Clayton Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Clayton Lake

Post by Gord »

Does anyone know if you can rent a boat at Clayton Lake? I hear there is good Walleye and Pike in the lake.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Funny you should ask. I was there today checking things out. I didn't see anywhere to rent boats: looks mostly like a cottager's lake. It is pretty. There's a very small, narrow boat launch right in the village of Clayton (right beside the dam, if you're not watching you'll miss it). I was just saying in another post that it's a very pretty lake and looks very "walleye-ish" (Lot's of structure and current).

If you take Hwy 49 (? - March Rd from Kanata) straight through Almonte, turn right on Tatlock Rd you'll end up in Clayton. The Lake will be visible on your left as you drive through the village.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

A great lake that has taken a beating over the years...being so close to the city and having good quality eyes....

Locals I've spoken to want ice-fishing banned for a few years to let the eyes get back...

renting boats?...not too sure but I don't think so...

RJ

P.S. Great largemouths as well... :wink:
hawgwild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawgwild »

I'm not sure if they still do but the Beaton's camp ground on Clayton use to rent aluminum boats. I rented from them a several years ago before I got my own boat.

It wouldn't hurt to give them a call.
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

I to have rented boats from the same place a little while back and if you follow the shore to the left at the very first point there are some pretty big pike in that area. If you were to head straight out from where you rented the boat, about 1/2 to3/4 of a km off the middle to the right , look for a submerged weed line. We had some good outings in that lake and that was one of the best spots that we found. hope this helps, and i'll say what the hawg said, I'm not sure if they still rent boats there!
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

One my favorite lakes for sure..great Pike, Bass and Walleye!
I would have had my biggest ever pike there had I not been fishing with my then girlfriend. Unfortunately I hadn't shown her that you actually have to put then net in the water and scoop....She ended up nailing the monster in the head..She broke off..never to be seen again...
Same day....my buddy pulled out a 20" Walleye in the same spot!!!
Fish the rock wall...we were both using black and yellow plastic with yellow jig heads.
Beatons is a good launch spot and yes they did rent boats..as everyone else says..I haven't noticed over the past 2 years if they are still there...
Great Lake...Great Lake!!!!
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

Yes you can rent boats!! There is a park called Clayton Lakeside there with some very nice and helpful people. Here's their number
(613) 256-1388. You can call them for directions it was easy to find, the only thing is there was one turn which lead to the park which the sign on the left was hard to see so when you're close slow down.

P.S. Great Fishing although the second day we went up the fish weren't really hitting all day but as soon as the sun started to go down we got tons of walleye bass and pike.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Thanks for all the info fellow Hawk-Talkers! I'll definitly be checking out those two places that were mentioned for boat rentals once the walleye/pike season opens. thanks again!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"