Old Split Bamboo Fly Rod??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fish'n Technish'n
Participant
Participant

Old Split Bamboo Fly Rod??

Post by Fish'n Technish'n »

Friend gave me an old Split Bamboo fly rod. Don't know much about them. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who could've made it/when and any other info etc. I don't want to take it out on the lake if is something of value, but sure does seem to have a smooth action to it!

Thanks,

FT
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bamboo Fly Rod

Post by Superdad »

Are there any markings on the rod as to name of maker, length etc...?

If you can figure out who made it, you can trace that with google and google can put you intouch with Bamboo rod collectors - the whole nine yards.

Lotsa Luck

David aka Superdad
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Could possibly be a Hexagraph...?
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

A couple ways to help determine the quality:

-look to see if it has a taper of any kind, the more intricate the taper, the more precision and work went into creating it, thus possibly a better rod.
- Check for names or markings on the butt section of the rod.
- Check the shape of the circumference. Is it square? Hexagonal?
- Look at the guide wrappings to not only judge the quality of the thread wraps, but also to look for nicks or cracks in the epoxy.
- Condition of the cork, shape of the cork, condition of the guides, real seat, real seat material, number of tips.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

As already been said, would need particulars before judging.

Todays new split bamboo fly rods are pricey, often $2k or more.

Antique ones may have interest for a collector and value would be a function of rarity (supply-demand). Some would be worth quite a bit, if it is rare and in excellent condition.

I have a couple older cane poles (not fly-rods) that are not worth much but they do have a nostalgic look and feel to them. I still use them occasionally and the action is great.

So either way, you should either have a gold mine or at least, a decent fly rod. Get the manufacturer name and get it appraised. Be careful who you sell it to - if someone offers you $200 it is likely worth 10x that.
Fish'n Technish'n
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish'n Technish'n »

Took a closer look last night. It is definitely hexagon shaped and 3 pieces but I could not make out any kind of markings on it.
Did ask the friend who gave it to me...he thinks it was made by "Hawk Henshaw"(?) in London,Ont., a loooong time ago. Googled that and came up empty.
The action is certainly smooth and unique compared to the graphite ones!

FT
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

If there are no markings on the rod, then it's unlikely to be of much value to anyone else but you. If there is no visible damage then take it out and use it. These old split cane rods were hand built and made to be used. They have character that you just don't find in modern rods. Take it out and have fun.

Now if it had a label that said "Hardy Bros" that would be a different story....