Walleye or Pickeral

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

I know the correct name....but which do you perfer?

Walleye
74%
Pickeral
26%

Total votes: 39

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Walleye or Pickeral

Post by Markus »

Everyone refers to this sport fish differently. We all know the proper name, but which do you commonly use.
Question Man??
Participant
Participant

Pickeral

Post by Question Man?? »

Pickeral is the Canadian way remember that!!!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Pickeral is the Ontario way....I'm from NS and we have pickeral. Real Pickeral.

I'd love to know the orgin of the re-naming if anyone knows it???
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Pickerel. With an 'e'. Just looks wrong with that 'a' in there. For me anyways. Walleye just makes me think of those tacky American fishing pros of the late 80's. But I think we already discussed this

http://www.fish-hawk.net/phpBB-2.0.2/ph ... php?t=3342

Cant the weekend come fast enough ? :)

Fox

EDIT: Remove stupid EZ-code tags
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I missed that thread all together! :oops: Sorry to beat a dead horse!

Walleye! 8)
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Hey Marcus,

I wasnt trying to give you trouble for starting the poll. The other thread kinda went askew anyways. I still like to call them yellow pickerel though. To each his own though.

You're from Nova Scotia are ya ? I assume you mean Chain Pickeral when you say you have real pickeral out there. Actually, while I have your attention - let me ask you a question about the out East areas. I might be taking a sight seeing vacation out to NS, NB, and PEI and I was wondering if you or any otheres here could tell me if I mihgt be able to catch anything fishing from shore in the Ocean. I looked up the licence info for NS< and it says you dont need one to fish tidal waters, but there may not be anything to catch w/o a boat ?.

Thanks

Fox
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

There's lots to fish for. Unfortunately, most of the good stuff isn't available to recreational anglers, but there's still some fun things to fish from the docks.

There's Mackeral (if they're running), flounder, stripers, tommy cod, eel, skate, sea run brokies (tough to locate), gaspereau, smelts and dogfish (mud sharks - a lot of fun!)

Don't pass up the freshwater fishing though. There's some great bass fishing, brook trout (small), and chain pickeral!

Let me know where you're heading and when and I'll let you know what's running and where.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I mised it to.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

You guys missed it because you were fishing! The rest of us were bored! thanks for pointing it out because I left for the boat before CCB explained the jackelope.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

pickeral...............pickerel

Post by Jigs »

:oops:

I ain't gonna touch this with a ten foot walleye.

Regards: Jigs :wink:
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

FireFox - I just came from Halifax in Sept. Markus is bang on about the Mackerel in summer. They typically run July/August and are best caught with the tide changes.

Good fishing opportunities within Halifax city are
1) Rocky Lake - Bedford. There's a causeway where the train tracks cut across the lake. Tons of small, fiesty smallie's from there, especially around the culverts
2)???? Lake (the one in Portland Estates) - Dartmouth. Chain Pickerel
3)any fishing charter for pollock/mackerel and the odd cod. A bit pricey (apprx $100/pp for 5hrs) but fantastic action and a great way to beat the heat on those muggy NS afternoons

If you can travel a bit (apprx 1hr):
White Lake - smallies (head towards Peggy's Cove on the old highway and you'll drive right by it);

St Croix River - near Windsor. Especially below the dam that creates Ponhook Lake. Take the St Croix exit off Hwy 101, watch for Salmon Hole Dam Rd. Follow it to the end. The best fishing isn't actually at the generating station, but a few hundred yds downstream once the water gets calmer around the flooded timber. Good smallies, great perch and the odd speckle.

Shortts Lake - Stewiake. Take the Stewiake exit off Hwy 102, find and follow Shortts Lake Rd. Agruably the best chain pickerel lake in NS.

Musquodobit River - Follow hwy 107 to Musquodobit Hbr, turn inland. just before crossing the river. That rd follows the river towards Meaghers Grant, Middle Musquodobit. Speckles (slow in summer though).

East River - Small creek that crosses Hwy 103 just before Exit 7. Head upstream to the "T" bend (you'll know it when you see it) fishing the pools, or downstream to the old train bridge. Speckles - also very pretty.

Little Salmon(???) Creek/Lake - Lake Echo. Off Highway 107 (before Musq) turn left on Circle (?) Dr, and again on River Rd. Follow it to the end (it gets pretty rough) There's a day-camp type place at the end on a lake. Behind the camp there's a walking trail that follows the lake shore and creek for about 3 miles through the woods. Speckles - also very scenic.

There's a tackle shop on Agricola St in the north end called "Fishin Fever" it's probably your best bet for up to date info.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

saskie wrote: St Croix River - near Windsor. Especially below the dam that creates Ponhook Lake. Take the St Croix exit off Hwy 101, watch for Salmon Hole Dam Rd. Follow it to the end. The best fishing isn't actually at the generating station, but a few hundred yds downstream once the water gets calmer around the flooded timber. Good smallies, great perch and the odd speckle.
I know this lake particularly well....it's my home! I think it's spelled Panuke Lake though....still not sure about the spelling.

All great spots Saskie. I have a cottage on Zwickers lake. Hwy 14 in between Windsor and Chester. Great smallmouth fishing there as well. Also Little River Lake in the Annapolis Valley is loaded with smallies. Not a lot of bigguns, but you'll get one every 5th cast.
fishhit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

walleye or pickerel

Post by fishhit »

When I was a kid we used to catch chain pickerel in the Ottawa river right in the bay where the Nepean sailing club is today. Years ago that stretch of the river was very different from today. The area refered to as andy hayden park to the east of what we called corkstown creek had a few cottages and the shoreline was about 300 yards further in. Same goes for dick bell park to the west where the sail club is. The creek mouth was a terrific fishing spot back then and the catch was widely varied. White bass, chain pickerel and walleye were abundant. Huge cats cruised the sand bottom at night and we'd fish for them till 3:00 am and worry our mothers sick.
But enough of the time tunnel. So anyway we used to call chain pickerel grass pike and we called walleye pickerel.
Fishhit
fish_bowl
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_bowl »

:roll:

As a Fish and Wildlife Graduate, I would have to say the correct terminology is Walleye. Unless, you are talking about chain pickerel which are totally different fish.

Now as a Norterner (Sault Ste Marie) (well born and raised.. now in the east) we used to say Pickerel. I'm torn.

Fish
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

FireFox,

Guess I'm one of those "tacky Americans" that call 'em walleye! :wink:

And I think I'm the guilty party who lead the last (similar) post astray by introducing the jackelope topic! (Yeah, we were pretty bored!)

Anyway, for me, walleye it is. Pickeral / Pickerel are those shrunk down pike-like fellows!

W.