Ice Shack Lighting?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice Shack Lighting?

Post by Seabass81 »

This years Ice shack is gonna be small in comparison too the last one. Its 6x8 and all bench seating and holes in the floor. I am looking for a decent light to run off of a 12v deep cycle battery. I rather not use a invertor.

My last shack had a standard screw-in bulb but was 12v. It worked perfectly. When fishing at night I like alot of light so the string led's wont do.

John
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

John, our old shack sitting at Oziles has a 12v screw-in system in it... grab it if it's still rotting back there :lol:
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

You might want to look at using LED lights; the trick here is to find a "warm" light, not the rude hard-on-the-eyes one. Try searching for RV bulbs, they are available for interior lighting for RV's, very low power consumption.
If you use LED then you would be able to power it off of a smaller battery, like the one you would use for a portable fish finder.

Princess auto has some LED bulbs (replacements for 1156, 1157 tail lights) but they would be the harsh light. They might do ok if you have a better diffuser around them.

I designed for an ice shack that has 4x8 floor, angled walls for backrest and full benches. The shape of the shack allows it to fit in the back of a truck, the benches extend over the box sides (it is easier to load on a trailer though). This will comfortably seat six (only two holes). Some members here probably saw it on the Rideau River at Kemptville creek last winter. This year it will be on the RR just south of James Island.

I designed this for our local Fish and Game club (Osgoode), one of our members is an artist and did the mural.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

That looks like a great hut design!!
I would put the roof ribs up-down instead, but I like the design...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I used the Camping trailer LED's from Princess Auto......needed 2 of them to cover our 8X8....great lighting

RJ
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

Thanks everybody for the great idea's.

RJ I will have to swing by princess auto and take a look. Do you remember the price roughly?

John
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Wasn't much at all....maybe 20 bucks....
777BassMan
Participant
Participant

Post by 777BassMan »

777BassMan
Participant
Participant

Post by 777BassMan »

http://www.grote.com/prodcat/printcatfi ... 20P_IL.pdf
model # 61371

not expensive and put out a lot of light. I used a lot of them on truck and really durable.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

we hook up a car batterie and they seen to run our shandileers quite well :lol: :lol: 8)
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

They had lights similar to this in the boat section at CT. Not sure if they have put them away for the season or not. But they were only like $15.

They do a great job and use almost no power. A show of how well they light up The Money Pit.

They would light up a 6x8 so bright you'll need shades.

Bill
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Talk about a spacy and comfortable ice shack M.T. and well lit. But where do you drill the holes/???
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Rico24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico24 »

Wallyboss wrote:Talk about a spacy and comfortable ice shack M.T. and well lit. But where do you drill the holes/???
:lol: :lol:
TonyThompson
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice Shack Lighting?

Post by TonyThompson »

Seabass81 wrote:This years Ice shack is gonna be small in comparison too the last one. Its 6x8 and all bench seating and holes in the floor. I am looking for a decent led lights to run off of a 12v deep cycle battery. I rather not use a invertor.

My last shack had a standard screw-in bulb but was 12v. It worked perfectly. When fishing at night I like alot of light so the string led's wont do.

John
Hello friend sorry for old thread reply but which lights are you using for ice shack? I am looking to get new lights so please give some useful tips
GregRamsey
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice Shack Lighting?

Post by GregRamsey »

Seabass81 wrote:This years Ice shack is gonna be small in comparison too the last one. Its 6x8 and all bench seating and holes in the floor. I am looking for a decent light to run off of a 12v deep cycle battery. I rather not use a invertor.

My last shack had a standard screw-in
led light but was 12v. It worked perfectly. When fishing at night I like alot of light so the string led's wont do.

John
Which lights have you got? I need new Ice shack lights so please provide me some suitable option
Last edited by GregRamsey on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.