Muskrat lakers?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pikeman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeman »

Awsome fish Popeye!!!!!!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Not too shabby Popeye.....

MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Nothing for me, even though I was marking a ton of fish. It actually turned into a day of organizing my boat and testing her out after a long winter. A little choppy out there last Sunday but still nice to be out on the water. I'm now counting down the days until pickerel opens, although may hit Muskrat again before then....
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Nice fish.

One of these days I should make the 15 minute drive over there and give the lakers a go.

I'll make sure I go trolling in my bassboat so someone can take a pic of me and a message board can go nuts thinking I am trolling for OOS species. I promise to leave the spear in the rod locker.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Some nice lakers right there..

Congrats.....
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
FrogEyes
Participant
Participant

Post by FrogEyes »

wow! Nice catch!
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Those are some nice lakers there 8) They fight like crazy in that lake don't they. I caught a 6 lber. last fall and it fought like it was 20. I'm curious how those fish tasted??? I've never kept one from Muskrat because I was told by a few people that they were so strong tasting you couldn't to eat them. I was wondering if those guys were feeding me a line or do they taste real strong from there. I was told they are real greasey because of all the smelts they eat, is this true?
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

fishmaster wrote:Those are some nice lakers there 8) They fight like crazy in that lake don't they. I caught a 6 lber. last fall and it fought like it was 20. I'm curious how those fish tasted??? I've never kept one from Muskrat because I was told by a few people that they were so strong tasting you couldn't to eat them. I was wondering if those guys were feeding me a line or do they taste real strong from there. I was told they are real greasey because of all the smelts they eat, is this true?
speaking from experience.... I find that any laker (from these local waters) over 5 pounds are too greasy for me.
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

Thanks for the praise boys!

However, I was back out on Friday. Fished all day, same spots, and trolled most of the lake, had a good one hooked for a while until he got near the boat, and then wham!! Off the line he went....see ya...No fish caught all day.

I was marking fish down about 25 feet, thats 10 feet deeper than last Monday....better luck next time I guess.

As for the taste they were great! I did not find them greasy, but again the water is still very cold, and their bellies were pretty much empty. The large female had a couple of smelt in her belly, maybe 3 to 4 inches long.

The female was nice and fat at 27 inches and the male was slimmer at 23 inches. The female put up a real nice fight, as everytime she saw the boat, she would plung towards the bottom.

Both fish were caught on ultra light rode with 6 pounds test mono line.!!

Cheers
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nice lakers Popeye!!
I agree - springtime lake trout fight hard.
Trev1000
Participant
Participant

This weekend?

Post by Trev1000 »

Anyone hitting Muskrat this weekend?
Saturday is looking nice to be on the water somewhere.
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

I will be back out on Saturday....good luck to you all!! Let us know how you make out!
Trev1000
Participant
Participant

you too

Post by Trev1000 »

Good luck to you too
I will bring a camera just in case
Popeye
Participant
Participant

Post by Popeye »

me too...ya never know what comes out of this lake....my biggest fish ever have come out of Muskrat, for Walleye, muskie, and Sturgeon, as well as lakers....I have a laker 33 1/2 pounds on my wall in the cottgae caught at this lake....cheers. I will be out with my little Scooter...a Jack Russell dog, Chat with you on the lake...cheers
Trev1000
Participant
Participant

ok

Post by Trev1000 »

Sounds like a plan,
Hope the rain holds off

Trevor