piranha props

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

piranha props

Post by bass ackwards »

Has anyone had experience with these composite props, they sound good, performance figures are comparable, price seems reasonable. Why then would people run stainless? (':?')
Is it becaue they are shiny and expensive!

Curious in Ottawa.
DH
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Composite props

Post by Cancatchbass »

If you're looking at a prop for a small motor, and are not concerned with performance, a composite prop might be an option.

Both composite and aluminum props cannot be compared to stainless, though. The disadvantage of both is that they flex under load, reducing performance- both hole shot and top end. You might want to consider a composite as a spare, due to its light weight, but aside from that, (where's the thumbs down icon? :lol:).

CCB
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

AS well as :

if you smack a rock with a composite...the prop will break=cheap
compared to a stainless...which will not....but instead
will result in a wrecked lower unit which is...
20X+ more expensine to fix
javelin4
Participant
Participant

Post by javelin4 »

I would stay as far away from those props as you can.I had one a couple years back when I got a new motor.I was trying to set it up with the write prop and pitch.These props seamed great at the time. First fun with it only one or two mile down river and a blabe just sheers off,back in we go,the lad had no problems replacing it.Next trip out just on plain I sheer of two blabes. that was it stainless for me from now on.I would even rather have an aluminum prop than those comosite,stay away.By the way the motor was a 150 merc

Javelin4
mlamothe
Participant
Participant

prop

Post by mlamothe »

I have a piranha prop on right now. I have a 30hp and it works fine. I did hit a very large rock last year with it and it only took off about 1cm off the tip of one of the blades and scuffed the second one. The third was ok... thank goodness i was trolling... i have no idea where that came from i was in 15 feet of water on a choppy day... then all of a sudden whamm.

So i would recomend these props for the smaller boat.