Charleston Lake Smallmouth Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Charleston Lake Smallmouth Report

Post by jcorrigan »

All I have to say is WOW!

Smallmouth were hitting like it was their last meal this past weekend! Saturday (yes, during that storm) me and a buddy were out in the rain. Soaked to the skin but couldn't pass up the smallmouth action. For about 30 min I didn't even get to fish as he would bring one to the boat...I'd net it then put it on the stringer. Just as I would go to cast he'd be asking for the net again! Unbelievable!!

We were joking about the heavy heavy rain ("Not too humid eh? Just damp!", "Not very buggy out") and commenting on the fine line between bravery and stupidity when suddenly a HUGE clap of thunder sounded right overhead. "We've just crossed the line", I yelled and it was lines in and back to Twist Outlet. So cold I was shaking...

Went back on Sunday to see if (pardon the pun) lightning does strike twice and lo and behold IT DOES! Same spot..same action!!! Brought in a couple nice 3-4 pound smallies and lost a couple more! What a blast!!

Even had a visit from the Game Wardens...I must admit FIRST time I'd even run across one. They checked the usual things (license, catch, safety gear) and were on their way again. Good guys...nice boat...

Might have to hit the same spot if I can find a close place to launch the tube...I wonder if I need safety gear in that?? Anybody know?

Pic to come as soon as I figure out where to put it...
JRSuprstar
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JRSuprstar »

Can't wait to see the pics...
wnejman24
Participant
Participant

Charleston Lake

Post by wnejman24 »

I'm headed up to Charleston Lake for week of fishing at the end of August. I'm from Philadelphia but once a year we make the trek north. Any advice for the smallmouths? How deep were they holding? Thanks for any information.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Bass on a stringer.. Awesome !
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

John wrote:Bass on a stringer.. Awesome !
:lol:

They're just bass.... do different then any other fish. If anything, more plentiful then walleye, and just as tasty......

While there is nothing wrong with it at all jcorrigan, I wouldn't post a stringer picture of bass on this board. Unfortunately you'll get nailed to the wall here.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

same here.

I do eat bass....and trout and just about 99% off fish species.

bass is very good tast great.

i dont keep them frome all water..i dont keep any frome ottawa river .

but keep some frome local lakes and not so local..keep a couple lunch. a year.

but dont have to be the big ones..small ones are better to eat..least bad stuff in it like mercury and all. and pro bass fisherman will care a bit least if you keep small ones insted off those 4 pound plus.. :lol:

mabe not keep some frome were there is bass tourment..at least no shore lunch off bass at weight in places.. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joco :lol:
basser
Participant
Participant

Post by basser »

Nothing wrong with keeping a stringer of bass for the table , there's no shortage of them they even become a bit of a nusiance when fishing other species.
Paddler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paddler »

Yeah, selective harvest is the key.

Plus the "quality control" over fish you catch is much better than those from the store.
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Post by jcorrigan »

wnejman24...they weren't all that deep actually...20-25ft at the most! We were between the mainland and one of the islands and the odd thing on Sunday was when the boats went through..THAT'S when they hit!

Maybe the motors stirred 'em up. Hitting on rubber worms......

Not sure what the deal is here with frowning on the stringer thing...where I grew up if they're on the stringer they're headed for the frying pan (after a coating of flour salt n pepper of course)

HEY..the pic's DID upload to the gallery...

http://www.fish-hawk.net/photogallery/d ... =349&pos=0
wnejman24
Participant
Participant

Post by wnejman24 »

Thanks for the info jcorrigan. I fished Charleston once before, last July, and we did pretty good, but not great. I'm not used to fishing very deep, we normally fish water less than 15 feet deep down here in Pennsylvania. I think this year we can do a little better by moving off the shore a little further and targeting some deeper structure. Plus this year we are going to Charleston a little later in the year, in early September, so hopefully the smallmouth will be more active.

Pictures look great, nice catch. The one on the right looks like a real hog!

Personally I do not eat much fish - catch and release only, but if you enjoy them, get them home however. A few years ago I did try some walleye we caught while on a trip to the Ottawa River, and I must say I now completely understand what all the buzz is about - they are delicious. Too bad there are no walleye in Charleston.
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Post by jcorrigan »

I've not seen any walleye there...but 'down the road' as it were here in Gananoque there is! Right on the St. Lawrence!

It's about a 20-30 minute drive from Charleston. If you see a guy in a green tube wave hey..that'll probably be me!
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

ill eat bass just not out of the ottawa :lol: