Port Hope for Salmon

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Esox_Lucius
Participant
Participant

Port Hope for Salmon

Post by Esox_Lucius »

Hi folks,

I've been asked to go to the Port Hope area by my brother in-law and his two young sons (9 & 11) this coming weekend to try for some salmon.
However, this is something neither of us has any experience with.
Does anybody have any advice?
We'll be fishing from shore (I'm not sure where).
I've got oodles of gear for anything from panfish to Musky but I don't know if that will cover what I need.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

I'd suggest going next summer when they are healthy and their flesh isn't decaying on them. Uness you like rotting fish that can be caught in 6 inches of water with a cigerette butt.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Esox,

You'd be looking at +20lb salmon. Most guys will be fishing with 9' rods or longer. If the run is actually on I would strongly recommend that you fish during the week rather than a weekend as it's pretty much a zoo on the weekends.

Oh, and contrary to Taylor's comment, there is no salmon run in the summer.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Oh but there must be as HE says there is!

:roll: :lol:
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

I keep forgeting you guys don't have boats. There are tons of salmon off of Port Hope in the Summer, less than a mile out.

If your reduced to chasing dying rotten salmon in the river, the above information is a start.

Fella's, if you don't know what your talking about, please stick to the hotdog eating get togehter threads. Thanks.
Image Image Image
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

And using a cigarette butt is knowing what your talking about?

I fish Port Hope. The fish have been out between 8 miles and 11 miles. Sometimes further based on water temps.

Within 1 mile you MAY get the odd lunker and it does happen, but the schools are out a little further.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Port Hope

Post by Super »

I have not been for 2 years but the "circus" is probably going to be more than half the fun for the kids.
9 foot rod for sure but a lite rod with 6 lb test (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Most people use roe under bobbers.
You will be fishing down where the river goes into Lake Ontario.
You will not be able to miss it.
Every one has a line in the water and when you hear "FISH ON" reel in your line fast as the fish are extremely fast and take off down the river with the fisherman chasing him along the bank.
It was great fun.
I did not even bring a net and when I hooked a salmon, some guy asked where my net was and when I replied I was hoping someone would help me. He asked if he could.
Everyone wants to try to net a 20 pounder.
Super.
Esox_Lucius
Participant
Participant

Re:Port Hope for Salmon

Post by Esox_Lucius »

I thank you one and all for the information you've volunteered, I'm sure it will be helpful.
As to that 9 foot rod (or longer); where in Ottawa can a guy purchase such a beast?
I won't need the reel as I have enough of them for everybody and their uncle Bob and spooled with anything from 4lb test mono to 80lb braid so that's covered.
How about pre-made roe bags; can they be bought somewhere in Ottawa or am I blaspheming and they must be hand made by onself? :)

Thank you

P.S.: Taylor I appreciate your candor but if I try and visualize you I see Eric petersen.
(Eric petersen plays brent Butts father on Corner Gas). :)
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

Essox, don't over think it and don't get caught in the hype. You don't need roe. Use a colored peice of sponge, or even a chewed up peice of bubblegum. It's not tough. But remember, they only count if they are snagged in the mouth, not the back.
Image Image Image
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

The only 'sound' advice I can give is......DON'T DO IT!!

If Port Hope Salmon fishing is something that you really want to 'experience', then so be it.

I'd be more inclined to gather my brother in-law, the two 'young' lads and head up to Rice Lake. It's not far at all from Port Hope. You could rent a boat in Bewdley for alot less then the cost of a noodle rod. Time would be much better spent fishing as opposed to going into combat.

That's my 2 cents.

Grant.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Port Hope Fishing

Post by Super »

If you are going to have to buy the 9 foot rods for all 4 of you I would suggest just using some of the 7 foot rods that you have around.
I used to use a 7 foot lightening rod that was a little on the light side and it worked well enough but I did lose the odd fish.
And yes, fake roe does work too if the fish are in the mood, but thats fishing, you will just have to find out what works that day.
Good luck and have fun.
Super
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

I totally love fishing at port hope... only get to do it once or twice per year so perhaps not sick of it yet... but where else can you drive up as a side trip on the drive to or from toronto and drop a line and have some fun. yes there are crowds (sometimes) but some nice fish seen and landed. and if you like to chat with fishermen, some of that too although i've been ignored too. c'est la vie.

Using 7 ft rods can be ok, make sure your drag works... and you may have to hold em up high to keep the line off the water for the drift. Note that lures also work, even jigs and twisters but hard to cast if crowded to drifting is the ticket then. ... try stuff ... I once watched a guy from montreal pick off some rainbows in the river with a tube and baitcaster. (all mouth hooked)... bright chartreuse tube too while i drifted roe... :(

worth a try if your in the area and if there are fish moving through and the water is right, you get to see large fish in shallow water - should be exciting for the kids.
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

Jamsers wrote:
I fish Port Hope. The fish have been out between 8 miles and 11 miles. Sometimes further based on water temps.

Within 1 mile you MAY get the odd lunker and it does happen, but the schools are out a little further.
You fish port hope? You fished it once - with a charter. :lol: And after he couldn't catch any salmon for you, you went deeper for rainbows.

Thanks for the "tips" though.
Image Image Image
Rybren
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rybren »

If the crowds and space permits, you can try tossing little Cleos or Williams Wablers. I've even hooked a few on Rapalas.

The easiest way to fish them is to grab a bunch of different coloured sponges at the Dollar Store and cut them up into dime or smaller sized pieces. Stick em on a hook with a split-shot or two 2-4 feet up the line. Let them bounce along the bottom. Try switching out the colours if one doesn't work. Orange, red, yellow, chartruse will all produce at different times. If you prefer, you can also purchase egg-pattern flies and egg sucking leeches at the fly shops. A 7' rod will work, just not as well. I like to use 8-10lb test.

Yeah, the river fish aren't as nice looking as the ones out in the lake, but they're still fun to catch. If the run is on, the kids will have a blast watching everyone fighting a big fish - and hopefully, they'll get to experience that thrill for themselves.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

The Port Hope and area Salmon run is okay... the Salmon are in pretty poor shape.

My opinion is that a 9-10 footer rod is great but not absolutely necessary. I've used 7 footers and buddies have done the same, no problems at all. Not that crucial.

Seems like the standard rig is 8 pound test line with a float and roe sac (real or not - both work well).

My experience is that in town, (P. Hope) its always busy/packed/annoying... better to head up-stream or check other streams in the area (there's a few). Silven Glen is a good spot to start. Theres's a path on the parking lot side to follow.

Weekends are usually very packed at all areas.

I was there for the trout run in the spring... great time... hope to be back next year.