Did my thing...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Did my thing...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Now it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

I just reported a couple of boats to the MNR for fishing before the season.

Each year a group of Pennsylvanians comes to a local lodge for the opening of pike and then later for opening of bass.

The problem is they never wait for the season to actually open. :x

I've talked to a number of them over the past few years, but have gotten nowhere. At first they had excuses- "We're putting them all back anyway!" and such garbage. It has become obvious, though, that they just don't care, and feel they have nothing to fear.

As Popeye used to say- That's all I can stands; I can stands no more!

I didn't realize how hard it would be to report them. :shock: Called the Hotline in the regulations. They passed me on to the Kingston MNR office. No answer there at first. Finally get an answer, and they give me a toll free # to call. I gave the story to the guy who answered the call and he said he would transfer me to Kemptville, but cut me off instead. Called back and the same thing happened. I then looked up the Kemptville # and called direct and got a helpful woman who took the info. and said it would be immediately relayed to C.O. Bert.

I had the boat makes, colours, registrations, descriptions of occupants and their tackle, and the name and # of the lodge they're staying at. Let's hope the C.O. tracks them down.

I plan on checking with the lodge in a couple of days to see if anything develops.

CCB
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Good for you CCB...

I stopped at the Caledonia Dam, last night @ 8:30 and asked the 5-6 guys (down from 30-40 at 6:30) "how's the fishin"

Not bad was the reply...

What'ch ya catchin? Trout or Pics...

Pics.

:( :x :?
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Don't even get me started on this topic!!!! :evil: :evil: :x

K.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Did my thing...

Post by Markus »

Cancatchbass wrote: I plan on checking with the lodge in a couple of days to see if anything develops.

CCB
CCB, if the lodge has accepted they're payment and is providing resources....will they be liable as well?
BENLEGER
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BENLEGER »

Good Job on reporting them, damn those people who can't follow the rules, they also don't realize that it will affect the fish population and we'll all pay for it one day. People! stick to crappie,perch and catfifh until pike and walleye opens, And wait for bass to open before pitching your plastics in the weeds claiming you're fishing for "pike".

BEN
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Well, blame the Liberal government for this problem. cut backs and all of that BS. Anyway, good for you CCB, I plan on having a busy summer reporting soem folk who don't even have a licence fishing and keeping pails of bass. Arseholes. I think the minestry should Deputize or have auxillary CO's who can issue tickets and such and are still average joes. I tell ya, I would be the first one in line to sign up. Keep up the good work guys.

P.S- Maybe Salmon can help us on this but I do believe that A Police Officer can enforce certian sections of the Criminal Code and the CO act does fall under the code and it also says a Cst. is one of the people who can inforce the act......so if you guys have some police buddies ...use'em
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: ....

Post by saskie »

BENLEGER wrote:Good Job on reporting them, damn those people who can't follow the rules, they also don't realize that it will affect the fish population and we'll all pay for it one day. People! stick to crappie,perch and catfifh until pike and walleye opens, And wait for bass to open before pitching your plastics in the weeds claiming you're fishing for "pike".

BEN
That IS how I fish pike in May and first part of June: Split-tail plastic behind a spinner or spoon.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Markus

Post by Cancatchbass »

Hi Markus:

I would believe that the lodge has no complicity in this type of situation. Their responsibility is to provide food and lodging to their clients only.

Once the clients leave the dock, who is to say what they're doing?

This particular lodge's owners are responsible types, and I have had good relations with them for several years. I'll post once I know what action(s) the C.O. took, if any.

CCB
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

When I purchased my son's new fishing pole last week, I ended up in conversation with a man who was browsing the poles also. He mentioned he takes vacation time for a week or two every May to go fishing. I asked him where and what he fished for and his whole expression changed. I immediately said, jokingly, "Don't worry I won't steal your spot!" Then he kind of sheepishly said something like "It's not the spot, it's just that we fish for bass, even though they're out of season." He mentioned he takes his kids along and, therefore, wants them to get "action". Anyway, I should have said something, but I didn't. Just kind of drifted off and ended the chat. Seemed like a nice enough guy, and I'm sure he was in many ways...but he actually targets the bass population during the spawn year after year on the same river.

W.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Jackasses all of them!... :evil: :evil:

Why is it that we see more C.O's during the winter season than we do during spawning times?...I fish the Ottawa almost exclusively and have only ever seen one C.O. in about 10 years...and he mor eor less just wanted to check out my buddies boat... :roll:

RJ

Good for you CCB!

I hope something comes down the pipe for these guys
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

WAY TO GO TOM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taking fish out of season never made any sence to me....You cutting your own throat!!!!!! To be honest C.C.B. i dought if any thing will come of it :cry: The MNR. c/o's are streched to thin..over worked, obsolite equipment ,poor comunications :cry: :cry: I hope that they come thru .....but

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lucannus »

RJ wrote:Jackasses all of them!... :evil: :evil:

Why is it that we see more C.O's during the winter season than we do during spawning times?...I fish the Ottawa almost exclusively and have only ever seen one C.O. in about 10 years...and he mor eor less just wanted to check out my buddies boat... :roll:

RJ

Good for you CCB!

I hope something comes down the pipe for these guys
I think it is alot easier to find and get to people becuase we congregate during winter, like petrie island. There same number of CO's they just know where to find the largest sum of people.

That being said I think Tom did the right thing and we should. Report everything that we are sure of. The more requests we put in the more pressure and this also gives the CO's the resources to ask for more and know where to go out.

If you were to file a report daily on poaching you saw in your corner of the world they will respond after enough calls come in.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Did my thing...

Post by Fishhawk »

Cancatchbass wrote:Now it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

I just reported a couple of boats to the MNR for fishing before the season.

Each year a group of Pennsylvanians comes to a local lodge for the opening of pike and then later for opening of bass.

The problem is they never wait for the season to actually open. :x

CCB
I am sure CCB doesn't mean to infer that the problem is with anglers from Pennsylania. Disregard for regulations is a problem with anglers from all over. These anglers just happen to be from Penn.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Yep!

Post by Cancatchbass »

You have it right, Hawk.

This entire area of the province is very popular with anglers throughout the U.S. northeast, but especially so with PA fishermen.

There are many I run across year after year that are a joy to meet and share info. with. Most are catch-and-release anglers and are very knowledgeable of angling in general and our waters in particular.

Many have been coming to the same bodies of water for several generations and actually know the waters better than 99% of the locals! :oops:

In my post I did not mean to single out anglers from any particular state as being a problem. I guess I wanted to indicate it was not "locals" who were breaking the law. My sincere apologies as I wasn't clear on this point.

CCB
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

big-o

Post by Cancatchbass »

Hey big-o:

The next time you're talking to a C.O., ask to see inside his truck.

They have brand new state-of-the-art communications systems, GPS systems, security systems- you name it. The electronics in them probably cost almost as much as the truck. :shock:

The only problem is, they are expected to cover a territory the size of Prince Edward Island...

CCB