Out of season fish taking pics...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

OOPS wrong thread
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Xenos wrote:This sounds like the dilemma about fishing for Musky with a conservation license. That one is clear as mud as well.
What are you talking about, that one is clear as water, there is no problem fishing for muskies with a conservation license, you just can't keep any. It's easy to find that one on the MNR site you just need to look for the Q&A page and I believe it is question #3.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Xenos wrote:Musky is open, just not on the Ottawa River, witch brings up a point, This whole discussion started from a musky on the Ottawa. Is there really a difference between the Ottawa river and the Madawaska or Rideau? I have caught fish legally not 1 mile from where your telling me I can’t take a picture of one for I may harm it.
Yes there is a big difference in water temperatures which effect fish spawning. When there was discussions about the new regs including size limits and new dates for the opener it was decided that no damage will be done to all other waters as muskie are finish spawning but on the big river of Ottawa and St-Lawrance.

I was fishing on an open lake this weekend with water temps in the 66-67 range, I bet the Ottawa is still well under 60.
Richard Collin
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Thank you .

3. The catch and possession limit for muskellunge is zero (0) if I have a Conservation Fishing Licence. Does this mean I can't fish for these species?

Not at all. A catch limit is the number of a species that you are allowed to catch and keep in one day. (A possession limit is the total number of a species that you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit and so on.)
As long as you immediately live release any zero (0) limit fish you catch during the open season you may legally fish for them using a Conservation Fishing Licence.

Man I love this site.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

TY TM!!! I Thought it was right and you ended my search!!!I know you cannot keep on a con license But you can fish for them.But in my eyes it all comes down to if its in season,take your measuments and have a replica made!!!!Lasts alot longer and the fish still swims!!!Also for all who havent read properly I am asking about a quick snap shot even before the fish is seen!!!We all as fishers know when a big fish is on the end of our rope weather it is out of season or not I didnt even know it was a OOS till it was at my feet!!!!But I called my bro to get the cam cause I knew it was a bigger fish!!!!

T.L F.F
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Taking pictures of OOS fish is illegal period.
Where does it say that?...I agree that it is a sketchy subject but if we had proof that it is illegal and not just being said that it is this thread would die...

As Jean Chretien said....a proof is a proof then you have proof because proof is a proof because its proof... :lol: :lol:
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Taking a picture of a fish cannot be illegal. Whether or not you "immediately" release a fish would be dependent upon the CO's discretion.
If it were illegal then... taking a picture of a musky if you only had a conservation license would be illegal too... and taking a picture of an undersized fish ...yep, would be illegal... A definition of "immediate release" would clear up whether taking a picture is illegal. What if the picture is taken while taking the hook out? This is definitely a grey area, and I think most responsible anglers will use common sense and take pictures whenever they feel it wouldn't be detrimental to the fish.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

LOL

Post by jazman »

Nice one RJ

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Great points banjo, I agree totally
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Here is what I found this morning cleaning my e-mail inbox, this is quoted right from an MNR employee.

" richard - immediate release of a OOS fish is not defined in any law but you
are supposed to "immediately release" an OOS fish - so while technically it
is illegal to boat a fish that is OOS, obviously we have to boat it
to remove the hooks - again technically it is illegal to keep the fish for
pictures or measuring, but you'd only get in trouble if a Conservation
Officer came by at that particular time. "
Richard Collin
LORENZO
Participant
Participant

Post by LORENZO »