Improvement Ideas for Zone 18 Fisheries

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Improvement Ideas for Zone 18 Fisheries

Post by Bobber »

Hello everyone,

As anglers, we have a vested interest in preserving our fisheries and making sure that rules put in place by the Ministry of Natureal Resources are decided upon by being privy to information from stakeholders, so that they can make those decisions through the culmination of due diligence.

I'd like to start a topic to find out "what your opinions and ideas are", as it pertains to Zone 18 fishing regulations, and the concerns that we all as anglers may have.

The intent is not to solve any issues brought forth, nor to start a debate on what people's opinions may be, but to simply gather some thoughts and ideas regarding Zone 18 (since many of us here in Eastern Ontario fish that zone)

These thoughts could be on any topics related to things like....
> Catch and Possession Limits
> Open and closed Seasons
> Invading Species
> Slot Sizes
> Use of Live Bait
> Shoreline and Habitat protection
> Ecological, Economic, or Social and Cultural benefits
> etc

I'm looking to tap into the brains of everyone who fishes our waters in Zone 18 and get some ideas and opinions on the areas that we all think need improvements or can be changed for the better in order to protect our zone's fisheries and help conserve them well into the future.

What are your thoughts?

Zone 18
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Personally my feeling is that the MNR (and province) do not fully appreciate the potential revenue that sportfishing generates when it is managed appropriately. A recent article estimates that in Florida alone, the value for each bonefish is approximately $75,000.

In addition to increased enforement and stocking, Ontario should follow BC's lead in the designation of Heritage/Trophy lakes and rivers. Bodies of water that are designated as such would have at a minimum the following restrictions:
  • Catch and Release only (No Kill)
  • Artificial Lures only (with barbless hooks).
  • Ice Fishing ban
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Even if I were not a C&R angler, I would not be opposed to slot limits, although I would have to say that some of the slot limits that came out in the latest regulations were perplexing to say the least. If it is the MNR's intention to allow anglers to keep fish for consumption, then the slot limits should be balanced between what is good for the fishery and the sizes that are considered to be safe, based on the "Safe Eating Guide".

It doesn't make much sense to set the limit so high as to only allow trophy fish to be kept. Given what taxidermists can do with a photo an measurements, I think most people would release a trophy fish rather than keep it.
valley_boy
Participant
Participant

Post by valley_boy »

I enjoy fish for the table every now and then but I also beleive the slot sizes could go a little farther. I would also like to see some regulations on the amount of fish kept for consumption. The fact that you can keep 30 Crappie a day seems crazy. It would be nice if the regulations could be a liitle more water body specific, but I also understand the difficulties in that. Other than that, more CO's would be nice!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

There are many things that concern me, but I would think that a basic and important place to start is with regards to guarding habitat.

PWC and any boats that create excessive wakes should be looked hard at. Never mind the pollution (Witch is extremely important) but the wave action has a devastating affect on shore lines. This directly effects fish breeding grounds and ruins surrounding wetlands that filter the incoming water being introduced into our various lakes and rivers.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the impact of dams. We cant rip them down... but there MUST be a way that ecologists can work with the Dam operators to give them strict guidelines about how much they can and can's raise or lower water levels and at what rate.

And, the obvious; Sewage, runoff, dumping... water quality. There needs to be strict enforcement and serious penalties for offenders. The big corporations are an easy target... but one of the harder targets are the cities and counties that irresponsibly allow run off to drain into local creeks and steams. Land owners who have garbage dumped on their land adjacent to water ways. These all need to be addressed.

Fish stocking techniques are also bizarre and uncoordinated. The famous salmon restocking being done in a lake instead of the head waters where they expect them to eventually spawn.... If local lake associations want to restock or shore up fish stocks... why not have this coordinated by the MNR who have the studies and ecologists that SHOULD know how to do so effectively?

Just my 2¢
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Wow! This is quite an undertaking Rob! Not an ice-fisherman are ya?

I would like to see the time between bass season be re-classified as C&R fishing only.

I like the no min length size limit for bass. I do feel that there should be an upper slot to protect MONSTER BASS.

I do feel daily creel limits and possession limits should be redefined. Daily creel limits should be more reflective of a meal of fish for an average family. Who needs 30 crappie or 50 perch a day to feed their family? Possession limits should be reconsidered for tourists staying at lodges and camps. We can not afford to chase tourists away. Regardless if daily possessions limits are adjusted to reflect a common sense approach to enough fish for consumption by an average family, tourists should be allowed to take more fish home. As an example, 4 walleye at present could become 6 or 8.

I'd like to see all lake trout waters open for ice fishing. I'd like to see a lake trout stamp, and with the issuance of that stamp aprox.12-24 zip-lock lake trout tags. When the tags are gone, you are done laker fishing for the year.

I'd like to see shore bound anglers have the option of using at least 2 rods. This area has some world class carp fishing and we are losing tourist dollars to New York state in this area because of the number of rods a shore-bound angler can use.

DropShot'r
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

DropShot'r wrote:I would like to see the time between bass season be re-classified as C&R fishing only.

I like the no min length size limit for bass. I do feel that there should be an upper slot to protect MONSTER BASS.
I fully agree on both of these points.

DropShot'r wrote: I do feel daily creel limits and possession limits should be redefined. Daily creel limits should be more reflective of a meal of fish for an average family. Who needs 30 crappie or 50 perch a day to feed their family? Possession limits should be reconsidered for tourists staying at lodges and camps. We can not afford to chase tourists away. Regardless if daily possessions limits are adjusted to reflect a common sense approach to enough fish for consumption by an average family, tourists should be allowed to take more fish home. As an example, 4 walleye at present could become 6 or 8.
I do not agree on reducing the crappie / panfish limit AT ALL. The main reasoning behind my stance on this is that I was staying at a cottage/boat rental place on Rice Lake this past summer, and the owner, who was a great guy, really friendly, and genuinely looking out for the livelihood of the lake, was adamant that the ONLY reason he or any cottage rental places make any annual profit, is Americans coming up and fishing panfish, taking home hundreds, if not thousands, to feed their families for the next 365 days until they come back again. The licensing fees the gov't makes from this are good, and the revenues that resort owners make (cottage rental, boat rental, gas, bait, food, etc.) is what makes the rural economy tick in many areas of the country.

It's not like there's a shortage of crappie, bluegill, etc... in fact, they are possibly in the middle of a population explosion!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

DropShot'r wrote: tourists should be allowed to take more fish home. As an example, 4 walleye at present could become 6 or 8.
As a point of clarification, I singled out crappie and perch, because in Zone 18 I think they are targeted quite heavily.

I never mentioned sunfish or even rock bass. In Zone 18 as well as in Zone 17's Rice lake, these species remain under-utilized.

Quite a few years ago we stayed at Rainbow Cottages on the Otonobee River a few km from where the river empties into Rice Lake. I was amazed at the amount of tourists that where there specifically fishing 'gills. There was no other reason for the trip than to fish 'gills. Now, as back then I thought it was great. Who else fishes for them other than "white buckets"?

There are some bronco 'gills in these lakes. But it doesn't mean that every area should have the same regulations. It would be very difficult to argue that fertility and composition of Zone 17's Rice lake can support the pounding the panfish receive. Zone 18's Big Rideau or Charleston for that matter are far different in fertility and composition and require different panfish regs.

DropShot'r
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I think that there is a concensus that the cuts to the MNR over the years has had a negative impact on the state of the province's fisheries in general. The government needs to realize that investment in the MNR is not a waste of money, but rather an investment with the potential for significant returns.

i.e.: Better management/enforcement -> Improved Fishing Opportunities-> Increase in Tourists/fishermen -> Increased spending -> Increased tax dollars back to the province
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

More protective slot limits! They work!

Keep a zero tolerance policy for bass fishing during the spawn...

...and definitely restrict the take limits for this species -- there are so many out there who will abuse the no limit allowance. Just because you might be an ethical fisherman, don't assume everyone else is.

W.
bait girl
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Use of bait fish in zone 18

Post by bait girl »

There is no longer a restriction on the size of bait fish for zone 18, you can use any size bait fish.

What everyone who fishes must do is make sure they have the proper licence for what they are fishing for and respect the laws that have been set up.

I think a true angler would (should) release any fish over 2-3lbs I can't see then tasting very good, and knowing that a good quality picture tells the tale.

Big thing get rid of gourge hooks!!!!!

Bait girl :wink:
bassman3840
Participant
Participant

ideas for zone 18 fisheries

Post by bassman3840 »

I disagree with Drop Shot concering increasing limits for tourists. I stay at a trailer park on White lake. Most tourists who stay in cabins & or camp sites seem to go on a fishing frenzy & keep & eat more fish per day than the possession limit allows . I would like to have the MNR do a few spot checks on these tourists as they leave the park. I have suggested this but am not aware if this was done.I feel our fee for licences is more important to our fishery than tourist dollars.I am sure the owners of these cottages are not going to limit the catch if it means losing customers. I would like to see a upper slot size of 1 fish 18 inches & over.
retrieverman
Participant
Participant

Post by retrieverman »

Slot limits work for most species and fishing during the spawn (even catch and release), is detrimental to any species.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Use of bait fish in zone 18

Post by wolfe »

bait girl wrote: Big thing get rid of gourge hooks!!!!!

Bait girl :wink:
Hiya Bait Girl,

What are "gourge hooks"?

Thx,

W.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »