Backwoods Rods

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Backwoods Rods

Post by Gord »

Has anyone out there ever owned one? If so, how did you like it?

....just doin' a little research :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Not bad rods but way over priced and if you ever have a problem the comany is hard to get results from once you have a problem. You would be better suited to get a St. Crois, G Loomis or All Star.

I know many people who have worked with them and have gotten screwed by them.

JP
muskysean
Participant
Participant

Post by muskysean »

I have one and would agree with JP. They are nice rods but...the price when comparing it to a St.Croix or even a Shimano. :roll: Also the other nice thing about buying a "Mass Produced" rod is that you can see it, hold on to it and choose the model that suits you best. A custom rod, you order it blind and hope it's what you wanted. Just my 2 cents but when you can buy 2 or even 3 rods for the same price as one it makes the decision a little easier.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

The price of some of those St-Croix or Loomis rods............ :shock:
:shock: :shock:

I'll max out around the $130 to $150 range for a rod
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Hi Gord,

been doing some research myself as they do look nice but wondered what you are getting for the price. I've always thought that it is all about the blank and the Backwoods boast a Rainshaddow RX7. This appears to be a moderately cheap blank, less than half the price of a StCroix Legend blank. The Backwoods rods are priced similarly to the Legends btw and both have lifetime waranties. The RX7 is thicker than the StCroix and is rated for a lighter lure, this suggests poorer quality. So what do you get for your $. Arguably you may get a better finish from a hand built rod, the possibility of custom sizes and cork size, better or choice of guides, maybe even your name on the rod. The warranty issues listed above are worrying though. I know from experience that StCroix have outstanding customer service with immediate attention and a new rod in the post within 2 weeks. So what does all this mean? I think there is a reason why experienced anglers recommend StCroix and Gloomis - the blanks are high quality and made in the US, and you can throw lures all day with Popeye arms. My 2c, I think I shall be staying with StCroix.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

it must be what kind of st criox you own that determines the quality of service....

i broke a st criox premiere rod, my first $100 plus rod purchase....st croix wouldn't do a darn thing for me, as i didnt' have the receipt.

that may be their policy. but i know i dont get any flac from returning loomis or shimano rods w/out a receipt.