New law for the Ottawa (apparantley)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

New law for the Ottawa (apparantley)

Post by toobinator »

Some customers were in this morning and said they were stopped on the Quebec side of the Ottawa and had their licences checked. One person had a conservation licence and was informed that you can fish on both sides with an Ontario regular licence, but only on the Ontario side with a conservation licence. This apparantley is a new law and warnings are being handed out this year. Next year charges will be laid. It sounds like this is a Quebec law and is subject to verification, but something I thought that the Hawktalkers should be made aware of.

Ed Toobinator Puddephatt
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

So what you are saying is that the folks with Conservation licenses can't fish on the Quebec side of the Ottawa even if they launched from Ontario....If that is so..that is pathetic!
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Ottawa even if they launched from Ontario
Hey it just hit me, I launch in Quebec to fish below the Ottawa filtration plant. Do I need a Quebec License?

toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

As I understand it, you can launch and fish from either side of the Ottawa with a regular licence, but only the Ontario side with a conservation licence.

Ed
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Que.

Post by Jigs »

:?

:shock: And the reason for this is????????????

1. Just to alienate and p.off more anglos.
2. To ensure that more than two fish (conservation) are caught thereby making sure the fish population is reduced somewhat.
3. To generate a ship load of fines for the coffers of Que.
4. To give credence to the widley held belief that most governments dont know sxxt from shinola.
5. Any or none of the above.
:x
Regards: Jigs.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ed?

Post by Cancatchbass »

Ed- are you sure about the being able to launch and return (with fish) to the Quebec side with only an Ontario license, conservation or sport?

I would think you'd need a PQ license to be in possession of fish on Quebec land.

As for the new regulation as to not being able to fish the Quebec side of the river without a full sport license- if this is true, it reminds me of why I left Quebec many years ago... :lol:

CCB- still mad about not receiving my PQ tax refund 30 years ago. :twisted:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

As far as I understand it....wherever you launch from is the license you must have...meaning you cant luanch in PQ with your Ont license...

Now if you are on the Ottawa and pass a highway bridge on the water you are now required to have a PQ license...

RJ
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

In protest we should all caravan into Hull and make some right hand turns on a red. :lol:
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

There is absolutely no information on this subject on the Quebec Ministry site - another urban legend???

From the Quebec Ministry site http://www.fapaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/publicat ... idents.htm

INFORMATION TO NON-RESIDENTS

Non-residents must hold a Québec sportfishing licence to fish anywhere in Québec. However, this licence is not required when fishing in a park managed by Parks Canada or in a fish pond (see Fish Pond). The spouse and children of a non-resident may fish without a licence in some cases (see Fishing without a licence).

Holders of an Ontario sportfishing licence are treated the same as holders of a Québec sportfishing licence for the purposes of sportfishing in Zone 25 and in lakes Clarice, Labyrinthe and Raven (Zone 13) as well as in that part of lake Saint-François (Zone 8) west of a line drawn from Beaudette point on the northern shore to Saint-Louis point on the southern shore. The same applies to holders of a New Brunswick sportfishing licence for the purpose of angling in the Patapédia (Zone 2) and Ristigouche (Zones 1 and 2) salmon rivers. Fish caught in these waters and kept are considered caught in Québec and must be included in the daily fishing quota and possession limits.

Non-residents who wish to fish north of the 52nd parallel (Zones 19 south, 22 north, 23, 24 and 29), or east of the Saint-Augustin river (Zone 19 south), must use the services of an outfitter. For more information, contact the Nord-du-Québec or the Côte-Nord regional office.

If you launch from the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, you are required to have a Quebec license - you will be transporting the fish through Quebec on your return to Ontario and if stopped will be fined.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Que fishing

Post by Jigs »

I have relatives in Que., and used to go to visit them quite a bit. NO more.

If I visit the Maritimes again, I will make sure the gas tank is full before I enter no mans land; and never stop till I'm thru it.

I will leave not cent one in the country of Que. My govt. gives them enough money without me.

Separatits:: Like my wife moving to another room in the house, and has all the rights in the house, but I still pay the mortgage and groceries.

Just a sickening bunch.

If I get kicked out of Hawk Talk for this so be it.

Regards: Jigs.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI JIGS

I think you are going a bit to far with the quebec.dont you
think so budy, there so mutch place you could go fishing
so many lakes ,rivers etc,,,,,,,,,so nice.

i go fishing mainly in quebec 80/20 ontario,
evrywere is diferente,,,,,

i am frome quebec and have nothing to say frome ontario
its a great place to,i like the 2 of theme, there are the same just a river
betwen theme in here so.........

take care, and come fish here in quebec , nice fishing to budy

joco
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Jigs, like a few other misguided folks I think you better do a little studying up on the provincial sharing that you are alluding to with your comment about "your" government. On a per capita basis the tax payers in Quebec pay a like amoount (same percentage as Ontario) to the federal pool that is shared with the other poorer provincial economies.

If you have a misunderstanding about politics then take it to a political board this place is for fishing conversations.

I find your choice of words and thought ignorant of truth and biased to the worst degree. Get a little bit of real education on this country we all call home and maybe just maybe you'll come to understand just what it is that makes our land so great.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Ok folks....lets forget about this.....It is really not a place for politics. :? Some information was shared and rightfully so. Now we all want to know if it is correct or not but I think it best we all leave our personal feelings seperate and remember this sight is about fishing and making friends while doing it, so before it gets out of hand please lets just focus on the question and try to find the answer but leave our personal views out so no hard feelings develop. :)
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Jigs is defiantly getting flamed, ( and deserved it) since the score is now 2 to 1 hopefully this thread will end, I’m here for the fishing not the flaming. And I would prefer if we can keep it this way.

JMHO
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Canadian Bacon, good call. Did it really take me 4 minutes to write that?