Greedy tournament anglers!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Greedy tournament anglers!

Post by Jimmy_1 »

On Saturday I had to take my dad's old boat out of the water.
The plan was to drive it to John's Marina.

Well the motor over-heated and caught fire. So I was stalled in the middle of the lake, half-way to the marina and the wind was too powerful to row the boat.

Well a bass boat was 50 yrds from me, pitching into a weed flat.
I pulled out my whistle and called for help.

They ignored repeated attempts for me to signal them. They were looking right at me!

Now if you can't tell that a guy waving his arms and blowing a whistle needs help you are a complete bunch of morons.

It is a federal offence to ignore a boat in distress.

The kind sea-doer's who towed me in were kind enough to go close enough to you for me to get your boat #.

Now an apology would be nice, or a simple sorry.
If your to greedy to get your $500 and take 3 mins out of your day to help someone in serious need. Then you have issues.

I am very tempted to give your boat# to the OPP. And trust me I took it down!
I also have 3 witnesses. You have no leg to stand on.

My point is, you are not Izumi's and this is a fun tourney. If you see someone in need, then stop to help them. Not only is it the right thing to do it is the law.

Sorry for the rant folks but I am still really pee pee by this.

J
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

A picture is worth a 1,000 words.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Thats Brutal Jamsers!!!! I would report the greedy buggers myself. Look back to the Olympics a few years ago when the canadians gave up their gold in sailing (more prestigious than a local tournament, no offense) to save another boat in distress!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Wallyboss wrote:A picture is worth a 1,000 words.
Wasn't fishing myself only trying to get the boat out as my Dad had to leave for Seattle the next day to help move my brother from Washington to NYC. They are driving 18 hr days!

So no camera. Trust me I wish I had it. I'd have posted a pic here!
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Jamsers I agree that is brutal.
Maybe karma will take care of it, hopefully they didn't win anything anyway.
Maybe if they had given up that hour to help you they'd have lucked in to a 6lber in the next hour for the bonus money.
Just serves to remind me that there are all sorts out there on the water (as well as on the roads), only thing I can control is how I behave in that situation.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

report it.

PLEASE!
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

One of theese days it will come back to them... winning bag in the boat and a no start... and nobody pulls them off the water... haha.... sorry to hear it happened to u James.... it was rude of them... i would've helped ya if i was out there.... when u wanna get out for some Skies? the gf hasn't stoped talkin about muskie fishing since she caught one on Rapala Pro Bassing for the computer... lol...

JaY
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Since it's a blatant disregard for the law I aggree that they should be reported as well.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I am not defending the inaction by any means Jamsers....

but I don't think the law reads as a broken down boat being a distress call.....had you been sinking then yes....the law comes into place....

I still think it is 100% jackasses not to give you a hand.....I'd bet 99% of tournament guys would have....I know we would have....

Describe the boat...colour...make...it won't take long to figure out who it was....

RJ
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

Go ahead and report them. Unfortunately I doubt if they will get anything other a warning...if they even get that much.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks guys....

I agree with you RJ, but to me floating in the wind with a smoking engine and drifting toward CP was not fun....

I agree they probably would get a warning only.

If anyone wants a description of the 2 guys or boat color I'll do that in a PM.

J
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

forget the PM.

contact the tourney organizers and report them.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I agree Jamsers...

Going towards Carleton Place isn't fun at the best of times... :lol:

Maybe you should discuss this with Crystal...after all it was her event....maybe she'll give them the boot....

I can guarantee you if Renegade got wind of a competitor doing that it would have been addressed...
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks bro,

I was so mad that they just kept casually pitching while I am blowing a whistle till I am red in the face!

They even had the nerve to look at me as I am being towed in! Even then no sign of apology like "sorry dude! We weren't sure!"

I hope they have this hapen to them! I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around. These guys have signed their own "karma" warrant. Something like this will happen to them 10 fold. I have yet to see where it hasn't.

J
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Here's the quote from the Boating Regulations:
Standard Marine Distress Signals
If you see a distress signal, you are required by law to determine whether you can assist those in distress without endangering your own life or safety of your vessel. Where possible, you must also contact the nearest Rescue Coordination Center to inform them of the type and location of the distress signal you have seen.
Even though you weren't sinking, they were clearly obligated to at least check on your situation. Who knows, the next time it could be a heart attach and a stalled engine, etc.