Casselman & Nation River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Big_D
Participant
Participant

Casselman & Nation River

Post by Big_D »

Fairly new to the fishing around the Ottawa Area. I tried the launch at Casselman, and found it really good. The real question is, are there any real fish in the Nation River?
I saw some small hits on top of the water; but they were fairly small fish.
Are there anyone fishing around there.
When it came to the fork in the river... I went right... was that a mistake?
Must say though... really a pretty area.

Big_D
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Where the Castor dumps into the Nation is usually a good spot for walleyes. Or right across from it there is a small bridge right in front of it. but if you keep on going straight on the Nation you can try at the mouth of all the small creeks.
Anton88
Participant
Participant

Re: Casselman & Nation River

Post by Anton88 »

Big_D wrote:Fairly new to the fishing around the Ottawa Area. I tried the launch at Casselman, and found it really good. The real question is, are there any real fish in the Nation River?
I saw some small hits on top of the water; but they were fairly small fish.
Are there anyone fishing around there.
When it came to the fork in the river... I went right... was that a mistake?
Must say though... really a pretty area.

Big_D
I was fishing the south nation for the last two weekends. Alot of Catfish, Carp are everywhere and "Freshwater drum". (I cought a large one with hook and worm last year)
Those are the main fish in this river. There are others of course.
I would not advise eating anything out of there, because all the farmland around it drains into it. It looks and smells like farm too. Don't eat anything out of that river
ottis
Participant
Participant

Post by ottis »

There are a variety of fish species in the nation, over 50 I believe. If you try down by Jessup's Falls area you can get Muskie or Gar. I was out at the mouth on Sunday, caught an 8+ muskie and my buddy got a 6+ lb waldo, we also nabbed some perch and crappie amongst others. There are waldo's in the nation up until the Spencerville dam, I hear there is another good spot west of the Russell dam as well for them. There are also bronzebacks and cats most of the river. Here is a link to a guide that includes the fish species and boat launches along the river.

http://www.nation.on.ca/Fishing%20Guide.pdf

SNC also has the fish tested when sampling and they are safe for consumption. Read the fish consumption guide for details. May might be a poor time for eating fish in the river though......because of the high nutrient loads and such. :?
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Fish in the Nation? Lets see..I've caught walleye, sauger, pike, eel, drum, perch, smallies, carp, cats, and bullhead. Last November my buddy caught a one eyed muskie there too.
I'll be there this weekend for those pale carp!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Fish in the Nation? Lets see..I've caught walleye, sauger, pike, eel, drum, perch, smallies, carp, cats, and bullhead. Last November my buddy caught a one eyed muskie there too.
I'll be there this weekend for those pale carp!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Hi bud on the Nation near Casselman theres some nice walleyes I se a guy 5 years ago ho caught a 9 lbs eyes on the ice, theres some nice pike also, some smallies, lots of catfish, bullheads, carpe, sheepsheads, some pretty good muskies, some black crappy, some jumbo perch. As for the spot from Casselman to all the way to Crysler theres some good spots everywhere along the creek mouth and the cross of the Castor usually a good walleye spot or the Crysler dam lots of walleyes, bass, carp and bullheads. You could go also above the Crysler dam all the way to Chesterville. But on that stretch of the Nation I cant help you mutch as I dont fish it to often except in spring for bullheads and theres some good bullheads spot that way outside of Crysler and past Berwick.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i did not fish the nation this year.

butyes there some nice waleye in there. and nice size pikes and huge carp down the dam in caselmans and musky down the dams to.

yes that waleye was caught uin that ice fishing derby just beside that little creek tha come frome the farm pond under that tiny bridge.

the nation river is dirty water.

i do think the points and that section where the 2 river join is good..but morning or just before dark.

try that place just before ice..in november... 8)

there sher is a lot off species in there frome walleye to eel..caught a 4 foot one right there at the point.

great little river.

joco
big_al_395
Participant
Participant

Post by big_al_395 »

Gents, im looking for a good spot to park amd ice fish on the nation. Dont know the area too well, so simple is best lol

Thnks!!!
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

Gents, im looking for a good spot to park amd ice fish on the nation. Dont know the area too well, so simple is best lol
Try driving down Montee Lafontaine Rd. Its on the north side of Casselmen, on the right hand side if you're coming from Embrun. You can park under the 417 overpass which is only 30 ft from the water.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
big_al_395
Participant
Participant

Post by big_al_395 »

avidangler wrote:
Try driving down Montee Lafontaine Rd. Its on the north side of Casselmen, on the right hand side if you're coming from Embrun. You can park under the 417 overpass which is only 30 ft from the water.
Thanks avidangler - I'll try that spot out in the spring. Cant wait to get out there now. This winter is draggin' on way too long!!
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

avidangler wrote:

Thanks avidangler - I'll try that spot out in the spring. Cant wait to get out there now. This winter is draggin' on way too long!!
No problem. For the record if you're looking for good spots with all the species stated in this thread go below the dam in Casselmen. I've never caught a musky or sheepshead above it and seriously doubt that they could make it up without help.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

That stretch of the river sounds prime for spring carp fishing.
I can hardly wait to get my tripod out !!
big_al_395
Participant
Participant

Post by big_al_395 »

Hello all,

I'm moving to Russel in less than a month, and want to know how deep Castor and the Nation are. Will I have any problems with a 17 foot bass tracker? Where's the best spot to launch?

Thanks for any help I can get!!
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

There are a few launch's. One in Embrun. One in Casselmen right by the dam and a steep one in Limoge. The widest and deepest you will find is in Casselmen where the Nation and Castor meet, your boat would be fine there. I think the deepest Ive seen there was in the 20' range. Could you launch your boat at all of these places, yes. But in my opinion its a bit large for the limoge and Embrun launches/waterway. For instance at the limoge launch the river is probably 40-50' across. I prefer the 14' tinny with a 15 or smaller motor. Be mindful of dead heads the water is murky and they're just about everywhere.