Out of Season Fishing is alive and well

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Is out of season fishing ok?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 71

Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

hawgbass wrote:WOW....Boys you're not making FH imagine any good here. FH is not design to be a crime fighter, which this post has turned into the B1 bashing for their actions and not options on OOS fishing. Firstly, well stated Norm... Here is a little history on the events that lead up to the creation of this now misidentified post and the decision to delay the 2009 Bass opener in Quebec .
The B1 made their announcement (registration open) of the event on 15 Jan 09. This was well after all necessary planning and other logistic administration requirements were secured or completed. Dates were picked for this tournament using all past available info and knowledge of previous bass season opening dates. (Who would have thought it would change) On 19 Jan Quebec MNR announced the change to the 2009 Bass opening season date. There was no attempt prior to this, to advise the public or any fishing organizations or oriented businesses, such fishing lodges, guide services, and a number of Quebec Bass fishing Series (that I'm aware of). What the Quebec MNR should have done, which would have advised all parties and public, as is being done presently by the Ont MNR in ref to FMZ 17 (Kawartha Lakes region). Make announcements that a committee has been created, which will consist of affected persons (Joe fisherman) and organizations that may be affected by any potential changes to present fishing season and daily limits, well before they come into affect. Or at least post an announcement of possible changes to the 2009 Bass season opener on the Quebec MNR website. What has happened post 19 Jan 09 QC MNR announcement, is that the B1 organizers after much planning effort and time has been expended in preparation for the event, have approached the Quebec MNR on the possibilities of delaying this change to the bass season opener until 2010. Big fishing events or fishing series such as the B1 and others (Kenora, Renegade, Quebec Bassmasters and CSFT for example,) don't happen within a few weeks or a month. Organizations have to make their intentions (series schedules or tournament date) available at least 6 to 9 months prior to the commencement of the event or the fishing series. This is to ensure max participation and that all potential competitors can plan their competitive fishing season. (events or series they are going to compete in). So as stated in other replies to this post; that all fisherpersons will benefit from B1 efforts here, and have the opportunity to legally fish bass in Quebec in 2009 starting on Monday 15 June. Again no crime committed here, just that an organization has approached the Quebec MNR/government to delay this sudden non-pre-empted announcement, that would have affected this opportunity to showcase the excellent bass fishery ( I have been told it is, as I haven't fished it before) within the Montreal region and to ensure max participation by those wishing to fish this event. As most of you have probably seen, that competitors are come from all areas of Canada and not just Quebec. So boys put down the torch, and as stated in an earlier replies, put your efforts into things that FH can affect (clean ups etc) within their control, that will bring positive recognition to the website and persons within this org. Just my two cents.

Cheers, Frank
Frank
This sounds like a very informed post. Thanks for that.
Had the sponsor said "We are pleased to announce that thanks to cooperation of the Ministry the opening date......etc etc , insread of comming on strong that they were proud to be pre-fishing prior to the opening date. This post would never have been started, at least not by me.
As several others have said it's all in the perception.
At various times I tell people I'm a hunter and you can see the change in perception. Large tournament organisers represent all of us who enjoy the sport of fishing and they need to beheave like Ceaser's wife. (At least in public)

As previously stated I'd still be intersted to hear the Ministry's reason for changing the date, was it such a weak reason that it could be easily changed back?
Is this a one time, this year only concession?
As for some of the comments about F-H reputation, I'm just glad we live in a country that allows us to challenge the authorities, and ask for explainations about why things are done.
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
Darsky
Participant
Participant

Post by Darsky »

I fish St Louis regularly for bass through out the season- It is a thriving bass fishery no doubt. The way its going this Spring it looks like water temps will be on time or ahead maybe-barring late season snow storms.Bass/pike/walleyes most likely will have spawned by their season openers.Opening the season a few days early will not hurt the fish. It would appear that this kind of issue would not happen again. Of course this all just my opinion. However on the flipside to this I also know a local area bass guide who has been finding bass still on beds during opener for the last few years including last year well into July. Water temp is what it breaks down to as fish dont check the calenders.
Last edited by Darsky on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Frank I guess you're the guy listed in B1 from Hammond. I didn't know we had another fishing nut out here.

You once again say the dates were changed for everyone and not just the B1 guys but I see it as advancing it to the Monday and not Friday before the tournament which pretty well takes out Joe weekender and only extends the season for the pre fishing of B1 and just a few retired anglers who fish during the week.

Look at this tread from last June about the tournament poachers from the Lefeivre tournament. They aren't shy about pre fishing before the season opens.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... =0&t=29700

If you have any concerns about the fisheries you should have tourneys start weeks into the season just like we recomend to stay away from muskie events in July and August for the health of the fish.

I think this will leave a black eye for the tourney guys and Berkley for sure.

So when is the Lefeivre tournament this year? Can't be the same weekend as B1?
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Trophymuskie wrote:So when is the Lefeivre tournament this year? Can't be the same weekend as B1?
June 27th, 2009
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

jwhite wrote:
Trophymuskie wrote:So when is the Lefeivre tournament this year? Can't be the same weekend as B1?
June 27th, 2009
Which is the opener right? so we'll have the poachers out all week before.

BTW or all those guys that say that not because it's a bass boat that they are fishing for bass. But the 5 days before the Lefeivre tourney the parking lot was full of bass boats from Quebec and the US, quite a long drive to fish for pike that just happens to be days before a large bass tournament that you happen to be signed up for.

As well for anyone that spend any kind of time on the Ottawa river will tell you that probably some very low percentage ( way less then 5% ) of boats on the Ottawa are bass boats not counting the week of a tourney. So if you see more then one bass rig at any launch during a weekday you can bet the farm there will be a tourney the following weekend.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

In fairness, the boat style does not indicate what they are fishing for.

I agree that if the week before the tourny, it is likely prefishing bass.

However, a friend of mine owns a (sweet) bass boat, and while fishing for crappie in the spring, he gets constantly hassled by people accusing him of bass fishing, only because of the style of boat.

Ensure that someone is actually targetting bass before assuming based on boat type...
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

The only thing this thread has done is show how really sanctimonious. Hawk- talkers are.

For all of you who contacted OFAH, I really would like to hear their take on this
and what they plan to do.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I don't see what this has to do with OFAH - wrong province... I suppose someone may have contacted them, but don't know why...
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

ChampionNorm wrote:The only thing this thread has done is show how really sanctimonious. Hawk- talkers are.

For all of you who contacted OFAH, I really would like to hear their take on this
This thread is as big a joke as some of the attitudes of the people posting in this thread.

Secondly, someone please explain to me what the OFAH can do regarding a complaint about fishing in Quebec.

Thirdly, I am so looking forward to pike/walleye fishing this season in my BASS boat.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

jwhite wrote:
ChampionNorm wrote:
The only thing this thread has done is show how really sanctimonious. Hawk- talkers are.

This thread is as big a joke as some of the attitudes of the people posting in this thread.

Secondly, someone please explain to me what the OFAH can do regarding a complaint about fishing in Quebec.

Thirdly, I am so looking forward to pike/walleye fishing this season in my BASS boat.
Out4trout wrote:
I don't see what this has to do with OFAH - wrong province... I suppose someone may have contacted them, but don't know why...

You need to read all the posts in this thread

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=33856

Jwhite I will be right behind you in my bass boat - Guess we will be having a tournament then?
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

ChampionNorm wrote: Jwhite I will be right behind you in my bass boat - Guess we will be having a tournament then?
I'm actually getting tired of reading the same types of comments. The horse has been beaten enough already. :roll:

We should have a pike/walleye tournament in late May....only requirement is that you MUST fish out of a BASS boat. :twisted:
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I would think the organizers of this tourney have probably just sat down with the ministry and have come up with an agreement to change the opening weekend of the Bass season there. I seem to remember 2 years ago when the Levaive(sp?) tourney was booked for a certain weekend and it ended up the season wasn't open. If I remember right the minister of Natural resources signed an amendment to change the open season on the Ottawa river to a different date so that tourney could run and to prevent confusion with the regs. What's the difference now???? I don't think this is just about "Bass Guys" getting a special privilage to fish out of season, I think it was a well thought out, well talked about revision to some confusion in the Regs.
marc Thorpe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by marc Thorpe »

From my communication with the Ministry,only participants have the permission,the general public is denied this privilege so far

how does this effect other species which open on the same day on the19th
Will they have a preemptive opener
also,opening bass season in a preemptive way because of a competitive events go against he very principle foundation that govern our fish and game laws

Sorry what has tranpired behind the scenes is un-acceptable and a complete disrespect to the general anglers,thats 800 000 permity purchasing anglers

This regards every anglers who utilizes the Quebec resource,for those that support this privilege,thats your right,I Dont!

Thank you to all that have shared their views in a civil matters,this thread and issue is of importance to the general angling public
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I think it should be noted that for once in about 40 years....

Thorpe and Collins agree on something....

Sorry fellas....had to... :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ
hawgbass
Participant
Participant

Post by hawgbass »

Yes Trophymuskie, there must be the two of us in Hammond. Been a fishing (bass) nut for 20+ years.
All I can add to this post is, thank god for contentious issues or beliefs, or the FH site would be really boring and it would be a longer winter. People must realize things happen, for the good or the bad in all sports or recreational activities...remember what forced us all into having to get a boaters operator card...careless rich kids from the GTA that were injured or kill due to their stupidity and reckless behaviour on PFC or in boats...now we have evolved to paint all competitive bass anglers with the same brush...but people must remember that we are not weekend anglers, (we put back everything we catch) and for this reason we don't just show up for a tournament on that day, unprepared to compete, as Almontefisher thinks we should, and furthermore, we don’t go out pre fishing and fill the boat or catch every fish we see. We go out and attempt to locate fish in certain areas or structure (not trying to hook them, but have them show themselves...busting on a frog or pick up a bait) and once fish are located, we leave the remaining area alone until the weekend of the tournament. People must remember we put out good money to compete at a higher level, no different then some other sporting activities such as professional golfers, or kayaker do. We all spend time to familiarize ourselves with our respective playing field, to come up with a game plan that will hopefully work the weekend of the competition and get us on the stage or as with golfers play a few rounds on the competition golf course prior to the competition, to determine that best way to get the lowest score on a round, or to determine the best approach to get through a section of fast water in the quickest time in a kayak. Yes the sudden unannounced (last minute) changes in Bass Opening weekend in both provinces over the last couple of years has brought on some controversy, and all around the competitive angler. In all competitive activities, whether horse racing, football or fishing, you will have those individuals that won’t play by the rules (ie per Leferve tournament incident last year). And remember, even though there may be bass boat trailers in the parking lot, doesn’t mean we are all out fishing bass out of season, I don’t even have a rod in the boat, when I’m out looking for fish in the shallows for the following opening weekend tournament. But that’s me...That’s it for me on this topic, and signing off, Frank