Accidental Loon hookup

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
doublest
Participant
Participant

Accidental Loon hookup

Post by doublest »

Last summer while fishing Newboro Lake, I had the occasion on two different casts with a spinner bait when I noticed a loon pursuing my bait. Has anyone had one actually swallow the lure? If so, what does one do other than cut the line? Do the MNR arrest one for harassing the loons if this should happen?
Just wondering if anyone has had this experience?
mattdbz29
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdbz29 »

if you see loons dont cast near them or you will hook into them... just leave em alone. go fish somewheres else..
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Never hooked a loon, however one day a few summers back I was top water fishing near a small island for SM bass, and there was a great blue heron standing on the island watching me fish. The wind caught one of my casts and it landed right infront of the giant bird, as soon as it landed the heron started moving towards it...thank goodness I pulled the lure away from the heron a second before he had a chance to get hooked. Imagine a gaint angry bird at boatside....no thank you.

Another time I was surf fishing in cape cod w/ chopped squid for bait and had a sea gull nab my bait on a cast before it hit the water...luckily I was able to pull it out of its grasp without hooking it....then I started to notice seals taking intrest in what I was doing so I left the area, as although I'm sure they are a great fight, did not want to hook a seal.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Don't go anywhere near a Loon when fishing ........... :evil: :evil:

How do you explain , '' Accidently '' casting hear a Loon.. :roll:

Not refering to you Doublest
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Once when fishing, i saw a duck struggling for air/life... I moved the boat over to see if it was stuck on old fishing-line or some garbage or whatever...

Turned out it was a snapping turtle grabbing it's foot trying to drown it by pulling it under-water... the turtle let go when I started to yank on the duck... which then flapped all over the boat and crap on the floor before taking off without a thank you what so ever... Feathers and duck crap is what I got for my troubles... and a hell of a laugh... :)

needless to say, it was something that I (and my fishing buddy) will remember for a long long time...
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

If only you knew then what you know now about duck feathers :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

please stay away frome loon.

accident happen.true

but stupide accident happen to wen some fool cast close to them for fun. :evil:

nobody want to see this.

:cry:

joco
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

joco wrote:
nobody want to see this.

:cry: :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

joco
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Why do all of you think that casting near a loon is the only way that you can hook into one????? :? :? :? :? .......do loons not dive into the water searching for food????????.....they can also easily get hooked while grabbing your lure under the water when trolling...... 8) :roll: :lol:
Last edited by troutnmuskiehunter on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

I think a loon would only chase a lure like that out of agression defending its young so ya defineately time to high tail it out of that area.
Seagulls try to dive down and get my musky lures quite often so it can happen. I was showing off a new "crazy crawler" surface bait one time when I was a young lad and a seagull came down and grabbed it. It was quite an in air fight for awhile with the thing screaming and attracting gulls from the whole area to come over and all scream etc. I'm glad it was in the fall and I had gloves cause man THEY BITE lol
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Why do all of you think that casting near a loon is the only way that you can hook into one tmh.

no one is saying its the only way.

but this is what we are talking about here.

sher they get tangle on some old fishing line on shore that more stupide people let there.

or get stuck in the bottom wen diving in more line that got stuck there by accident.

BUT if ther some loon that can be save frome stupib act like casting at them or close to them it worth it to say aomething about it.

here is one pict off a bird not sher its a loon but still a bird that dive to get is food. a guy i no took that pict last january while diving..that bird got caught in the bottom in olf fishing line..this is what can happen to,but we cant do nothing for those its true accident..but if we can save some why not.

by not casting at them or let old fishing line on shore or plastic container for them to get caught in like can plastic older there the worst etc etc.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

mabe a bit out off the main subject but still in the main.

to protect birds while fishing

look this.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5837271
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jul/1 ... _injuries/

a rapala caught in the bird foot.

if i see somebody casting a lure at a bird. just make sher to have a fast boat....i dont have petty for stupidity.

.sorry not trying to take over the tread''doublest'' :wink:

but do no what you meen by your experience.

like other said if you did cast near a loon and she did had babys it could go after you lures to protect them then the game warden saw that and did what he taught was ok.

but put yourself in is situation..

it all depend what happen and how.

younhger i saw some people on la lievre river here(val des bois) catching swan..whit bred and hooks and that was no accident.... :evil: pure imbecile people.

what can we do there still some off those in this world.

joco
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Common sense is easily applied in these kinds of situations....no?......thats why when Loons are neutral, if you get a follow, follow up with a figure eight to increase your hook-up percentage :lol: :lol:

I saw a sign at the launch the other day that asks you not to molest the birds....what kinda sick poo poo would molest a bird!!! :roll:
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

slop wrote:I saw a sign at the launch the other day that asks you not to molest the birds....what kinda sick poo poo would molest a bird!!! :roll:
:shock: Now there something that got lost in TRANSLATION :wink:
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

slop wrote:Common sense is easily applied in these kinds of situations....no?......thats why when Loons are neutral, if you get a follow, follow up with a figure eight to increase your hook-up percentage :lol: :lol:

I saw a sign at the launch the other day that asks you not to molest the birds....what kinda sick poo poo would molest a bird!!! :roll:
:lol: :lol: ...gotta love that figure 8 Grant!!