Are my senkos any good?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Upper_House
Participant
Participant

Are my senkos any good?

Post by Upper_House »

In a past life, I lived in Northern Saskatchewan and fished walleye off a pier on the outskirts of our little town using nothing more than a minnow tipped jig. Then I moved to the Ottawa Valley and discovered Bass Fishing. I also discovered "the senko" phenomenon. Being stuck on shore, my preferred method was a wacky style senko. I bought copious amounts of these little plastic treasures and they landed me many many fish.

Now I am heading back to Northern Saskatchewan where the only fish worth catching are Walleye, Pyke and Perch.

My question is should I bother keeping all of these senkos? I must have 400-500 of them! Has anyone ever fished walleye or pyke with them or is this a bass-only phenomenon?
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Nope.....junk. Let me know and I will come pick them up before you head West. :wink:
IanD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IanD »

I've caught a lot of pike on Senkos. Texas rig them and use them as a jerk bait. Slip a bullet weight up front and fish them as a sinking jerk bait. Just give them lots of little twitches and jerks and keep the speed up.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

My wife caught a really nice pike on a wacky rigged "bruised orange" colour Yum dinger (senko-type lure) last year while smallie fishing with me. The pike darn near pulled her into Big Rideau Lake -- it LOVED the Yum dinger, obviously!

For walleye and perch I'm not sure you will get much on them, but pike, yes.
Upper_House
Participant
Participant

Post by Upper_House »

Thanks fellas, I'll give em a try next time I am out for Pyke.

I have had a ton of fun fishing Bass for the last three years, but I am looking forward to some cold water again (my lake, Lac Laronge, still has two and half feet of ice).

We have Smallies in the Souris river system down south and I do fish there from time to time, so I was going to hold on to them anyways, but it's nice to know they will have an application a little closer to home.
MattSymons
Participant
Participant

Post by MattSymons »

UH,

Pike love stick worms. Some places I fish my stick-worms (I use a lot of bass Magnet Quiver Sitcks and Yum Dingers) on a 50lb fluoro leader to keep the pike and muskies from running me out of hooks. Try yellow for northerns.
My buddy got a walleye about 3 lbs last year on a 5" Yamamoto. I've caught a few nice perch on the 4" models too. You will probably have better luck on walleyes and perch fishing them on jigheads. I bet fishing a big white one rigged on a heavy jighead in the right spots and you might get a laker up there as well.
I say keep them if you like fishing them. You can still put them to good use.

Good luck,

www.bassnorth.com
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Hey - where ya from dude?

Jacks ( :wink: ) and perch will hit them for sure...but then again if you can find something they won't hit, let me know.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Bobby Shimano
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bobby Shimano »

I would think that the fish in northern Saskatchewan have not seen a lot of senko's...
Upper_House
Participant
Participant

Post by Upper_House »

Ironically, I am from Jackfish Lake originally.

I am actually living in Regina, but my Cabin is up on Lac Laronge. It's a long drive, but well worth it.

I had never fished a "Senko" before I moved out to Ottawa. In the last 3 years though, I have done 80% of my fishing on Senko's. I understand there are some smallies in the Souris River at Rafferty Reservoir. I might make a run down there when I get the itch to go Bassin.

I am looking forward to trolling for Jacks and sitting in pickerel and sauger holes up north.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Cool. My cabin is near Reindeer...long drive, but yes, oh so worth it!
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Upper_House
Participant
Participant

Post by Upper_House »

That is a substantially farther drive!

Lac La Ronge itself actually kind of stinks to fish by August cause of all of the commercial fishing. You definitely have to know the spots.

We often pull out and head up to Stanley Mission for walleye.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Nipawin to Southend wouldnt be any further than Regina to La Ronge. In fact I think you'll have a couple hours extra drive, but your will be paved and mine...well not so much.

I heard that about La Ronge. Too bad.