how to size an elect trolling motor?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

how to size an elect trolling motor?

Post by fisher »

if any of you guys/gals with experience could tell me how you can size an elect trolling motor for a boat.ie size of boat in footage or weight,what size would be good for a 16ft alumn aprox 1500lb in moderately windy and in a river with fair amount of current and/or wind?
thank you in advance.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I was told to use a 45 on my Prince craft 16ft. For the 50 extra bucks I upped it to a 55. Works great even in the wind, personally I wouldn’t use anything lighter.
DonD
Participant
Participant

Post by DonD »

You can go with 3 different sizes 12volt, 24 volt or 36 volt, which are 1 battery, (12 volt) 2 batteries (24 volt) or 3 batteries (36 volt ) respectively.
Now this is just my thoughts, but boat size from 14-16ft...12 volt, up to 48 lb thrust
16 -19 ft ...24 volt, up to 78 lb thrust, and 19ft and up, 36 volt, which can go up to 107 lb thrust.
I have a 72 lb thrust motor guide on a 18 ft aluminum, and it works great in wind and current.
Now these are approximate thrust sizes, but usually the general rule of thumb.
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

trolling motor

Post by boogie »

Fisher, make sure to measure for the proper shaft lenght. Measure from the top of the bow to the water level and take into consideration the waves. Always better to have longer and more power than to be stuck without.

Boogie
Boogie
Poisson On !
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

So I guess a 55lb thrust(max avaiable on 12 volts)50"shaft should do the trick for me.the only question remains now is what make&model is better then other?
Hmmmmm!!!!!!! more @#%&*research to do,and the season is upon us.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

fisher

Post by Cancatchbass »

If you have to / want to stick with a 12 volt system, I'd recommend the Maxxum 55. The Maxxum line is all but cornering the market on bow mounts- and for good reason.

CCB