I suppose I have to get my Pleasure Craft Card eh?.....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I did mine through this site as well http://www.theoperatorcard.ca

So did my brother, GF, and a couple co-workers
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

After talking to other people about this who went another route....I should have followed and gotten it a few years ago when a "certain" guy was giving them out for $30, no test :roll:
setomonkey
Participant
Participant

boater card

Post by setomonkey »

I did a class at Bass Pro Shops. Think it was about an hour or so, and then we wrote the exam.

Figured that I might as well learn something if I had to get the card anyway. Some of it was pointless but some of it was useful, e.g., I didn't know what different kinds of buoys signified.

Think the total cost was about $50 or $60, that included the class and exam.

Mike
Big fish, little fish, swimming in the water...
c@tch
Participant
Participant

Post by c@tch »

Did mine through this site $25.00.
www.freecourse.ca
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

gkilla wrote:Here is the link for the exam for $20 plus you get 2 cards not just one. Took less than 2 weeks to come in the mail.

http://www.theoperatorcard.ca/index.php?event

Just don't want anyone else having to pay $45-$60 for something that can be had for a lot less.
FYI, link still good. Says "for existing customers" but just go ahead and buy your pin -- doesn't do any kind of check to see if you're existing or not.
:)
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

[quote="FishingIsHealing"]I'll be getting mine at Manotick Bait........I just went there to talk to the owner and they give the test there. It's 50$

The problem with that website boaterexam.com or whatever, is that you need to have a person register to be a guarantor or whatever it is.......they have to register to watch you take the test to make sure you dont cheat or reproduce the test.

It can't be a family member either so it's kind of inconvenient.

I'd rather just shell out the extra bit of money to get the test done without having to jump through hoops to get someone to supervise me.

But thats just my opinion...... ``

I`ve used boaterexam.com as a supervisor for friends maybe 10 times. The card seems to be shipped fairly rapidly... 2-3 weeks, not bad. And they all paid $50.. so its not extra money.

Manotick is offering exactly the same thing as boaterexam.com... they may even be using boaterexam.com for their test. In this case, Manotick (the owner) is being your supervisor or guarantor... that`s all. It`s a great idea!
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

You know in principal I can go along with the boater’s safety card or whatever it is they call it. I finally broke down and got mine. Only and I must say only because, well the deadline obviously and the fact that for the first time in many years I do plan on fishing some rivers that there is a good chance the cops will be on this year. Normally where I go you don’t see Cos or anyone. Anyway took the test, what a joke if this test is to make our waters safe??? We’ll let the stats decide that in a few years. As far as I am concerned with the test material I was given, they would have been better of and I would have more respect for it, if they had of just come out and said. You have a boat? like to use it?, Give us 40 bucks.
I mean get the card you’re gonna need it. At least if you don’t want to get a fine. My Dad is 76 years old has a 12’ with a 4hp up at the cottage, on a lake that may see all of 2 or 3 boats in a week and that’s only in the spring when the specks are biting, needs a card.
I know it’s a dead horse, but I’m flogging it anyway. Be safe a piece of paper will not save you’re a@@ if the weather turns bad. My rant is over.
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

My grandpa is 82, was a bridge officer and captain of a huge destroyer type boat. We have an inland Newfoundland cabin that takes miles of boating to get there. He is not going to get a boating license and I respect that. A man that is a seasoned sailor and war veteran does not need to get a boating licence.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

WallyPro wrote:My grandpa is 82, was a bridge officer and captain of a huge destroyer type boat. We have an inland Newfoundland cabin that takes miles of boating to get there. He is not going to get a boating license and I respect that. A man that is a seasoned sailor and war veteran does not need to get a boating licence.
I agree with you and I respect your Grandpa but if he gets stopped by a police he will still get a ticket. That operators license was just a great big money grab. Just like the Gun registry!!!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

WallyPro wrote:My grandpa is 82, was a bridge officer and captain of a huge destroyer type boat. We have an inland Newfoundland cabin that takes miles of boating to get there. He is not going to get a boating license and I respect that. A man that is a seasoned sailor and war veteran does not need to get a boating licence.
Same - while I respect your grampa, professional race car drivers still need driver's licenses.
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

You ever stop to think that 82 year old grampa may have forgotten a few things over the years. A refresher never hurt anyone....even if it's the law.
I-make-stink-bait
Participant
Participant

Post by I-make-stink-bait »

My grandpa up North is a big fisherman, went in and wrote the boater's test and failed. 3 weeks later they sent him his card in the mail.
Seems like a money grab to me.
fishermccann
Participant
Participant

Post by fishermccann »

Why is everyone talking about 2 cards, I think that you only need one. What is the other one for , won't it have the same info on it?
Carmine13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Carmine13 »

boaterexam.com its where i got mine and its fine
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

$30 bucks at the Carp show this year, in and out in about 15 minutes with 1 wrong answer.

I agree with the majority that it is just a money grab, but it does

-create employment
-educate people on boater safety ( I have all the confidence in the world in my seamanship, but never sure about everyone else in the marina)
-give the government reason to stop and inspect you and your vessel (or is that just my post 9/11 paranoia?)