Four-Legged Angling Companions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Four-Legged Angling Companions

Post by wolfe »

Hi all -

Saskie's mention of his dog accompanying him on this wknd's jaunt for crappie (better luck Sunday, Saskie?!) got me thinking: how many of you have 4-legged fishing friends? Do they relish fishing like you do?

We've got 2 dogs, both Lab persuasions (NOT pedigree!), who complete our little family. Zeke is 12 and is a water hound. Can't get enough, whether it's riding in the boat, chasing minnows or jawing HUGE rocks out of the lake bottom and dragging them up on shore. Toby (9) loves the boat, and jumps to his feet when he hears the drag whine; we have to watch his jaws when fish are brought into the boat. Unfortunately for Toby, he is NOT a good swimmer & occasionally will sink (what happened to his labrador genes?)!

Anyway, as much trouble as they can be (docking is a 3-ring circus), they are like our boat's "hood ornaments" and many people have come up to us saying they recogniz us on the water year after year because of the dogs. Wouldn't be surprised if some of you have seen these two old codgers on the lake!! :wink:

W.

Last edited by wolfe on Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

OK, someone with that extra large cerebral capacity needs to rescue me. Something's wrong with my picture posting abilities... HELP?!

T H A N K S !

(What did I do wrong this time?)

W.
(the computer ignoramus)
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Chester loves fishing. In fact we were ice-fishing at Baitcaster's this winter and usually he was the first one to detect the little perch nibbles: suddenly he'd get that "locked-on" stare at one of our lines, and we'd notice somthing down there was chewing on it.

The first time we had him out we were a little worried because as a young Border Collie/Blu Heeler mix he has energy to burn, but he loved it. He'd just lie in the bottom of the boat and wait for us to to start reeling fast, the he perks up to watch us land the fish. All fish landed have to be sniffed and inspected - he gets very put-out if you forget and just toss a little one back.

Every hour or so he knows that we'll pull up to an island to let him out for a strech and a little swim, especially if it's hot. It's great having him around. Can't fish from shore with him though - he'll chase the hook when you cast. He doesn't even bat an eye at it in the boat, but on shore he thinks you're playing fetch.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Now that's weird, I was thinking of starting this thread last night :!: You reading my mind :?: :shock:

I bring my Miniature Schnauzer sometimes....Casey! Great companion :!:

Did you remember the [img]before%20and%20the[/img] after your photo link line?
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hey, Fellas,

Saskie - WOW, a Heeler / Border mix who will SIT in the boat -- amazing! If we let Toby sniff the fish, like Chester does, it would be beheaded. But he certainly gets into it: eyes bulging, tail stiff, about ready to explode with excitement. Zeke's mellow; interested, but in a polite way. He's more into the drop-off-dog-on-island-for-a-break scene!

WIG, don't know if I'd want to be able to read mens' minds! Might be too shocking! :lol: I just thought it would be a fun post. Got to fill in the time 'til the fish start coming in, right?!

Yeah, I put the IMG stuff in just as you indicated. Hopefully, someone (Markus, Bobber??) can go in and fiddle with it? My doggie pic's are (temporarily) posted in the scenic (FH.net) picture gallery; I'm going to edit them outta there, but plunked them in just for this post.

W.
devy
Participant
Participant

The Greater Dane!!

Post by devy »

We have a 3 year old 150 lb blue dane who accompanies us in the boat while we fish ( a 14' 6 springbook with a 15 hp). He really loves the action of his ears flapping in the wind while lying down on the carpeted floor. Plus, when a fish is caught, he is quite curious. Of course as required by "human" law, he wears his bright yellow PFD. (I had a picture on my hard drive but unfortunately lost it...I may have it on CD...i'll check.. Of course when alone, or if the water is too choppy, he stays home. Should see the looks we get...people pointing and yellow hey ther's scooby doo or marmaduke. Well, hell yeh...he thinks he's a people and wants to join in the fishing fun!! :roll: :!:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

He's a suishi dog, when you get a fish on he goes nuts!

wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Quick note of thanks to jsdx who was kind enough to straighten me out on getting the doggie pic's to post successfully!! Nice of you to take the time... :D

Devy, I thought our Zeke was a giant at 105+ pounds, but you have us beat! Will he swim? (He'd look like Nessie coming through the water and scare the swimming tourists off the shore!)

Fishforfun, is that a Scottie? He is "too stinkin' cute"!!!

W.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Yes he's a scottie, the jacket keeps the huge head above water, without it he swims like a cannon ball. His name is Mactavish.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

This is Hogan with Bowzog, ice fishing on the Rideau River. We were dog-sitting Hogan while his humans were sunning in Mexico. Hogan was interested more in the snowmobiles than the fish..... what fish?? We didn't catch any!

and here is 17-year-old Brat. She comes to the cottage with us but would rather sleep on the couch than fish. She's allowed.
Bass Bandit
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Bandit »

I have a Lab and A Husky
I have tried taking them both fishing. The Husky just lays there and get to hot. The Lab jumps in the water and tries to retrieve the lure, any lure, floaters or sinking. Doesn't matter.
Makes it pretty hard to get the fish, you just have to be quick.
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

i have a 52 lb white bull terrier (don cherry dog ) called stella
totally relaxed in the boat. just sits there and takes in the scenery.
she melts if it starts to rain .
she been on many a trip, can't swim worth crap
too dense its quicker for her to hit bottom and run to shore.

nofish
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Bass Bandit, can only imagine your lab launching himself off the boat with each cast. Guess he's just doing what he's bred for, though! "GO GIT IT!" :lol:

NoFish, sounds like your Stella and my Toby are both canine Titanics! :lol:

(Do either of you have pic's to post?)

W.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Took mine with me a couple of weeks ago, all she wanted to do was chase the geese and get me dead fish, what a girl! She was too busy chasing down scents and saying hello to fellow fishermen to have anything to do with me. One thing she won't do is get wet, she is supposed to have some Lab in her, strange way of showing it. It's just nice to get out with her, we need to fish more often!
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

I had a female golden retreiver before I got Mc tavish, we couldn't take her to the boat. The kids were little then and she would not let them do anything without here being there. Awful big dog to get in and out of a dinghy! Mc tavish is very calm and much smaller, easy to deal with on the boat. Reading the posts though it seems the females are more difficult to deal with. LOL