Rigging up a temp livewell...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Hey folks,

Just looking for opinions....I'm looking to use a cooler and some kind of aerator for it for the Baitcasters Tournament...

I've had the suggestion of using a battery operated air pump for aquariums....would that be enough?.....I think it would...just wanna make sure is all...

Thanks!..RJ
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

RJ, are you just looking to hold pike?

Another option would be fish basket. They're relatively inexpensive.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

2 Pike....2 Walleye....hopefully....BIGUNS!... :wink:
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

RJ
when we riged up a cooler as a livewell in Big O's old boat we used a bilge pump ran a hose up and put a plastic pipe with holes drilled in it also you can buy a pump with an areator top on it and suction cups on the bottom.
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

RJ, tony was going to rig up a livewell in the aluminum for us... was just going to use a cooler and some aerator's to it... keep some ice or change the water consitently in order to keep the water cool!!! I have a rapala batetry operated aerator that you could borrow if you dont want to buy one just yet.. there pretty cheap though, i think under 20$!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I think I will look into a small battery operated aerator...and change the water every few hours....with the water being cool...I'm sure it will be fine... :D
GamblerSteve
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GamblerSteve »

RJ,

Ed has aerators at the store they power off you main battery. Len had one these and they worked great. Put it in a cooler and attach it to your battery and your rockin. Probably have to change your water sometimes cause of the pike slim (slimy bubbles in my wine). Or you can bring your old skimmer. :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

ballpark price?...don't wanna break the bank for one day tournament.... :?
GamblerSteve
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GamblerSteve »

I have no idea on the price. I just remember see them on the wall.
GamblerSteve
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GamblerSteve »

PM Ed he might be coming on the board soon. I don't think there that much.
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

I've got a aluminum live well that I recently took out of my boat, has all plumbing, 450 gph pump, aerator, but requires outlet to drain $100.00 for all.
Approx 22 wide, 10 deep, 30 long.
BENLEGER
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BENLEGER »

RJ, I've used for a couple of years only a simple container\cooler with no pump,change half of the water every 2 hours(with a bucket) to keep the water cold and you shouldn't have any problems since its still relatively cold outside,another trick fill up 2 liters pop bottles with water and put them in your freezer, tournament morning put'em in your livewell it will help keep the water cold. I have kept 1-6pounds walleye in their all day without problems. Good Luck
BEN
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

One thing..we will need something to hold very very very large pike and Walleye!!! A cooler may not be enough!! :P
Where we gonna put the second fish?
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

A tip I heard for keeping the water cool is fill a 2 Liter pop bottle and freeze it over night then just leave it in the water.
Simmer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Simmer »

Rapala makes an aerator called a bubble box for $20. It has a clip so you can attach it to the side of the cooler. My budy built a live well with one of these and a cooler. Drill a hole in the top of the cooler for the hose and attach the aerator and your good to go. Makes a great bait box too. We have had minnows from bags left over night that were seeing the light, but came back once in the box. Works great.