Clamp On Downrigger?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
devy
Participant
Participant

Clamp On Downrigger?

Post by devy »

I have a 14 footer Springbok and looking into purchasing a downrigger to use on occasions (ie trout fishing in the Rideau, BoQ etc) My experience with them is limited (just on charters). How rate the clampon models? Are they secure enough sitting on the gunwales? or should I purchase a full mount one? (How and where would I fasten it down.? Also what are some suggestions for a downrigger reel and rod that is inexpensive but effective? (ie are the Crappy Tire ones good enough?)
Thanks !! :lol:
devy
Participant
Participant

Length of wire

Post by devy »

oh ya...some models indicate 100 feet of downrigger wire? Is that really enough (I know that the wire must bow somewhat)
Thanks again!! 8)
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I had to go a low as 160 feet on the Big Rideau, During the month of August.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Clamp on downrigger

Post by Tomcat »

Devy:

Most of my fishing is done at outfitter locations and most of the time we use the boats and motors provided by the outfitter. Consequently, I needed a compact portable downrigger. I opted to buy the Scotty 1050 Depthmaster. I also purchased the 1021 clamp mount (with which I'm very happy) - see
http://www.scotty.com/downrigger_mounts.htm

I found through experience that placing small pieces of 3/8" plywood (say 4" wide X 6" long) on either side of the gunnel before tightening the clamp provided all the support required. I routinely use a 7 lb weight and have fished for lakers as deep as 120 feet.

For some information on recommended ball weights and the impact of depth and speed on wire angle and actual depth, see http://www.scotty.com/downrigger_weights.htm
devy
Participant
Participant

Thanks !

Post by devy »

Again, members on this board have helped!. I really appreciate it!:)
:D
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

downriggers

Post by JimW »

Devy,

When my family use to go up to fishing lodges in Quebec and rent boats we purchased a Big John downrigger to use for lake trout. The one place we stayed they let us drill 4 holes in the plate where the gunnel and the transom meet and we mounted the downrigger there with a 4" mounting plate, worked great.

The other lodge boats were different so we used a clamp mount with wood blocks on the gunnel and it worked great. So I'd say either way would work great. I prefered it bolted to the back corner plate.

As already said the Scotty 1050 looks like a great unit for the price.

Best of luck.

JimW
Georges
Participant
Participant

Post by Georges »

I have two big john riggers on my boat but had a problem when going in small lakes so now i use my riggers on my 14 foot too what i did was welded a 4x4 plate on top of a vise clamp secure a piece of rubber to clamp as not to scratch boat now i could use riggers on both boats just make sure if you do this to weld plate on a angle to match side of boat if not riggers will be pointing down towards water.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

A friend of mine has a clamp on; not sturdy enough to be quiet.

He also has a larger downrigger, neatly secured to a 14 foot aluminum. Take a 2X4 that is as long as the boats width and bolt it into the oar locks. Mount your downrigger on the 2X4. He keeps the 2X4 there all the time but you could use wing nuts and such to make it removable.

Cheers,

Scott
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Georges wrote:I have two big john riggers on my boat but had a problem when going in small lakes so now i use my riggers on my 14 foot too what i did was welded a 4x4 plate on top of a vise clamp secure a piece of rubber to clamp as not to scratch boat now i could use riggers on both boats just make sure if you do this to weld plate on a angle to match side of boat if not riggers will be pointing down towards water.
Hey a fellow West Buckham's Bayer!! Welcome aboard Georges :!: