Browns in the deushene rapids near brittania?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rico
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Browns in the deushene rapids near brittania?

Post by Rico »

Has anyone succesfully fished these rapids for brown trout? I have seen them jumping during the spring a few years back but have yet to catch one.Only thing I havent tried has been a fly rod. Anyone succesful?
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Rico

Welcome to the site,as far as the browns go...I'v heard for years that they are there....but I'v never seen or heard of one being caught :? If I were going to try for them...I would try during low light times as browns like walleye are light senitive they are also very skiddish....stelth is the key word for shore line browns!!...Good luck...keep us posted on your Quest

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!><
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Good morning Rico, Welcome aboard.
I have caught Browns all be it small ones at Champlain Island in the Ottawa where Champlain bridge connects Ottawa to Quebec. Another spot I have caught one or two over the years is at the Britannia water filtration plant (also on the Ottawa river) also a great spot for shoreline small mouth, especially on the North shore where the river creates a stream like effect. I had worked at the plant for quite few years and used to fish the shore before starting work and during my lunch break. Now I work at a sewage treatment plant and fishing for browns would take on a whole new meaning
Well and truly hooked!
Hookset Fishing
Participant
Participant

Post by Hookset Fishing »

Well, I knew of one guy who successfully fished for them there and certainly the Ottawa River has enough of a varied habitat to support the Brown Trout population.

I would talk to the guys at Orvis Green Drake. They would know better than anyone about what opportunities there might be to fish for Browns around Ottawa.

Cheers,

Matt
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

nice

Post by jazman »

Nasty ICEMAN Nasty

:shock:
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

The stocking lists show MNR stocks the Findlay, Poole and Shields Creaks in Ottawa however the Ottawa river it’s self doesn’t show up in the last 5 year’s of stocking Browns.
Rico
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico »

As far as i know its not the mnr but some fly club that pays for the stocking, they just got it approved by the mnr.It's been stocked for about 5-6 years
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Check out the latest Canadian Fly Fisherman magazine for an article on Ottawa's Browns
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Hey Xenos,
never heard of these creeks(Findlay,Poole,Shields).
Where would you locate these creeks.Like to give them a try.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I know Poole runs through stitzville ,one crosses bank and the other is in the east end somewhere.

I have never fished them, I was just shocked when I saw them on the stocking lists.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Browns in Poole Creek and in the ottawa

Post by jsdx »

I've seen small (< 6 inch) trout in Pools creek but never caught a trout there.

There were bigger trout in the creek however. A few years ago, there was a news report about some sewer work where they flush clorine into the sanitary sewars for some reason. The sewars were mis-marked and they accidently put the stuff into the storm sewars. This resulted in killing a few hundred trout in Pool creek. Some looked pretty big - 14+ inchers. Anyone else remember this ?

Re: Browns in the ottawa. The Champlain Run Trout Club has stocked browns with permission for the last few years. Its described here
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... an131.html

You can also see pics at www.greendrake.com, and these happen to be the same pics you can find in the canadian fly fishing magazine this month (thanks to Tood B for that reference).

John
New Kid
Participant
Participant

Post by New Kid »

I walked pooles creek today and saw three trout. Pretty little creek. I think ariving there in the early morning might be a good idea as the creek is clear enough and small enough that the trout were very weary. Any thoughts?
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

Dont know of browns at brittannia, but there is lots of other stuff there, gar,pike, pickeral, bass, cats and pans. I like going there in the evening for a quick fish, as long as there are no idiots wading around like last year, I'm fishing for pickeral and these two wantabees flyboys come wading along just at prime time and right through the pickeral hole. (':twisted:')
oh well I guess each to there own.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Browns in the Poole Creek

Post by Northern King »

Where exactly are these brown seen at Poole Creek?? I went down to near the arena, in Stittsville, and it seems to me like there are no trout in that little amount of water. Does anybody no where a good spot would be to fish this water????
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

If you are headed to Stittsville....turn into Fringewood....it's a small trailer park area right before Stittsville....follow that all the way to the last houses....in behind those houses you will find a large pool that the creek flows into... :wink: