Disappointed with Trilene

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Disappointed with Trilene

Post by Markus »

After having 2 big cats break me off today (above the weight) , I decided to test the strength of the line. By simply pulling on the line it would snap. I pulled more off the spool...same thing. Very very brittle.

I just purchased and spooled this 8lb Trilene up about 8 days ago. I was very disappointed. I went back to the store I bought it from and checked to see if it was old line. Nope. Rods were left in my truck under the back seat overnight twice, but it was cloudy and cool. I checked a second reel that I spooled at the same time. Same thing. Snapped like sewing thread.

Not sure what would cause this? Any ideas?
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Line problems

Post by Seaweed »

I had the same thing happen with some Spiderwire Stealth the other day.... fresh off the spool and kept snapping on my baitcaster...lost two good spinnerbaits.... won`t be using more of that stuff... thought that I would give it a try even after the posts the other day on Fish-Hawk saying the stuff was crap..... I had to find out the hard way.... next time I will listen....

Oh by the way I had the same thing happen with the line Trilene calls super-tough.... brittle as old hell. Go figure.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

You've caught so many big cats that you've become super strong :D :!:
I have had similar things happen but usually after trekking 2 days in Algonquin to find out my line is useless. Sometimes I think its just a bad batch. I recently picked up Stren Magnathin in 8 lb. So far so good.
devy
Participant
Participant

Trilene XT

Post by devy »

I've used only Trilene XT over the past 15 years and never had a problem. In fact, I've landed 10 lb plus walleye on my ultralight rod spooled with 4 lb test as well as some smallies and pike. (Ya some of my co-fishers used to laugh at me until I started to outfish them armed with a 5 foot rod and ultra light shimano spinning reel). :twisted:
I use Trilene XT on all my rods. Perhaps you had a bad batch. Once tried Stren.......no THAT stuff, I never used again ( every time I pulled on it, it snapped like thread !!! (perhaps another bad batch).

:cry:
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

I agree with the bad batch theory. Had a spool of fireline once that snapped like thread, and that stuff will normally cut your fingers off if you try to break it.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Marcus

POWER PRO....can't beat it.....Heck RJ was using it to pullout crappie :shock: I use it on all my reels ....drasticly reducing the number of lures lost :lol: super sensitive, no strech great for setting the hook small diamature for the pound test....what more could you ask for :lol:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!><
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Marcus, Try Ironsilk! I use 8lbs and it is as strong as 14. no joke. he line does'nt break all that easy and have'nt lost a fish yet. giver a try.

DL
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

I really like both Power Pro (as a no stretch line) and Trilene XL for Mono. The only Trilene I had a breaking problem with was with the Sensathin (8lbs).

JasonM
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I have had the same experience with bad line....the latest was Spider Super Mono.

I have spooled up with Stren's new Super Braid....I have been pleasantly surprised....it really like it!
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Got to go with Devy here XT never found anything better. That said I've not tried the new lines, I started with mono and I still use it. The 2 pike posted on the great lakes forum were caught on mono 4 and 6 lb Xt . My son should have never come with 4lb but he caught a 6 to 7lb walleye shortly after the pike.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Lets see

I have tried pretty much all of the Trilene lines and thought they were all great except the sensitvie stuff which quickly gets all scuffed up and becomes brittle. And it has cost me some nice fish.

Last year I bought some of that Spider Super Mono. It was a great line, tough, abrasion resistant etc but it has alot of memory.

Going to get some fluro carbon line for Muskrat. Any suggestions on brands? I saw some Berkley at (memory lapse) today and was going to buy it but got excited looking at rods and the next thing I knew I was running late and had to split.

Mick
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Send the line back

Post by mitch »

My fishing buddy had the same problem a few years back and he sent the line back and lo and behold, they agreed that it was defectiver and they promptly sent his with his letter of apology a nice bag of fishing goodies.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Mitch, I sent a nice friendly note also. No response yet.

And......I'm spooled up again with trilene! :oops: It's been good to me in the past, so I thought i'd stick with it a while longer. I'm gonna have to try power pro sooner or later though.

I'll throw myself off the peir in the morning if there's a repeat performance. I have a spare spool of 10lb ironsilk just in case.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

I used to have the same problem Markus. Sometimes line is sitting on the shelf for too long and it looses its strength. I like to drop it in a bucket of cold water and let it sit in it for at least 20 minutes so it regains the moisture it lost and you are ready to go. it also takes away line spiraling. I've tried other lines and as far as sensitivity and hook setting goes, the non stretch ones are better. But the stretchy trilene mono can let you get away with your drag on too tight sometimes because it gives you that extra stretch where as if it were non stretch it would have snapped. But the problem with stretch also is you have to change your spool comstantly because after a few monsters burn your drag and stretch your line it becomes weak. SO you have to strip off a couple of hundred feet or put fresh line on. i think thats what happened to your line. you've been catching too many big fish on the same line :) I go through quite abit of line during the fishing season.....
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Just remembered a decent power pro experience I had:

I'm using one of the lightest variants.. 8 or 10lb. Two weeks ago I got hooked up on a midsize fallen tree in 10 feet of water. No way could I get the hook out so I decided to snap the line. I pointed the rod tip towards the hook and pulled back.. nothing.. it wasn't going to move. I put some muscle into it and finally felt some give. Then I realized what had happened.

The tree was coming to the surface :shock: