Hi everyone!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hi everyone!

Post by Snag »

I'm new to this board but am I ever glad I found it. I just started chatting at Catcherman.com and I somehow found out about this site. And to my surprise most of you live right near me, especially Bobber. I'm in Stittsville all the time! I just checked out your new Grace O'Maley's bar/restaurant, its a bit small and expensive but I really enjoyed myself.

Anyways, I have a cottage on the Ottawa River, near Pembroke, on the Quebec side. I'm closest to a small town called Chapeau on Allumette Island, has anyone heard of it?

This is about my third year of serious fishing and I'm determined to find all the Ottawa hot spots. In a couple of weeks I'm going to fish on the Rideau, near Kemptville, I hear thats a hot spot. After that someone at a local store called Le Baron recommended I fish at Andrew Haden Park (the Ottawa locals should have heard of this place).

I'm currently enrolled at the University of Ottawa and I've lived in Kanata (well I guess its all called Ottawa now) all my life.

There's nothing else really interesting about me so I'll finish my introduction, and I hope to get to know more of you guys and more about fishing around here.

Cheers,

Christine
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

Welcome beeing from NY I cant help with the hot spots but I know you will get the info you want from your new groop of friends.
Cracker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cracker »

Welcome to the board, Snag! If you are looking to learn about places to fish in the Nation's Capital and area... then you have come to the right place! :D
I'm still learning myself and enjoying every minute of it. :)

One thing you might want to look into is Catfest next weekend in Arnprior. There will be a lot of HawkTalkers there... one of us is bound to win. 8)
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Well C you sure found the right spot!!!Let me first of all say welcome to the board!!!!You are in for a real treat on here for I am a relativley new member aswell and the people on here are just awsome!!!

Any questions you may have I and all else will be happy to awnser them for you!

I personally am a shore fisher and if there is any info you may need I will offer all I can to help,also lived in Ottawa all my life.

Tight lines C,and welcome once again.

F.F
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

Welcome aboard (ST)...................lol :lol: no punn intended , I had to say that!

Great bunch of guy's and girl's here, with lot's of good info. I think you will really enjoy this site!

I know chapeau well I've fished there a few times, I was'nt far from there on the long week-end (Weastmeath). Do you know the Tremblay family? They live in Chapeau.

As for hot spot's your cottage is on one, Mattawa, Arnprior, just about anywhere along the ottawa river can be pretty productive!

CHEERS!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Snag

Wecome to the board :D I think you will find that all your questions will be answered on this board....If we don't know the answers ...someone will find a link that does :wink: :lol: Do you have a boat or do you shore line fish???

Post by Guest »

Snag
WELCOME TO THE BOARD! LOTS OF GREAT GUYS AND GALS TO SHOW YOU THE ROPES. ENJOY THE SITE AND FIRE AWAY AND QUESTIONS YOU HAVE.wHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SPECIES OF FISH TO CATCH?
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Welcome Snag,

There are so many minds at work on this board that will keep you informed and enlightened. You've chosen the best fishing community site around. We all look forward to your input and reports.

Slop.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI SNAGTHIS yes i do no chapeau did work there for some time
to change all the electrique meters all the island about 2000 meters
change theme for electronique one ,so i did change yours, you must have
fire route is it,,,,,,,,,,,,that was in 96 stayd at the hotel (che fred)
is it still open?

now i work in bryson just acros renfrer at the power dam
we catch a lot off walley there every lunch time,

victoria island is a good spot
petrie island
at the rideau fals
at the cros for ottawa and nation river
qyon very good for musky

have a great season :wink:

joco :)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI AGAIN snagthis

if you whant to fish on the side(on the shore)

rideau river have nice spot to

behind carleton university under bronson bridge
black rapid
the mill manotic
hogs back

and i forgot on the ottawa ,at th nepean marina nice pike.....

,,,,,,,,have you been past chapeau, shenrboro,shishester etc?

take care :wink:

joco 8)
joeIII
Participant
Participant

Post by joeIII »

Hello snag and welcome to the site. I too am new and found the people here to be very helpful and polite. I live in NY and have never fished Canadian waters, although in early Sep. me and a few friends are renting a houseboat on the Ottawa river for a few days. The boat leaves from Mattawa, is that anywhere near your cottage? If you find any hot spots in that area let me know, I could use all the help I can get!!
Good Luck!!
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Wow, did I ever get a lot of quick replies!

I'll try to answer all your questions.

hooked on fishing (HOF), Westmeath is very close to where I am, but unfortunately I havent heard of the Tremblay family. We just bought the plays about 4 years ago, and we have been fixing it up. We haven't had a chance to really tour through Chapeau. Is there anyone else you know?

Big-o I just got a boat for myself, so I'm just starting to fish around my cottage. But when I'm not at my cottage, I drive around to places where I can fish from shore. :)

Crazyhook, I love to fish for Bass. I know they aren't the most challenging species but the way they fight is just so fun! Other than Bass, I love to catch Pike, Walleye (although I haven't had much luck lately), and any fish that attacks my lure... except for turtles, they are a pain in the butt!

Joco, thanks so much for your info about fishing in Ottawa. I never really thought about fishing around Carleton U (maybe because I go to the rival school), but I will for sure give it a shot. I've been up and down Hogs Back to, I think I went swimming near there... I'll give that a shot! And Nepeans Marina is Andrew Haden Park, am I correct? I'm fishing there sometime in a couple of weeks. Qyon is also a good idea, my friend fishes a lot at Fitzroy. I know where Victoria Island is, but I've never fished there. Is it easy to get to by boat? Or would I be better fishing from shore? And Petrie Island, that I'm not sure where it is.

There is a fire route down River Road, thats really close to my cottage. The Hotel where you stayed is still there, near Fred's bar. The only real change is Fred's son died, who I think was a part owner.... so its under a few changes.

Joco, I go snowmobiling so I have been past Chapeau, and through Chichester but only in the winter really. Last year I went fishing under the bridge that goes to Chichester, I see a lot of people fishing there, but I didn't get much luck. I'll just have to try again.

Thanks again Joco for your info, I've written down those places and they are on my "to fish" list for this summer!

joeIII, I went on a boating trip near Mattawa and I really remember it because I saw a great big bear swimming accross the lake. That looks like it would have some great fishing. It is abotu a 2hrs drive from my cottage.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Gidday Sngths.

Welcome.

I'm a bit out of your way, but I lived there in Ottawa awhile myself and grew up in Perth. Still remember those streets, streams, backroads and lakes like the back of my hand. Any questions, fire away. The crew here can help.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Welcome aboard SnagThis...or should I say neighbor...and good to see yet another Hawk Talker on the board to share their experience and knowledge. I truly hope you get a lot from the people here, and perhaps someday soon we'll meet up on the water. If you check the board just before the weekend, you'll probably find where a lot of these people are going fishing. Heck, just Sunday I'm fishing on the Ottawa at Arnprior and I start talking to another boat....mentioned the weather was great and he said..."Yup....better than Muskrat" :shock: Who's dat...I yelled out. Turns out it was RJ and I didn't see the Fish-Hawk hat. I must have been blinded by the reflection off the morning water. :oops:

Then again tonight, on my way to Appleton with my son for a little father, son bonding (he beat me by the way, 10 sunfish, 1 bass, and 100 perch....give or take a few), a car rolls up next to me and toots the horn. I might be mistaken, but I think it was RJ again with his wife.

RJ, are you stalking me! :lol: :D

Anyway, hope to see you out there. Just look for the Fish-Hawk hats and come over to say hello. (reminder to self....ORDER MORE HATS)

Later,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Bobber wrote:. (reminder to self....ORDER MORE HATS)

Later,
I'll take 1 adult and 2 children. Seriously though, if you do plan on ordering a few, it wouln't hurt to see if a case of children hats are available.