Do you drink while fishing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you drink and fish?

Yes, Most of the time
15%
Yes, Though not often
22%
Not me, but my buddies some times bring it
4%
No way, I'm a candy-butt like hookup, no booze allowed
59%

Total votes: 96

WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:
WallyPro wrote:
TroutnMuskieHunter wrote: What's the difference???? :?
You've had a few too many if you're asking what the difference is... :roll:

I always drink when I go out out fishing... why not? A bit like drinking at the bar except you're out in the boat fishing. How much depends on if I'm driving the boat or not. If I'm driving I'll just have a few... if a buddy's driving I get nicely hammered.

We drive slowly and in control as well... not zipping all over the lake or anything like that. Just takin' our time...
and after a good day of drinking on the lake why not DRIVE home and run over my 6 year old daughter.

thats a great idea! :evil:
Not funny buddy. That wouldn't happen. Obviously anybody who has been drinking too much isn't going to be driving home.
Last edited by WallyPro on Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

Bobby Shimano wrote:Any open Alcoholic drinks in any public place is illegal, all lakes and rivers are public.

Bob
Not in Quebec!! You can have all the open alcoholic drinks you want in the boat as long as the driver isn't drinking... much.

Got stopped by the Quebec MNR and they didn't care about the drinks... just the size of the lakers on the stringer!

I wonder how that law applies to the Ottawa River? Never any MNR out there anyway...
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

I know this is cliche... but I might go so far as to say don't breach your skills. I'm a Newf that has commercial fishing experience. I plan ahead, read the weather, have cold-water immersion experience and training... none of that is worth a penny if you're too intoxicated to swim if you happen to fall in.

So enjoy them waters with a buddy and never over-imbibe! The Newf says so!

I got Conservation Officers in me family so I know with right respect the impact that infractions may cause. Heard many a story... too many... an inch has been too costly... I would never hurt a guy over an inch... my Aunt took a guys boat, truck and equipment over an inch... the fish was an inch too long... whatever....
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

what a dumb question do you drink and drive?????????? :idea:
joseph
Participant
Participant

booze & stupidity

Post by joseph »

Here is my reply. Most of us repect other people and their right to enjoy the outdoors. However, certain people do not care and care even less when they drink. Last year for example, the loudest people on the ice where the ones that were drinking. If you have to have booze on your outings, at least leave the rest of us in peace, and try to realice that your music, your rantings, and your general dumb behavior may be ok with your family but for others it is a nuisance. And. if you wish to insist on your rights, you have no right to drink in your boat, or out-of-doors, on the ice or on the shoreline. We would all be better off if people would show respect for th4e law and others.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

muskymike wrote:what a dumb question do you drink and drive?????????? :idea:
Thanks for your insight and comment. Your a class act man... if you were being funny... a light bulb at the end of your post didn't translate well for me... to me it reads... "get a clue".. aka, an insult to me, the poster of the question you are calling dumb.

If you looked over the posts in this thread one more time you'd see there has been some interesting comments on the subject....

You comment ads no value and is unappreciated.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day and need to go fishing more... maybe I'm over-reacting...
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

If you drink on the water,then you have to pee in the water. Kills fish, and hard to do in a kayak.
kingston-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by kingston-Mike »

It is a free country, though it does come with laws when it comes to alcohol consumption (in place for a reason).

But what turns me off are folks that turn what could've been a great fishing day/weekend into a drunkfest and can't get up in the morning due to a hangover. Then complain about the rotten fishing. :?

And so, I bought myself a canoe and go with someone who wants to fish...if no one is available, I'll go solo.[/i]
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Yes..LOTS!!!

Water, Timmies Coffee, Cola, Monster Energy drinks, juice.....

BUT NEVER BOOZE!!!

That's for on shore later!
Carmine
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmine »

what are the rules on that anyways is it only the driver must be sober or everyone on board???
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I never drink any alcohol while in the boat or even shore fishing. Don't get in the boat after drinks either
Couple of reasons come to mind...
(1) impairs judgement and reaction speed
(2) legalities where I fish
(3) bad example for the kids
(4) even if not driving the boat, someone else may need my help, eg medical emerg, accident etc

I'm not trying to be a do-gooder here, but those are my reasons
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

I have until this year, figure it's not a safe thing to do, will leave my beer in the cabin, have a few at lunch and head back out. I must confess i've done some stupid things in the past, had no rite being on the water, thank god nothing happened. Let's hope everyone is safe out there, Joe.
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Post by pikeonthe fly »

WallyPro wrote:
Fishing 24/7 wrote:
WallyPro wrote: You've had a few too many if you're asking what the difference is... :roll:

I always drink when I go out out fishing... why not? A bit like drinking at the bar except you're out in the boat fishing. How much depends on if I'm driving the boat or not. If I'm driving I'll just have a few... if a buddy's driving I get nicely hammered.

We drive slowly and in control as well... not zipping all over the lake or anything like that. Just takin' our time...
and after a good day of drinking on the lake why not DRIVE home and run over my 6 year old daughter.

thats a great idea! :evil:
Not funny buddy. That wouldn't happen. Obviously anybody who has been drinking too much isn't going to be driving home.
Unfortunately, the statistics would indicate otherwise....all too often.
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

I quite enjoy a beer or two while fishing on a summers day. I definitly wouldn't be pounding them back at any crazy rate though. I honestly wouldn't see the problem with having some kind of legal limit similiar to driving for example. I mean a beer ever few hours is relaxing and won't make you incapable of sounds decisions,reactions,
or judgements.

Just my 2 cents
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Carmine wrote:what are the rules on that anyways is it only the driver must be sober or everyone on board???
From what I know, you can only drink on a boat if the boat is equiped with a toilet and running water.

Its not hard to outfit your boat with. Just get a jug, fashion yourself a seat, and then get a little aquarium pump to suck water into the jug!!