Participant

Pike and bass on the fly!!

Post by BigAl »

Well folks it's that time again and Big AL is going in hard this year. I'm going back to my fly fishing roots from the Mirimichi ! Yes the target is Pike and bass and maybe Walleye!!! I will gratuitiously accept the challange and am looking forward to tying flies again esspecilly for bass. Any input from you guys out there would be greatly appreciated. Depending on how things go I may have some new patterns for all you fly fishermen out there.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey Big Al, Welcome aboard, not sure how many fly fishermen are here! I've done a bit but have extremely limited experience. I target trout when doing it, that sounds weird! I target trout when I use that method. That's better :!:

If you're looking for a place to try fly fishing for Bass, Pike etc, I would recommend the Rideau River near the Provincial Park. Great shallow weedy areas :!:

Goodluck :!:
BigAl
Participant
Participant

Post by BigAl »

Thanks for the advise Wall-Eye-Guy !! The Riedeau is one of my definit targets this year. Amongst several others.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

BigAl.

Funny, my best buddy is referred to as BigAl as well and he resides in Merrickville and is a fly fisher himself as well.

I do tie flies and dabble with the 9ft canes myself. I'll look forward to reading more posts from you in the future. Keep me updated on your successes and the particulars that will bring you such.

Last few flies I tied up we're Zuddlers, Frankie, Clouser, Epoxy Nymph, Boatman and Egg Suckin' Leech. My friend "BigAL" and I are preparing our flyboxes for the Lakers, Pike and Brookies that the Temagami area has waiting for us in a few weeks.
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

BigAl

I love to fly fish. Last summer was my first in Ontario, so not Knowing where to go I fished the Ottawa. Flyfishing for bass is great for your confidence, they seemed to take anything that is stripped fairly quickly. Usually i fished a leach pattern tipped with a rubber tail. Clouser minnows also were very effective. Especially around deep drop-offs. I bought some big marabou pike flies but only caught bass. Maybe we can get together this summer for some fishing. I think around the Champlain Bridge could be a good spot.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

fly

Post by joco »

HI B al

i do flyfishing a bit, i do fly for musky to the fly are about 10 inch
long made wit stainles steel hook and wire(slteel) very strong
i used a 8 w very fun , and i love it for bass ,a imitations off frog
man its so mutch fun,, i fish the ottawa and at the cottage in maniwaki
caught 2 nice lake truit yesterday and a whit fish to.......

have fun and wish you a great season...

joco
Cyress
Participant
Participant

Post by Cyress »

I have been fly fishing for bass for about 10 years now, trout is my preference, but living in Ottawa you work with the cards you are dealt. We have phenominal river smallmouth fishing in the city and out so I can definitely point you to a few flies and spots. The rideau can be great in many spots. I prefer to fish where it gets kind of riffle like because big deep flats aren't that much fun althought they do produce. My fav spot which I will share with all fly fishing beginners is the rideau river in Sandy Hill. Just pick a stretch, they are all good. I like it when it shallows out and then drops to deeper water. The Mississippi River holds an insane amout of bass if you are willing to jaunt out of the city. Appleton is a good stretch. The ottawa river too perticularly on inside bends and side channels. We have bass everywhere in Ottawa, just get out there and try and you will turn upa few. As for flies wollybuggers are great in all conditions. You can drift them or stillwater fish them. And they are simple to tie when you get the pattern down. But my favoutite being a trout man is to tie trout patterns in jumbo sizes. In many situations smallies and trout eat the same food anyway just make it bigger for bass. Big nymphs or streamers or big dries. That way you get your practice tying trout patterns too. Try it, you will not regret it. Big stonefly or leech patterns are boss!!
BigAl
Participant
Participant

Post by BigAl »

Well fellas i apreciate all of your help for sure . I'm always open to meeting fellow fisherman at any time and enjoy the fish storys very much. For any of you who are curious about me here we go!! My background in fly fishing is very extensive as i have been doing it since i was six years old. .I won my first fishing derby at 5yrs old with a 5.5lb walleye caudht at C.F.B Cold Lake Alberta. I was first introduced to the mirimichi in 1976 . My best catch on the fly to date is a 38lb Atlantic Salmon caugt on a coburne special my dad tied for me. Since 1994 i've been in Ontario, now in smiths falls. I 'm having a blast fishing walleye and bass , got a 9lb 11oz Eye throught the ice this winter. I am also going into the walleye tourny this year and am in a pike tourny on the St.Lawrence this weekend coming . All i can say is WOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: fly

Post by Manny »

joco wrote:HI B al

i do flyfishing a bit, i do fly for musky to the fly are about 10 inch
long made wit stainles steel hook and wire(slteel) very strong
i used a 8 w very fun , and i love it for bass ,a imitations off frog
man its so mutch fun,, i fish the ottawa and at the cottage in maniwaki
caught 2 nice lake truit yesterday and a whit fish to.......

have fun and wish you a great season...

joco
Around where is your cottage in Maniwaki?? My buddy has a cottage up there, near Lac Quinn, and we do quite a lot of fishing up there.