Opinions on possible boat purchase

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
hawgwild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawgwild »

Sending you a PM but check out Tracker boats. Especially the Grizzly.

Pete
I would like to thank my sponsors for their continued support: Nitro Boats, Mercury Motors, George's Marine and Sports, Okuma, Mustad, Live Target, Vertical Lures, Save Phace, and Esterline
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond to this post as it has given me alot more info on this subject and this being my first boat I can certainly use it..haha. Looks like the Lowe is out and the search is still on.

Thanks again !!!!!!
XXXL
Participant
Participant

Post by XXXL »

I just bought a boat from the states last month, couldn't have been easier. Only real downside I can see is that I have to drive a couple hours down to NY state for warranty if needed. For me it was well worth it. I just saw the same model boat with an older, smaller motor listed in Toronto for $8000 more than I paid (and we're talking about a used boat that was less than $20K). On top of that I got to do some early season bass fishing down in NY when I picked it up. Besides stopping at the border (which was about 30 minutes of paperwork) the only extra work was bringing the trailer to CTC for a RIV inspection so I could get plates for the trailer - took about 15 minutes. For me it was well worth the thousands of dollars I saved. PM me if you have any questions about importing from the US.
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

JP's used boats

Post by mikemicropterus »

Lowes are good,,, Princecrafts and Lunds are very stable....

Misty River like Legends and Lowes... consumer value boats...

G3 is a good boat....

Crestliner another good stable boat...

I agree with some of the members saying to look to the US, if you get the right sellor you can get some very good deals with little hassle...

I bought my boat right from the factory and then went down to pick it up...
I also have helped more than a few people buy boats from the states in the past few years.....it's quite easy and with their economy and our dollar it is worth the effort....

I just got my issue of IBI( International Boat Industry) last year saw a 11% downtrun in boat sales(average) in the US and this years #'s look WORSE so their dealers are hurting and we can benefit from this.... The only issue with buying in the US is getting a good inspection on the motor and boat before buying but a sellor who is really serious will have had the boat already inspected and the receipts to prove it...
GOOD LUCK :)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

lifeisfun wrote:Did you ever purchase boat from US ?
Not that easy :roll:
Spend the time working and buy the boat here :lol:
Actually yes.

Will have it this week. There were many reasons I decided to go south.
The main one is that there are no dealers for that make here.

There are lot of misconceptions as to what is required to bring a boat into Canada.

Go to www.riv.ca - if you have the vin number you can call and have them check it to see if it is admissible. If it is the trailer must have a sticker of compliance and matching vin numners to the ownership

you will need an invoice for the boat/motor and one for the trailer matching serial numbers and vin numbers to the boat/motor/trailer

then you need to pay
195$ - RIV fee at the border plus gst
GST on the Boat/motor/trailer
eventually PST on everything when you go to register it.

In about 2-3 days RIV will send you an inspection form - Take it to any CTC. They will inspect the trailer.

Once inspected you can go get it (the trailer) register at an MTO office
At the same time go to service ontario and register the boat. Get numbers.

Have nice numbers made by someone in the sign business (don't do the stick on CTC number thingy)

and you are now legal.
Last edited by CNs on Tue May 06, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

hmmm.... and all the time and possible more time with warranty travel ?
Not my cup of tee :)
I'll rather go fishing !
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

This boat looks real good and at a real good price. I contacted this individual twice and got no response so maybe it is sold.

I have noticed that most boats on Used Ottawa are ridiculously over priced.
Bronze Participant

Post by karma »

I purchased a used boat in the U.S. myself last fall and I can honestly say it was a lot of running around and stress. Carrying that much cash with me over the border is an issue as the U.S. doesn't want you to carry more than $10K across the border, and how else are you going to pay some guy in the U.S. for their boat -- cheque, don't think so.

Never mind all the different steps you need to follow to get the paperwork processed -- I'm sure there are about 12 different things you need to do and at least four different places you need to go, (Canada Customs at the border, service Canada to have the boat licensed, CT to have the trailer inspected, license bureau to have the trailer licensed).

If one bit of paper isn't perfect, you can end up in a bit of a mess, which is what happened to me. The VIN on my trailer registration was missing a digit. They wanted me to go back to the owner in the states and have a new registration issued at their end. After two different visits to the license bureau, we finally agreed to have a letter from a local dealer certify what the actual VIN is on the trailer. The VIN was also an issue at the border and with RIV.

Maybe purchasing a new boat in the U.S. is easier, but I'd still be concerned over warranty issues as who wants to trailer a boat down to the U.S. to have service work done, and then be told there will be a week's wait for a part to come in? Outboard warranties are also an issue, most are just not transferable, and the ones that are seem far less comprehensive than what you would get by buying locally.

In my case the style of boat I purchased (Port Erie Catamaran) was just not available in Canada, and I really wanted that hull design. However, if I could have purchased it locally, I think I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and stress.

Oh yes, I'm told you should watch out for boats that were brought into Canada from the U.S. as many come from Florida where they were run in salt water. Boats run in salt water are far more prone to wood rot.
Last edited by karma on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

:oops: :oops:
Last edited by Bass Addict on Wed May 07, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

No offence but you can stick that motto when it comes to buying high end items....

I am in the market to upgrade to a 30 horse 4 stroke from my existing 20 horse 2 stroke...

The closest I came to matching the price was $2200 more than stateside.....and that's on a $5-6000 item....

I certainly think a 2 hour drive to save myself that kind of money is time well spent....
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

I feel for the local retailers on high end items such as cars and boats as they are dictated to by their suppliers but until the pricing gets in line I will continue to shop south of the border.

I am amazed on how things is Canada can be 30% and more expensive then the US. I understand that because of taxes and the cost of doing business in Canada adds price to items but 30% and more is just taking advantage.

I had to buy winter tires and rims for my this past winter and I saved $800 on a $1500 purchase and that was after shipping, UPS charge and I still had to pay GST and PST. Look at any tire purchase here in Canada and you will pay 50% more then the US. I will support the local guy as much as I can but when you can buy tires out of the US for half of the price it is time to start drawing the line.

If you want a real chuckle go to Bose.com and then to Bose.ca and look at the prices. The web pages are exactly the same except that one has 20% higher prices.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Karma,

Of the 4 places you listed you will have to go to 3 of the 4 if you bought a used boat in Canada anyways.....
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I'm still curious what BA edited??? :shock: :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Probably had a "MONSTER" deal... :lol: