To Paddle or not to paddle

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Have you ever needed your paddle due to breakdown?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27

Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

To Paddle or not to paddle

Post by Seaweed »

Does anyone know if you still have to include a paddle in your boat if you have a secondary motor on your boat or if you have and electric. I am just curious because I want to maximize the storage space I have on the new boat.

Can anyone clarify this for me?
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Yes you do :

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/obs-bsn/sbg-gsn/6mpower_e.htm

However if space is an issue, consider a collapseable one. You's never want to have to actually use the thing, but you'd have it if you were ever stopped.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Have had to paddle once in little aluminum (the minnow1) with 3 fat guys in the boat. Even with outboard motor (wrecked lower unit that morning) and with a trolling motor (forget what stopped working on that).

I believe you need paddles or an anchor. I like both.

M.T. Livewell
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I've never used a paddle, but I have had to use the cell phone a couple times!
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

M.T. L Is right.

Propelling device (paddle) OR anchor with at least 50 Ft (15M) of rope or chain.

So by law, your OK with an anchor, which can be handy in some fishing situations anyway. Plus I use the rope from my anchor for all kind of things like launching the boat by myself.But I garantee you'll only get caught once in a situation where you need a paddle and left it behind for a little more room.
stephenP
Participant
Participant

Post by stephenP »

No, I've never really used the paddle for a breakdown, but I have been glad I had it. Last year at the Hawk-Talkers spring ball at Pincrest resort, I took off like at bat out of hell towards the bay that was producing. Being the first morning, I took a cursory look at the chart and then put the hammer down on my Legend Viper165 with a 75-4stroke. Well, as I had a newly introduced Hawk-Talker as my partner that day, we spent some time getting acquainted instead of watching the shoreline. After about 20 minutes at 43MPH I figured man, the bay is a long way. Headed for a fella close to shore and asked for directions. He told us we were about 7 miles past where we wanted to be. Backtracked for 18 minutes at 43 MPH and voila, the bay. Fished a while and decide its time for lunch. Leave the bay, not quite sure which way is Pinecrest, head the wrong way for 10 minutes, again at light speed, then decide to check fuel--- you got it--- very low. Head back, this time the right way at a slow crawl but ran out anyway. McGiver time--- listen for the shoreline humm of a lawnmower, which means gas, then use trollig motor to get us there (aessessing the paddle would be back-up if the battery wears down). Short hop in buddy's truck and we're back at it, 43 MPH towards Pinecrest. Moral of the story-have all the safety things you're supposed to in your boat, cause even if a new boat isn't likely to break down, fishermen have been known to have brain farts when the smell of a new season take control of their common sense.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

On the home waters I'm always up river. Last year I was anchored out in the middle of the river in the current when I had some motor troubles. I used the paddle to get my butt to shore so I could go over the problem a little more thoroughly. Going down river and paddling a 20 foot freighter canoe isn't so difficult, but if I had never got that motor going again once at shore I can imagine the 15 kms home wouldn't have been a picnic. Especially if the tide was coming in.

God Bless the paddle. Don't leave home without it. :)
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Two for me, please!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Depending on the type of boat, one paddle can be next to useless- I always carry 2 in the bottom of a rod locker. They're out of the way there, but if needed, and there are two people in the boat, 2 paddles are 20 times more efficient than one.

I've had to go from Deseronto all the way to Belleville using my trolling motor once, but have never had to actually use the paddles, thank goodness. :lol:

CCB
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Lost the out board right off the stern of a 12' once paddled, a mile back to shore. Don't ask won't even post that in the How stupid was that forum. the tournament committee awarded me with a weekend A$$hole shirt for that manouver.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

The law states. “one manual propelling device” or …

Definition. a. A technique or means. To cause to move forward or onward.

Wow, could the lawyers have fun with this one.

I bet I could use my Musky rod as a push pole ( not that I would) . What about the Light pole ?

How about putting the engine in gear, and manually pulling it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

paddle

Post by Jigs »

:roll:

Regards: Jigs.
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Uses for the Paddle.

Post by Lucannus »

OK.

Without a paddle I would not have been able to do this:

Push boat off sand bar!
-Paddle can make for an easy push pole!

Defense against Loons!
- Read story in Funny Story section

Poke Draven in ribs while he is concentrating!
- He gets madder than the loons, but is much less scary!

Pass things between boats
-Serving platter for the fine diners!

Held Musky to side of boat
- I had no cradle and wasn;t going to boat it by myself so with on oar I pushed it the side and the other and VERY long pliers removed the hook

Lay Oar across two boat sides and makes and easy way to join two boats
- Very usefull!

Rolling disguisting fish out of boat
-Once got a diseased Pike in boat and there was no way I was touching him!

Push Pole from Shore or from rocks
- Again Oars make a great push pole

Pole Valted to shore.
-Ever have to make that leap from boat to shore but its too rocky to land her. Well your oar makes a good little vaulting rod. Enough leverage to make the leap. Of course a running jump from shore is enough to get you back.

& Paddled back to shore when engine wouldn't start.

So all in all that oar can be very helpful and usefull You just have to be creative!
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

Have definitely needed the paddle for a push pole on multiple occasions, as we like to fish shallow in the bass boat. Also needed it once in Hamilton Harbour, as we ran out of gas about half a kilometre from the ramp and needed to paddle our way in. We have 2 paddles, but let me tell you, paddling a 19ft bass boat is a bit tougher than paddling a canoe! :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I think Murphy's Law would jawlock on you the day you decided to set forth without your paddle(s). It waits for poor, unsuspecting fools to slip up. :twisted: (Imagine yourself helplessly drifting out in the middle of some remote lake because your horseys have failed you! :shock: )

Take the paddle(s) -- we do what CCB does: store them in the rod locker where they are out of sight & mind, but not out of reach.

You just never know when and for what you might need them. (Just reading the posts of Fishforfun and Lucannus should be argument enough!)
:lol:

W.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

One more safety feature of a paddle is if somebody fell overboard, you can use it to stretch out for the person to grab onto. Especially if you come across a capsized boat and don't know the people... last thing you need is someone to panic and pull you in too... with a paddle you can just let go without risk to yourself.
As for using a paddle after a breakdown... all the time. For a while it seemed like a fishing trip wasn't complete until I rowed home, and when leaving the dock I always seemed to go up wind or up current, fully expecting to have an easier row home. :? I have since upgraded my ride and was thinking the same thing... where do I put the paddles? Does anyone have a good suggestion for a collapsable one?