Quebec Reds

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

4 more sleeps ...........

Man , I hope the Arctic Char are biting this weekend......... :wink:
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

I dont know if you se the poste I make earlier Im heading Saturday for some specks in the La Rouge area and I just cant wait :) . All posted a report when all come back on how I did :) .
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Quebec Reds

Post by bl8ant »

This is a "quebec red", notice the absence of red :)
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

YES !!! You found 'em buddy!! THAT is a true Quebec Red Trout aka landlocked arctic char. Beauty catch!!

Doesn't look like a brook trout at all does it.

I bet the ice went off that lake about 4 days before you caught it.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Some posts were deleted in this one. If you'd like to continue contributing to this one feel free. You want to call people "idiots", you can elsewhere.

RJ
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

slabfloater33 I'm sure you were joking around with your last comment as it couldn't possibly be taken seriously.

Not only does the tiny fish I have in my hands look nothing like a splake but it came from a lake I targeted specifically for it's stocked arctic char. The lake has never been stocked with splake in the past nor does it have the two parent species required to make the hybrid species you claim it to be. If you are interested in learning how to better distinguish trout, I'd be happy to help.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

That's a great one for the bucket list! Congrats!
slabfloater33

Post by slabfloater33 »

So someone deleted a post because I referred to the loser in Ottawa as an Idiot? Wow. There are things about Ottawa I truly hate , political correctness and lack of a spine being 2 of them.
Deleting this bookmark off my computer and my sons. Useless lonely braggarts and suburban know it alls...lol.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

That is indeed a very rare fish. You are correct the fish is a landlocked char. It is native to certain deep lakes in Maine, New Hampshire and Quebec. In Maine it is called Blueback trout, Quebec the Red Trout and NH the Sunapee Trout. It is distinguishable by its deeply forked tail and long thin body. They rarely get over a foot long.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

slabfloater33 wrote:So someone deleted a post because I referred to the loser in Ottawa as an Idiot? Wow. There are things about Ottawa I truly hate , political correctness and lack of a spine being 2 of them.
Deleting this bookmark off my computer and my sons. Useless lonely braggarts and suburban know it alls...lol.
Sorry to see you go, not really. Don't worry I took the liberty of deleting your account and blocking your IP while I was at it.

Continue this informative thread fellas.

Thanks for not engaging.

RJ
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

ganman wrote:They rarely get over a foot long.

Ive read this before as well, and was suprised to see some locally(To the Gatineau Valley) a little larger than 12'' from a outfitter.... Cookie cutters to say the least but beautiful!
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

All this rain is barring me from getting to my normal Quebec Red lake, so here's a pic from earlier. A couple of15 inchers.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

RJ wrote:
slabfloater33 wrote:So someone deleted a post because I referred to the loser in Ottawa as an Idiot? Wow. There are things about Ottawa I truly hate , political correctness and lack of a spine being 2 of them.
Often an ecosystem is better off when certain creatures are unable to reproduce.

From a fisheries management perspective I mean of course, talking splake.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

That's an old Mitchel on that rod. Looks to be in great shape though. They wind backwards from any other reel I've ever seen. Found that out when I spooled up a reel for a customer and put the line on backwards. :oops: Nice fish too.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Sweet and old Mitchell 300. First spinning reel i ever owned bought it from the kid down the street with my paper route money for $15. didn't tell my parents they wouldn't have let me keep it. Hahaha... Used to sneek out to the river with it in my pack. broke it on a canoe trip.

Thanks for the memory!