Daiwa muskie reels....mc 300 vs ms 300

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Roughneck1860
Participant
Participant

Daiwa muskie reels....mc 300 vs ms 300

Post by Roughneck1860 »

I've got a buddy of mine just getting into muskie fishing and is looking for a casting reel. I use Abu's my self and my son just got a new Shimano but my buddy has always been a Daiwa guy. Has anyone used either the Millionaire M-C 300 classic (red) or the Millionaire M-S 300 (gold) reels and have any opinion on them? I've used Luna 300's before and they are very nice reel but there's big difference between a $300 reel and an $80 reel.

thanks
Tim
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

I would go with the S over the Classic any day. Purely for frame construction. The steel frame reels will not last as well as the alluminum stock. Think about 80-100lb zero stretch line and the reel constantly under stress of casting/trolling not to mention the bone jaring strike of a monster fish.

The S has a better drag system too.

For casting, many MUskie anglers are switching to the low profile reels like the Curado 300 and the new ABU Revo. Many will say the steel frame reels like the ABUs and Okumas (similar to the classic) are fine for starters, and the are, but if you start getting serious then solid Aluminum stock reels are the only way to go. You've got 6 months!! start saving and buy the good stuff and you won't regret it.