CANOE PONTOONS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Most canoes hang the seats from the gunwales. To lower the seats you just use a longer bolt and block of wood. Here is a kit from MEC (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302701079) though you can make your own for much cheaper. Personally, I would try this before investing in buying or making your own pontoons.

But if you are set on the pontoons, do as you wish. Just remember that the canoe will be much slower, more difficult to take in and out of the water, more difficult to transport, etc.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i will back up what rob said.

PLUS..it sad wen you get a nice fish and the line get tangle in those outrigers...... :x and you lost them.. :cry:

but you can have something a lot closer to your canoe and that not tutch the water wen paddling is the way to go.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

one more thing you could do.

put sponson on the canoe itself.
you no like the radison canoe have on them..foam on eatch side.

http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/Sponson%20Kit.htm
http://www.sailboatstogo.com/v_page.php ... t=sponsons

those will help a lot for stabilsation..plus you wont get caught as often if at all...plus not as mutch in the way etc

just do a search on the net................

sponson.

some are inflatable..easy to put like mins..and can take it off etc.

joco
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Two 4 ft lenths of pipes PVC.ABS etc. with end caps about 4 in. dia. Connect with two 6 ft. lenths of 2 in. PVC pipes. :) :) :idea:
Homer Is King
Participant
Participant

Post by Homer Is King »

Great thread guys, lots of info! I just picked up a canoe and was looking to build a stabilizer. I combined several ideas that I saw here to come up with this.

I used a 2X6 for the base (I had 1 on hand) and bolted it to the cross beam. I attached Scotty rod holders and used 1.5" ABS piping and boat bumpers. It's adjustable for conditions (in and out, up and down). The total cost was about $125 and took approx 4 hours to build.

I fish with 3 young kids in the boat. They can all hang over one side with no fear of tipping. I haven't tried standing and casting yet but I am confident the stabilizers will hold me.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

good job....... :wink:

nicely done...adjustable..and simple.

thanks to share

joco
Walleye Ric
Participant
Participant

Post by Walleye Ric »

I just looked at the outriggers they were selling. How about 2 rod holders with some plumbing piping with a couple of noodles or half of a noodle attached at the end. you could have them set at whatever angle works for the situation.

Just a Thought