Best Day on the Water?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Best Day on the Water?

Post by trexellunge »

I'm sure some of you guys have had some incredible days on the water. Is there one that stands out in particular? I guess my best was on Buckhorn Lake about 7 years ago when I landed 4 muskies in one outing
(along with many more follows and missed fish), plus a couple of "accidental" walleyes over 26". Must have been around 80+ total pounds of fish total that day. I've probably had some great days with pike that would approach this total weight in a day with sheer numbers of fish, but I'd rather get the 80 pounds with only 6 fish! I've heard of a few guys catching alot more than 4 muskies in a day, but I'll never forget it... I always love to hear about great days on the water, so give it up :D .
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

With my old fishing partner Gambler Steve...we boated 6 muskies in one afternoon on the Ottawa...no giants but it was a day to remember... :D

Also spent another day on the Gatineau River pitchin slugo's for Bucketsmouths....the greatest day of bass fishing I've ever seen...at least 40 fish in an 6 hour outing....the best part was the smallest fish was about 2 pounds....it was a pitch to a fall down and bango!... :D

RJ
BENLEGER
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BENLEGER »

3 Muskies in 25 minutes(no big ones, 6 pounder,8pounder,12 pounder).....Nothing in the 3 hours before that,untill i snapped my red and white bucktail with silver blade...that was in 2002 on the Ottawa river.

BEN
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

You're probably meaning the best day in terms of catch, but I remember a couple of great days that were great because of the total package.

There was one day (pre kids) when my hubby (boyfriend at time) and me were spending some time in the boat with my Mom & Dad. We hung out and fished & talked, and later M+D dropped us off on an island where we shore fished (got a nice smallie) in the laze of a beautiful afternoon. We waded in and did a little fishing that way, just for kicks. It was fun: no schedule, no stress, no nothin' but pleasure! Later, M+D picked us up with the boat like a couple of castaways. It's a nice memory.

Other good memories are of fishing (privately owned) Butterill Pond for pike and largemouth and encountering lots of beautiful wild/bird life, good fishing and delicious lunches in the boat (why does any food taste extra good while you're out on the lake?)! Of course, we were on the menu for the voracious deerflies, who probably enjoyed their meal as well as we did!

Good times!

W.
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Two muskies in 30 minutes on the rideau river!! One 36 incher and then 30 mins later to top that one off, another 40 incher made me shake again!!! Oh baby what a rush!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Well guy's and Gals

My best day ....had to be last year on opening day of walleye season...Topwater and i stumbled on a crappie hole ...Landed 200 Plus in four hours plus thirty to forty hugh blue gills....Hope to do the same in a couple of weeks :lol: If i could figure out how to work my scanner ...I have photo's....Well pictures of our limit of filets...I figure about twenty pounds of solid crappie and blue gills filets :lol: :lol:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!><
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Best day was 2 years ago in 6 hours fishing i landed 29 carp with 3 of them being over 30lbs... you can always tell when it's going to be an outstanding day when the first fish comes within minutes of setting up.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

My best day ever....walleye fishing on a sandbar on the Ottawa about 10 years ago. All the walleye elements the experts talk about were in place....mid day, bright sunshine, no wind, water like glass :shock: anyway, between my friend and I we boated about 15 walleye in an hour.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Best day: Saskatchewan River, Jul 1994. My first time fishing the Sask in a boat (previously all done from shore). Lost count of the number of walleye we caught - at least 20 each, almost all were over 3lbs, 5 were over 5lbs. Largest was 6lb2oz. Fantastic fishing (still is) on that waterway and Tobin/Codette Lakes.

Thankfully protected by slot limit: none may be kept between 24-30", and only 1 over 30".

Most memorable day: Stopped the boat to light a smoke in the channel on Jan Lake SK. My (impatient) buddy flipped his jig out for a quick cast. An hour and a half and 17 walleye (all released) later we headed back in to get more minnows. Came back - not a one. Even though the spot is easy to find due to a unique tree on the shore, to this day I have not caught a single walleye from that spot (4yrs later).
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Kesagami Lake, on a calm day, my boat caught 7 pike 38" and over in 45 minutes. The gentleman was using a buzzbait and the kid had the best lure topwater lure for beginners, the top-prop. Worst part was I wasn't even fishing. Also important to note that all the fish were big, we didn't get anything smallish. Had another day with these fellows when they would get a huge strike every other cast for an hour or so but didn't land a single pike.

Locally, it has to be this year ice-fishing. Walleyes after walleyes after a few days of walking+drilling+jigging=no strike.......repeat.

Also notable days, the Ganny last opener, 15 minutes of glory on the BoQ last fall, Lake Wanapetei with my father and bro about 7 years back with walleyes on almost every cast, biggest 10 1/2 pounds. Last summer at my buddies cottage yielded 7 bass between 3-5 pounds in one hour.

This year, muskies and hopefully some carp if I can find some around here.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

This really is a tough one for me....sheesh :!:

One of them has to be the day I was out with 2 buddies and we were fishing for Wallies. Told them about my hot spot near the cottage to which I received the usual, ya right :roll: with the eye roll and all :!:

Well it was an overcast day which turned into a steady drizzle for the whole time we were out. We started trolling at about 1:00 pm. By 3:00 pm we netted, released most of the 47 wallies we caught...The look on their faces was priceless :!:

Now truth be told, I haven't had that good a day again since but, that's because I rarely have 3 of us in a boat anymore. When my young lad and I go out, we typically get 4-10 Wallies....not to mention the Smallies and cats which we don't keep. Then again, we catch a fair number of crappies some days too :!:

The other instance is when I brought out my older brother for some Wallie action. He loves eating them. I told him it was quite likely we'd catch a Muskie if we got lucky. Again with the eyes :roll: ya sure! We couldn't catch a Muskie with these 1/4 oz jigs if we tried. Even after assuring him I get quite a few on jigs throughout the season.

Well we had fished about 2 hours with no takers (Wallies). I had made a comment in passing to my brother that there might be a big Pike or Muskie in the area as the fish just seemed to be shut right down and we had a couple of "bite offs". You know, when they bite once and there goes everything !

Sure enough, guess who catches a Muskie? After he gets over the intial shock, which was like a 15 minute period, he takes another 10-15 minutes to land the thing. 1st Muskie he's ever caught. 45" and I estimated about 27 pounds, unfortunately no scale.

Fortunately I had the camera, we took a few photos which he still gladly shows to anyone wishing to see them. Released the fish and had a great feed of Wallies for dinner.

One big fish caught, but what a day :!:
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

i went home to visit the folks, out west
we went fishin on a river about 3 .5 hr drive north of portage la prairie
4 people in a 14 ft runabout , we boated over 250 fish in under 3hrs
all about 2-3 lbs.
nothing big just an incredible number of fish
been back there a few times but have never even
come close to the bite we had
we were using bottom bouncers with 2 ft spinners, tipped with a worm
colour was not an issue,
my dad has since pasted away but it was a thrill
to have shared unbeleivable day with him

hopefully i can do the same for my "boys"
nofish
DonD
Participant
Participant

Post by DonD »

Ah yes i remember it well. We had a salmon charter out of Wellington ( near picton) on Lake Ontario.
We were fishing off Salmon Point about 1 mile off shore, in just 3 short hours we tagged into 4 good sized King's, total weight was 106 LBS...32, 28, 25, and a 21
Our 32 lbd'er took 3rd big fish for the week in the salmon derby held every year by the Toronto Sun, won some life jackets, fishing lures, boat accesories etc.
Had a charter the following day and took the customers to the same area, zilch, nothing, zero...they had moved on, seemed we were at the right place at the right time the day before...so that was pretty exciting I must admit...
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I think for me it was the day I caught four 30 pounders in an hour, a 51-49-48 and 50 inchers (add those up and it equaled the 16'6" lenght on my boat) and 3 from the same hole. This was back in 96 when I was a rookie at this sport and is the moment I really figured out these buggers as I had a seven fish day the week before. Here's a link to the story: http://www.trentu.ca/muskie/biggies/bfst28.html I just reread my story the last sentense made me realise I should of edited the article in 2000 when a client recaptured the 50 incher 4.5 years later.

In close second was the night I caught twin 54 inchers within 5 minutes of each other. I worked that spot 6 nights straight and almost left after I caught "it". Thank god my sixed sense told me to cast the spot one more time and the second one hit exacly at the same place as the fisrt.

I remember those two events like they happen yesterday and still get chills and an adrenalin rush everytime I go through it in my mind.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Trophymuskie,

I loved your tale of encounters with the Big 'Un's and I love even better that you release them. Just curious: how do you know when one has been recaptured? Are they marked naturally in such a way that you recognize them, or is it due to some tagging process? Awesome pictures!

W.