Lowrance LMS 525C-DF problem

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lowrance LMS 525C-DF problem

Post by Mike M »

Could really use some help solving a problem with my Lowrance. A couple of weeks ago I left the console power button "on" for a week which drained my battery. I recharged the battery, but now I can't get the GPS to lock-on to any satellites. The GPS worked fine before the power drain. I've searched the Lowrance FAQs and there is a note there that says low voltage will affect the GPS, but now that the voltage is back up to par, shouldn't the GPS problem go away? I've cleaned all the splices from the antenna back to the unit and the problem is still there. Anyone else ever experience this?
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Try unhooking your antenna from the unit for about 1/2 hr and then try again...I was told by lowrance that the antenna will sometimes fail but by unhooking it , it will reset itself...it worked for me, I was almost ready to buy another 200$ antenna
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Does your GPS show module not responding or is just trying to search for satelites but not picking any up??? If it is just continually searching and not picking up the antennae is done. I had this happen to me this year and I had to replace it. If it is showing GPS module not responding it could need a reset or it could be a power problem. Go to the Lowrance website and somewhere on there(I'n not exactly sure where but I'll see if I can find it) you can find wiring diagrams that tell you what you should be seeing for voltage. I hope it's a simple fix for you but I'm afraid it's going to end up being your antennae :(
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

The GPS does not show "Module not responding". It does show that message when I disconnect the antenna, but the message disappears when I reconnect. I'll try Matt's suggestion to disconnect the antenna for a half-hour or so, but I'm not going to hold my breath that it will work. After some net searching today, I've discovered another forum where this identical problem is discussed at great length, and the problem is a reliability issue with the LGC-3000 puck antenna. Some folks have gone through 4 or 5 antennas in a year. At 200 a pop, I'll only try one. If that fails, I'll be replacing the whole FF/GPS combo.
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lowrance

Post by Abraxus »

Yup! It just happened to me this year as well. My unit was just over two years old and the Antenae fried. Cost me $300.00! I am thinking I got ripped off on the new Antenae. In any event, I have installed a new one and it too is not performing up to snuff! It is always losing contact with the Satalites and I am constantly getting the "Position Lost" and "Position Acquired" messages on my screen. The freaking location arrow almost always has a question mark on it! I am actually disgusted with Lowrance. Their products work well when they work, but more often not, they wear out prematurely and the company has no product support what so ever! A company that does not stand behind it's goods isnt worth the sap that god gave trees if you ask me! Now they have the HD models available, and I say screw that! They look pretty but buyer beware! Lowrance does not respect its customer base what so ever! Good looks but poor customer service and the reliability factor is crap at best!

Ab
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Graembo »

Tell me about it. My lgc-2000 was $380 to expedite one from a certain kingston store that supposedly gives good deals...yeah right...

Ended up shipping one up from a kind gal in Texas for $195 last week. Not sure there's much else to buy out there, but all this chinese crap seems to last up to about 3 weeks after warranty expires :evil:

But who are WE, really, to say anything...we keep on buying it... :?

G
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Graembo wrote:Tell me about it. My lgc-2000 was $380 to expedite one from a certain kingston store that supposedly gives good deals...yeah right...

Ended up shipping one up from a kind gal in Texas for $195 last week. Not sure there's much else to buy out there, but all this chinese crap seems to last up to about 3 weeks after warranty expires :evil:

But who are WE, really, to say anything...we keep on buying it... :?

G
simmer down there brah...LOL.......have a cold one......... AC not working in the office today?
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

In any event, I have installed a new one and it too is not performing up to snuff! It is always losing contact with the Satalites and I am constantly getting the "Position Lost" and "Position Acquired" messages on my screen.
That maybe an easy fix for you. It sounds like you have a bad connection in your power. I had this problem the first year I owned mine also. I checked my connections and they seemed fine but if you wiggled them just right it would cut out. Try tracing your power supply cords for your antennae and replace them. I also replaced the fuse holder while I was at it and I haven't had a problem since(knock on wood) :roll:
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Graembo »

fatluke wrote:simmer down there brah...LOL.......have a cold one......... AC not working in the office today?
Oh it's definitely shaping up to be a 'road' day today.....package just showed up with an $82 brokerage fee attached :evil: :evil: :evil: Guess they missed the "S" in USPS and sent it gadang UPS, just can't seem to win these days!! :roll:
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

MuskyMatt,

Wanted to thank you for the suggestion to unhook the antenna for 1/2 an hour. After trying several other options (soft and hard reset, cleaning all the connections, ensuring I had a "full" charge on the battery) nothing seemed to work. I remembered your suggestion to unhook the antenna from the plotter for a half hour and low and behold it worked. The GPS is getting a good lock on 7-8 satellites. Thanks again.

Mike
flips
Participant
Participant

Post by flips »

Yup! It just happened to me this year as well. My unit was just over two years old and the Antenae fried. Cost me $300.00! I am thinking I got ripped off on the new Antenae. In any event, I have installed a new one and it too is not performing up to snuff! It is always losing contact with the Satalites and I am constantly getting the "Position Lost" and "Position Acquired" messages on my screen. The freaking location arrow almost always has a question mark on it!

Ab

I had this problem with my LMS 320, When I disabled the WAAS, the problem stopped.

Flips