Best Line For Spinning Reels

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Best Line For Spinning Reels

Post by Eagle »

Thought I would ask the experts what the best line for spinning reels would be. :wink: Anyone try Cabela's Pro Line Premium Co-Polymer line?

Our main interest is for smallies.

Thanks for your reply,

Eagle
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

After trying a number of lines, I settled on P line CXX 8 or 10 lb. It casts like a rocket and is the most abrasion resistant line I have ever used. It is a co polymer as well. The only downside is that it has to sit on your reel a day or so to conform to the reel's shape. If you use it immediatley after spooling, it tends to come off in clumps. This characteristic seems to disappear after a day or so.

Ed Toobinator Puddephatt
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

I have to agree with ED. I use it on my small mouth rod too but I use 10 lb (Haven't got the nerve to try thinner yet)
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

I love my spinning gear, Power pro works nice, but not real invisible in clear water. But you may want to try a softter rod cause the hookset can send topwater past your ears real quick. Works great on those deeper spots, great sensitivity. I've only used braids can't get used to that cooked spaghetti feel of mono. I'm trying some flourocarbon on one reel, but haven't had a lot of experience with it yet, so the jury is still out. Has anybody tried that stren superbraid yet???
Jamesh
Participant
Participant

Post by Jamesh »

I love using the braided stuff(fireline,pp) on most of my spinning reels. What I do to do more of a stealth approach with my braided line is attach a 18-36 inch tippet of floro/mono with a small barrel swivel or use a blood knot. With the tippet it allows to absorb some of the shock when setting the hook and also if your retieing all the time it will not take away the quanity of line on your reel.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

I strung up with Ironsilk last year and had much sucess with it, no problems with knots or birdnests, casts well and held up to all those pike and bass. Didn't use a leader and lost nary a fish!
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

I agree with bigjoe, Iron silk is awsome. Try it before dishing out the cah for braided. I personally use 8lbs and can still pull in logs without breakage.

Dave