Ottawa River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
In Flames fan#1

Ottawa River

Post by In Flames fan#1 »

I live near Petrie Island and i would just like to know if the ice has melt on the river? and are there any good spots around that area? and has there been anything big fish pulled out from there?
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

The ice is gone and there is pretty good fishing in the immediate area. Are you on shore or in a boat?

Nothing big caught yet that I am aware of since pike and walleye don't open till May 7th. But there are crappy, and I would imagine catfish as well if you need to get the hooks wet.

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
Brent_fish#4

Post by Brent_fish#4 »

I usually fish right off the bridge but i always seem to attract snapping turtles. Am i doing anything wrong?
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Can't say for sure why you are attracting turtles. But without seeing a pic of you, any chance you look like this guy? :roll:

Welcome aboard.

M.T. Livewell
Brent_fish#4

Post by Brent_fish#4 »

no but when i casted a jitterbug last year a snapping turtle came up around 3 feet from where i was standing from shore and it just followed it was green with a white bottom
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Petrie Island and area is great fishing....lots a walleye, pike, Smallies, and a musky or two...
Talk to the guys down ant Petrie bait and tackle they know where to go...but I am sure you'll get lots of response on here...PM me and we'll talk....your fishin in my back yard!!