No licence!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

No licence!

Post by topraider »

True story!

On the weekend we were fishing the Ottawa river and returning to the Ontario shore, where we were staying. On shore there were two Quebec CO's sitting at a picnic table by the docks writing up a couple of people for not having a valid fishing licence.

It seems the Quebec CO's were cruising the Ontario side of the river and spotted a couple of adults and a kid fishing off a private dock. Upon finding out they had no fishing licence, they nailed them!

Basically, they each had to come up with $130 cash on the spot (the kid got off) or else, they threatened, they would call the OPP to get them thrown in the slammer! They also questioned everyone else arriving back by boat as to whether they had been fishing, and asked for licences.
devy
Participant
Participant

out of jurisdiction?

Post by devy »

I would of thought that because they were on the ottawa side of the river that any rules/regs would pertain to the province of Ontario and therefore could only be enforced by ontario conservation officers. Do the surete de Quebec have authority to set up speed traps on the ottawa side of the bridges and lay charges. I have never seen that. What would of happened if the poor people did not have the money on hand. To me, it seems a little "fishy"
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Since when do fines have to be paid on the spot?...I would have told them to call the police....I agree with Devy....something ain't right there!

RJ
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

It's about time, we can't count on the Ontario Co's to check folks here. :cry: Somebody has to get the poachers too, saw another guy using two poles to fish for perch. Man one must really suck at fishing when you have to cheat to catch perch.

I too think the cash on the spot a bit of a weard thing, I believe it is because the fine was from Quebec ministry and they have no recourse coming after them ( Ontario residents ) for non payment.

I sure don't feel sorry for them, everyone knows you need a license to fish.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Chrome_A_Saurus
Participant
Participant

Post by Chrome_A_Saurus »

That seems really strange to me .... I was under the impression that in a boat...a CO from either side can check your license but not from shore. I always though that would fall under the jurisdiction on which they were fishing.

As for money on the spot thing well if my above statement is true then that fact they wanted money up front is not only strange but does the moeny from fines not "go back" into the MNR for "research " and what not...and I use those terms lightly. So since quebec has a seperate "money reserve" than Ottawa....should the money not go to the Ottawa chapter.

I dunno, I could be was off base here

Cheers and Tightlines,

C.A.S.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

CASH ON THE SPOT :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: I think i would be making some calls ASAP .....I have never heard of any one paying cash!!!
did any one get a badge number????
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topraider »

There were a ton of legal documents spread out on the picnic table. When we first encounted that scene, I thought it might be something serious. I am sure the names of the CO's were stated on the "customers copy" of that legal documentation.

These folks were given another option to paying cash, and that was to appear in court at Campbell's Bay, P.Q. on September 1. They chose to pay cash.

We asked the CO's about a lot of orange (beach ball) type buoys we observed throught the river. There is a commercial fisherman who goes after the Sturgeon, and they are now required to conspicuously mark their nets. They use gill nets with a four inch mesh.

Messing with those nets could also result in a big fine.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Paying on the spot is true in PQ. My uncle got nailed for speedin on his way up to Manawaki and had to pay on the spot. Glad to see someone is doing there jobs.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Huh!

Post by Cancatchbass »

If I was approached by a Quebec equivalent of a C.O. on Ontario soil, I don't think I would feel the need to co-operate with him/her at all. Let alone hand over cash.

I would wonder if they have any juresdiction and insist they have an MNR officer come to the scene. If the Ontario MNR C.O. wants to charge me with something- fine.

Do Ontario C.O.'s wander into Baie Noire and check boats? I seriously doubt it.

Is it just me, or does this scenerio smell???

CCB
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

it does smell....like I said...they threatened to call the cops?....I would have handed them my cell phone...

though I do like to see them nailing people without licences!

RJ
LORENZO
Participant
Participant

Post by LORENZO »

Hey Guys.
This situation also bothers me, just to let everybody know that I have sent an e-mail to M.N.R about this. As soon as they reply with an answer I will post it. In my personel opinion they should stay on their on side of the province.

LORENZO ( B.A.A )
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Lorenzo...what'd you find out? Something sounds real fishy here. The family was fishing the Ontario side? Can't see the Quebec CO's having jurisdiction over here :!:

But then again, you never know!..Another double standard? :shock:
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Update

Post by topraider »

These folks got their $260 back!

I guess some higher ups in the Quebec ministry got wind of what happened and the two CO's came back later with the money and an apology.

Quebec CO's can't issue tickets for fishing without a licence while landed in Ontario.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

I/m glad that we now know that PQ C/O 's can't give tickets on the Ontario side...well at least if they are on shore they can't....now what we need is Ontario C/O's to go over and fine these people for fishing with out a Licence :?
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Thanks for the update topraider...

This did sound fishy to me and than I got thinking. Just cause it was Quebec COs that caught them fishing without a license on the Ontario side doesn't mean they shouldn't have been charged.

The fact is they didn't have ANY license (Ontario or Quebec). Given you can fish the Ottawa River with either license still means you need a license at least one license.

I don't agree that Quebec COs are patroling the Ontario shoreline but all I have to say is at least they are. Where are the Ontario COs? If Quebec has the funding to do this why doesn't Ontario.

Last word, congrads to the Quebec COs for catching someone commiting an offense. Too bad the politics of this problem allow them to go uncharged. To the people charged/not charged, get a license. It cost less than 20 bucks.

Cheers,

Mike