Carp -- am I missing something Part 2

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joseph
Participant
Participant

Carp -- am I missing something Part 2

Post by joseph »

I checked out my attitude about carp with the Fish Hawkers comments and found much in common. I do enjoy good weight at the end of my rod when I am fishing, but must admit that finding out it is a carp after a good tussle leaves me dissapointed. Dissapointed because this invasive species though introduced for food back in the 1880's to North America did not live up to its billing, or we simply could not leave our roast beef alone long enough to enjoy a good feeding of carp burgers. Yet, this is not to say that the common carp, and four other members of its family, ate well. They eat so much aquatic vegetation, to the point where they can only digest half of it, releasing the other half to form algad bloom in the waters thus reducing oxygen content for other fish. They should be considered the top kingpin in the pond. Which leads me to say that they never stayed in their corner of the pond. Flloods and other elements caused the release of the thousands of them into lakes and from there they spread like wildfire. It took less than a hundred years for them from 1912 to now to establish themselves across Canada. They did such a good job that the MNR in Ontario in 2004 now prohibits the selling and buying of the Asian, and Grass carp, and millions more dollars are spent to control them. At the mouth of Missioppi River an underwater electric barriers is in placed to stop these species to invade the Great Lakes and cause significant damage to the lakes ecosystem. Did I say invade. Yes, carp have been classified as an invading species by the higher powers. The Australians have even made it illegal for the safe return of any carp to its habitat once it is caught. I guess that is what happens when you grow to 40 lbs, eat every plant and vegatation in sight, and females release anywere from 100,000 - 1.000.000.000 eggs per year (no family planning here) These behemouths grow rapidly, and may live from 15 - 50 yrs, uprooting and conuming vast quantities of vegetation, to out compete native fish species. Who suffers in the end? You and I. The typical angler that likes to catch other fish besides Mr. Orange Crush, and I believe that is most of us. There is certainly lots of room on the block for Carp and the rest of are fish population to continue, and no neec to think that the carp will ever make the extinct species if we dispose of some of them and give the rest of our fish species a better chance to reproduce, since Mr. CARP is here to stay. Signing off
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

your so right yet so wrong. signing in.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Carp -- am I missing something Part 2

Post by Iceman »

joseph wrote:They eat so much aquatic vegetation, to the point where they can only digest half of it, releasing the other half to form algad bloom in the waters thus reducing oxygen content for other fish.
How'd ya figure this :?: :?
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Cut n' Paste :lol:
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

SkeeterJohn wrote:Cut n' Paste :lol:

:?: :?: :?: :?:
joseph
Participant
Participant

carp -- am I missing something part 2

Post by joseph »

I found the particular info about the lower oxygen on www.invadingspecies.com. Once you get into the site go to Invaders then click on Fish then Invasive carp. Then once the page appears drop down to where it speaks on IMPACT. Read through and info found in second paragraph.
joseph
Participant
Participant

Post by joseph »

Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

when i hook into a carp i bring it to GONG GONG CHOP SUY

and get a clean crisp 5 $ bill! :mrgreen: