Coming soon - The boat launch follies....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Coming soon - The boat launch follies....

Post by saskie »

It was not a good night. I decided to take my new toy down to Buchams boat launch on Constance Bay to practice launching/recovering and make sure it ran fine.

After what I'm sure was a very amusing display of seamanship getting the boat in the water, we discovered that it leaks - quite badly in fact.

After some more dazzling seamanship and some touching moments of marital harmony and teamwork Saskette and I realized that getting the boat in the water was the easy part, getting it out (and centred on the trailer) was somewhat more challenging. I also very quickly realized that backing a boat and trailer (which went reasonably well, if I do say so myself) is considerably easier than backing an empty trailer down a hill.

I'm sure the good folks who live near the boat launch enjoyed this quality performance - lol.

Anyway getting back to that leak: we found the source - it wasn't hard once the boat was off the trailer and flipped upside down - as it had previously been patched with some hard white compund that had cracked. Does anyone have any ideas about what the best way would be to fix this would be?
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Is your boat fiberglass or aluminium?
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I best tip I can give you is, don’t back the trailer in too far. Every trailer has it’s sweet spot, ( The depth it needs to be in the water) and once you find yours, things will be much easier.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Saskie

I fixed my aluminum boat 3 years ago with aluminum epoxy. It comes in a tube in the shape of a cigar, the centre is one part and the outside an other part. You tear a piece and nead it. Apply the play dough like substance on both sides for best result. My boat had a few badly ovaled rivets and water was coming in pretty good. It is now perfectly dry. An aluminum boat flexes a lot on the water and that stuff flexes with it. It's been 3 years and so far so good. The stuff is available at most marinas and at C-T.

As for getting the boat back on the trailer, I agree with Xenos. When I first got my boat, I made the common mistake of backing the trailer too far in the water. That allows the rear end of your boat to swing side to side. You should leave almost half the length of your bunks out of the water so they guide your boat straight on the trailer. As Xenos points out, it seems every boat/trailer combination has it s sweet spot. I leave 1/2 of the bunks out of the water and drive my boat on as opposed to trying to pull it on with a rope. With practice, you'll be able to do it by yourself and keep your feet dry.

Good luck :wink:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Practice does make perfect but let's face it.. we all can put the boat on and off loads of times but as soon as you get one or two spectators everything goes wrong. :lol:

Backing up an empty trailer is tricky firstly as there's no weight and secondly they can be hard to see until it's too late and you have it sideways... take it slow and make sure it's going where it should... if you have help to load and unload then it can be much easier.. but get into a routine and practice. Most of us now can load and unload within a few minutes.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Coming soon - The boat launch follies....

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

saskie wrote:It was not a good night. I decided to take my new toy down to Buchams boat launch on Constance Bay to practice launching/recovering and make sure it ran fine.
Saskie, Did you try for crappie :?:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I know all too well the woes of a leaky boat. I give you the Minnow1. As I say, nothing brings friends closer than bailing together. :( I used that aluminum epoxy for the bigger holes and the questionable rivets. I then covered the whole bottom with fiberglass resin. Not sure it help much, but certainly slowed the leaking. I also installed a much needed bilge pump. :lol:

As for trailer woes, I know them all to well too. The reason I did not sell the trailer when I sold the Minnow2 was because the trailer was not made for it. It is the trailer that came with the Minnow1 (14') and was lousy for hauling, launching, and landing. Had I not purchase a new boat and trailer last fall, I would have (at the very minimum) purchased a new trailer.

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

WIG - Never even wet a line. Discovered the leak as soon as I made it back down from parking the truck, and started the uhhhh - interesting - process of hauling it out of the water.

I applied some of that epoxy stuff this evening, hopefully that will solve the problem.
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

If that don't work for you give me a shout I have some great 3M product we bond new panels on cars with that will hold her together :)
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

saskie wrote:WIG - Never even wet a line. Discovered the leak as soon as I made it back down from parking the truck, and started the uhhhh - interesting - process of hauling it out of the water.

I applied some of that epoxy stuff this evening, hopefully that will solve the problem.
I don't think you're missing much. water's looked too high still at the cottage the other day :!:

When I get back from Quebec, I'll be heading out to give 'er a go :!:

Let us know if you do make it out and have any luck :!: