A GOOD DAY TURNS.........EHHHHHHHHHH

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

A GOOD DAY TURNS.........EHHHHHHHHHH

Post by Jigs »

:?

Was on the water by 7 AM today. Wind picked up out of the North. Drifted around and got a couple of nice pike. Turned a tad cold, so about 8:30 was going to head home and fillet up fish for lunch.

Saw a swirl near the weed line so snapped a cast - 3 pike are better than two (hollow legs at home when the fryer starts)

The cast was into the wind with a light spoon, and the bait caster birdnested like you wouldn't believe. Brand new 15lb. Power Pro. Just can't get your thumb on the line fast enough. :cry:

So, after lunch (burp!, cuse me), I tried to get the backlash out........Suddenly remembered why I switched to spinning reels. Folks, that power pro is wonderful line, but if it birdnests, next to impossible to get it out. Wound up cutting. Goodbye new line. :roll:

Here's the point. Going to post some baitcasters for sale in Hawk Classified: also baitcasting rod. Giver a look. Sorry, Hawk, fer sneakin a advert in the forum.

Pike tasted great though. Actually got a piece. :)

Regards: Jigs :wink:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Great day to bad about the nest..however I find with Power Pro..if I birds nest....I mean when I birdsnest, it is the easiest to undo!!
You must have had a doooozie! :)
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Baitcaster and the wind

Post by Seaweed »

Yep man do I know that feeling..... :oops:

One thing you will learn with those baitcasters is where the wind blows from you do not cast.... no way. :lol:

Don't give up hope though... they are nice outfits once you get past the learning curve.... :cry:

When is that curve over guys and gals..... I'm still waiting for the actual end... it has slowed but not ended. :P
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Jigs, don't give up on that baitcaster yet (unless of course you are going to give me a really really good deal on your rod and reel combo :twisted: )

In the beginning (and by that I mean still) I would always start my day with a baitcaster. Generally speaking, 1/2hour or so into my day I'd nest her up pretty good and pick up spinning gear to finish the day.
Fortunately, that 1/2 hour turned to an hour to 2 hours etc. Now a baitcaster is my go to set up. Spinning gear is almost exclusively for light bite walleyes. Everything else sees 30lb power pro coming off a quantum ACS baitcaster.

Good luck.
M.T. Livewell
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Check the classifieds Jigs is out, baitcasters got the best of him!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Jigs: One of your problems was the weight of Power Pro you were using. The 15 lb PP is the same diameter as 6 lb mono, and reacts on the reel as such. This smaller diameter line is too limp and can blow up on you in a hurry(as you have found out) On a baitcaster, I never reccomend lighter than 40 lb PP or 12 lb mono, and would tend to go a bit heavier with somebody early in the baitcaster learning curve.

IMHO

Ed Toobinator Puddephatt
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

birds nest

Post by Jigs »

:)

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. I used bait casters for years, and believe your'e right about the line being too light. Should have gone with at least 20#

Never used under 15# mono on one, guess I got carried away with power pro...lol.

However, haven't been using the B.C.'s for quite a while;much prefer spinning reels, so today was the icing........I sold em all; now its just me and my quantums,(with the handy little pin thing so you don't have to grab the line), and the Shimano convergence spinning rod I'm getting tommorow to add to the rod collection............We all need MORE. :lol:

Best regards: Jigs.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Jigs,

Don't despair, you are in good company. I am a baitcaster mo-mo -- as in more moronic casting. Can't seem to get it right. Spinning gear for me.

W.