new on the ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

new on the ice

Post by Jebby »

hey all. that season is comming and ive never been into it. I live in Windsor so my selection close to home is limited but there are a few marinas and channals off the detroit river that are popular. im looking to get some basic gear on a low budget. looking for a list of basics and what i should expect to pay. wondering specificly what its gunna run me to get a hand auger and a few rods. thanks

Jebby
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Here is a rough guide. You can always spend more on each item.

The basics
Hand Auger - $35-$65
Ice Skimmer - $3-$9
Tip-ups - $10-$17
Rod Holders - $3-$6
Rod & Reel Combos - $20-$30
Bait Bucket/Seat - $20-$25

Don't forget a good pair of gloves($20-$25). You will also need an efficent way of hauling your gear on the ice, so if you don't have a portable shelter that has a sled, you'll need to buy one of those ($10-$15).

Not listed are all the jigs, spoons, hooks, weights, etc.. You could just spend $30 or $300 on this stuff :)

Depending on how many rods and tip-ups, you could set yourself up for the ice fishing season with the above between $175 and $250.

There are some more expenses item you may want to look at. Below they are listed in order of priority (in my opinion).

High ticket items
1. Flasher (Vexilar or Marcom) - $315-$450
2. Portable Shelter - $225-$440
3. Power Auger - $350-$500

Cheers,

Mike
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Look around on Used sites right now like UsedWindsor or Kijiji.

This is the time of year many folks are clearing stuff out.

What do you mean by "budget"???

You can find all inclusive packages with a power auger, shelter, rods etc for well under $1000 on these sites.

As for buying a Flasher....until you KNOW your going to like it I'd suggest looking for past holes....easy to find cuz people mark em with branches etc.

Also, generally most folks are very nice if they meet you out on the ice (but not all!) and will gladly assist or even drill a hole or 2 for you or at least lend you an auger to do so.

As for gear you can get fitted with a rod and some jigs for well under $60 new.
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Jimmy from the Valley wrote: Also, generally most folks are very nice if they meet you out on the ice (but not all!) and will gladly assist or even drill a hole or 2 for you or at least lend you an auger to do so.
Yes most out on the ice are friendly and I will even drill a few holes with my hand auger for others but I'll never lend it to someone I don't know well. I've seen too many auger blades or even the complete augers totaled by people who don't know how to use them properly.
Tap on the ice to clean the slush off. :roll: :roll: :x
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Jimmy from the Valley wrote:As for buying a Flasher....until you KNOW your going to like it I'd suggest looking for past holes....easy to find cuz people mark em with branches etc.
What?? :P :P

Mike summed everything up in his post. The reality is, ice fishing comfortably nowadays is not cheap. Investing in qualitiy stuff is the best advice I can give you for cold weather gear. You pay a bit more but will get years out of your equipment. A lot of cheap stuff out there that won't get you through a winter, let alone a single outing.

Here is another basic checklist I found on searching google...
http://www.icefishingworld.com/ice_fish ... pment.html
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Tip-up wrote:
Jimmy from the Valley wrote:As for buying a Flasher....until you KNOW your going to like it I'd suggest looking for past holes....easy to find cuz people mark em with branches etc.
What?? :P :P

Mike summed everything up in his post. The reality is, ice fishing comfortably nowadays is not cheap. Investing in qualitiy stuff is the best advice I can give you for cold weather gear. You pay a bit more but will get years out of your equipment. A lot of cheap stuff out there that won't get you through a winter, let alone a single outing.

Here is another basic checklist I found on searching google...
http://www.icefishingworld.com/ice_fish ... pment.html
Nah Tippy...the easiest way is to head out with you a few times...You have all the gear etc so someone can see what they do or don't need....So we getting out with Matt for a ice fish up in Ompah this year??
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Jimmy from the Valley wrote:Look around on Used sites right now like UsedWindsor or Kijiji.

This is the time of year many folks are clearing stuff out.

What do you mean by "budget"???

You can find all inclusive packages with a power auger, shelter, rods etc for well under $1000 on these sites.

Hi,

I am with Jimmy, I found Ice auger at kijiji starting from 15 $.
And if you are searching into this site you could find many things with low price.

ASK
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Peter, Matt's living in Alberta right now. That's right. He's going scouting for fishing spots in the mountains tomorrow as a matter of fact :D

A couple of hawkers and I are working on putting ice tournament for next year. Were going to have to get some info out soon so folks can mark the date in their schedules. I plan is to do a lot more local fishing this winter and also want to spend a lot of time trying catching a my first lake trout on ice :lol: You name the catch and let's do it.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

thanks for the info guys. around here its pritty much sit at a hole in a marina channal and jig up some perch. cant afford much but thinkin a hand auger (hopefully i can find one used) and a few rods will do (have line and jigs and stuff)
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

ice fishing

Post by CCLad »

Jebby wrote:thanks for the info guys. around here its pritty much sit at a hole in a marina channal and jig up some perch. cant afford much but thinkin a hand auger (hopefully i can find one used) and a few rods will do (have line and jigs and stuff)
Don't cheap out on the auger, sharp, blades are a must. If a blade is bent by as little as 1 or 2 degree's the strat of your ice fishing trip won'rt be any fun!

If you have reels, spool up with 8-10 lbs mono, and get a couple of cheap ice rods, a bucket of minnows and your fishing - stay warm and good luck.

Oh yes, know the ice/body of water that you are going to venture out on.....
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Yes you can spend countless dollars on fishing gear....I would suggest going out a few times to figure out if ice fishing is your thing before you fork out a ton of cash.

orrsey
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Hand augers a relatively cheap. Buy new. If the blade attachment points are even slight bent (almost impossible to tell by looking) the auger will be useless or take many hours playing with shims to get it to work reasonably. Many used augers for sale are because they where mistreated. 2 people out of 4 I know have been burnt when they bought used augers. Even new blades wouldn't help.
I've had my 8" Mora hand auger for over 20 years and it still works great. I am going to put on it's 4th set of blades this year. Treat augers well & they last for years. Never let anyone else use it unless your 125% sure they know how to use it properly. One tap on the ice to remove the slush can at best total your blades and if the attachment points are twisted ruin the auger.

Rick
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Woodsman has it right. New hand augers are cheap. If you buy second hand be ready to have to buy new blades the first time you use it. It doesn't take much to ruin an auger blade. Might not even look bad when you look at the blades closely.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

here in QC we have 5 holes per guy.

i was doing 15 holes. every 2 houres when running and gunning on ice.

then i got a tendinitis in the shoulder.

something i dont want to get EVER again in my life.

gas ONLY!
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Jebby cheap and basic:
-Used 6" Auger 20$
-Fresh blades 20$
-Plastic ice scoop 5$
-Tip-up 10$
-Couple small jigs 15$
-Ice rod 10$
-Your reel from the
summer. free
-Any old bucket to
carry gear and sit on. free

As long as you have some warm clothes already your looking
at about 80$ and you can find some perch on the hard stuff.
Could use a 4" auger but if you hook something else a youll be glad
you drilled a 6" hole. Also 65$ will get you brand new 6" auger.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!