Rideau River @ Manotick Report (lampreys) with random pics

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Rideau River @ Manotick Report (lampreys) with random pics

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Today I got a drive down to one of my fishing holes in Manotick and made off okay I guess.

When I got there it was crowded, but eventually the fishermen took off because they weren't catching anything.

Luckily, I managed to Catch a handful of nice smallmouth bass from 1-3lbs, I also got about 15 tiny bites likely from panfish or little baby bass.

The weather was beautiful and the river was totally gorgeous, the fish were feeding right in the pools on the sides and below some of the rapids.....It was very relaxing....

As the sun set, I was reeling in my huge Garlic and Salt impregnated senko type worm (bought at Manotick Bait ;) ) and within 20 seconds my line took off and I was in a fight with a very athletic fish.

The fight was over quickly even though I was on ultralight equipment and the rod was bent over almost broke.

As I reeled in this monster, I couldn't make out what it was...All I saw was it's back sticking out of the water with it's back fin raised up
The water was shallow and I reeled him in, and got splashed in the face with a 9 foot jet of water shot out from his slapping tail.....

I thought maybe it was a carp because I see carp with exposed fins and back all the time but this was no carp.

IT was practically dark now and I made out that this was a MUSKIE approximately 3 or 3.5 ft long. I didn't want to measure, and just wanted to release the beast before I got sprayed again.

Muskie was quickly back on his way into the River to fight again.

All in all it was a nice night. I was there from 7:15pm-9:00pm..........

Of COURSE, whenever I catch a nice fish, I don't have my camera. I lent mine to my younger sister this weekend so she could use it at the Warped Tour in Montreal......

I noticed that the Muskie had lamprey bites all over it too.......I've never seen this in fish in a big stretch of rapids in the Rideau river that extends for quite a bit........Maybe this is more common than I know....Luckily there didn't appear to be any lampreys on the Muskie anymore so that was good...

I'm gonna throw in some pictures from other times of tiny fish just for fun and to give people SOMETHING to look at since text is so boring.....Hope I haven't posted these before..If I have tell me and i'll take them down.

WHAT TYPE OF SUNFISH IS THIS? I would love to know......I believe it's Pumpkinseed and I don't believe I've ever caught a Bluegill.....

Lac Grenouille, I call this Frog lake because the only thing alive in it was Frogs and Tadpoles......we didn't mark one single fish while on this lake for 2 hours.....We managed to pick one of the 2 lakes in the Area without any fish in it.....lol.....But it still was fun........my father is in the picture this is our porta boat with the 9.9 it goes like hell! Literally 100 huge tadpoles for every square meter. I even caught a Frog during our trip on the lake! Thats how filled with amphibians it was

Next is the "La Peche River" I think? Anyways, it's the one in Wakefield....Just a driveby pic, not very good. Not sure about the fishing in this one....it's probably okay in another spot.

A MONSTER FISH!

One of my favorite little brookie creeks, even though it produces fish that are Sardine sized...

And Last I really like this picture, even though the smallmouth was not even 1 lb, I just like the picture for some reason? Not sure why....Taken in Manotick....

Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

GREAT report DUDE!!

good to know that you feeling good and back FISHING!

nice pictures too!

keep those report's commin !!!
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Thanks, Fishing is good for the soul :)

Maybe someday Ill catch the big ones and catch up to you haha :)

:P

Take Care,

==Tom==
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

hey those lake's you fish seem verry nice and healthy dude!

if there's bass in there you should try fishing ''GULP''

im sure you get bigger fish! 8)

just a small tip for ya! :wink:
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Cool report. 8) Those look like some nice spots. :)
weekend warrior
Participant
Participant

Post by weekend warrior »

Great report. Glad you were able to get out :D
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Thanks, I had alot of fun......fishing alone is not as much fun as fishing with someone else though........

none of my friends like fishing.....I can't understand why they don't like it. They are all from rural areas too, and I just don't see why they never grew up enjoying it.......

If they would just give it a shot i'm sure they would have a hell of a time but they are too lazy and negative about it.....they prefer to sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking.

Maybe they should do that and fishing and it would be mind blowing! haha

I don't know what the hell i'm going to do in the winter once I can't fish anymore....

my dad doesn't ice fish and isn't open to it. I don't know how he can just stop fishing like that.........I can't go half a year without fishing....

ahh people what can u do?

Take Care Everyone!

==Tom==
Anton88
Participant
Participant

Re: Rideau River @ Manotick Report (lampreys) with random pi

Post by Anton88 »

Yeah. that's about all you catch on the Rideau at Manotick ..
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

that looked like an awesome day! The weather and surroundings looked amazing.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy a nice day catching fish.

Great report
Rico24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico24 »

Hey! Your feeling better now? Good stuff! Fun to see you out fishing, and not well, stuck inside just reading reports...
Best of luck on your fishing

Rico