corn for trout

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

corn for trout

Post by scttsmpsn »

I was told that corn was great for bait to catch 'bows. Big Jim in Calabogie told us that using corn is not good for the trout as they cannot pass it and they will eventually die. good enough reason for me to not use corn.

He said that Exude Corn, and Berkley corn baits do work and they can be passed by the trout. We will be giving this option a try. (We never tried real corn).

My question is whether or not it would be worthwhile using corn for lakers? We would rig the corn with a worm, inflate the worm and let it sit up off the bottom. Works for 'bows? Would it work for lakers that are down 60-100 feet this time of year.

I know lake trout will feet near the top in spring, but are they still near the bottom or do they wait until it is warmer to descend?

Cheers,

Scott
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Just did a quick search and I came up with this:

Clyde & crowbait,
This Pa. study addresses the use of corn for trout bait.
Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet. During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet. The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Corn

Post by Jigs »

Do you digest corn???............not particularly well

Do trout digest corn???.............not particularly well

Are there better trout baits???.............yepper

Should you use corn???............probably not.

Do Carp digest corn???..............probably not too well but who cares?

Ah life is full of mystery. :roll:

Regards: Jigs.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

LOL

When I checked inside my Bow to see what it was eating, It was full of corn(not digested at all) and a dolllar king plastic grub that was hard as a rock, It must of been hungry, anyway I guess people will try anything for fish.
Ricc
Participant
Participant

Post by Ricc »

I haven't used corn as yet but this is what I was told I could use by a fanatic trout fisherman. So, these facts will cancel out on that idea for me, and I'll be sure to pass on the word. But, if not corn, what else can I throw over the side of the boat?
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

I bought some Berkley corn bait; it is suppsed to be ok for the trout. Same with Exude Corn Niblet bait.

Cheers,

Scott